An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do Believers Come To Terms With The Glaring Misogyny In The Bible?

Medic

Sexist, not misogynistic. Terms matter.   :like:

In all seriousness, you do bring up an important issue.  Quite frankly, I don't have a great answer right now, if you're willing to wait I'll try and come up with one.  I'll PM you, probably a better way of doing this anyhow.  

Ok sounds good, I look forward to it....til then take care :)

Jews were sinners...Paul was a sinner....I don't see why its a stretch to think parts of the Bible could be inspired but not perfect...Note I'm not saying that's my postion since its pry a mortal sin or something and I could be burned at the stake....Its just an idea that I'm throwing out there....After coming to terms with some of the stuff in the Bible...

yep

considering the only thing you have contributed to this discussion are insults, and a "yep"......  does it tickle your naughty bits to be a smug turd?

KnightofChrist

Sexist, not misogynistic. Terms matter.   :like:

In all seriousness, you do bring up an important issue.  Quite frankly, I don't have a great answer right now, if you're willing to wait I'll try and come up with one.  I'll PM you, probably a better way of doing this anyhow.

Well I don't read minds but I bet if he could form an actual argument it would go a little something like this...

1 Timothy 2:12 teaches misogyny because it excludes women from the priesthood, bishopric and papacy. This exclusion is the bases for the teaching of misogyny in 1 Timothy 2:12.

A sound retort would go something like this...

If that is the case is it misandry if a feminine religion were to exclude males from the priestess-hood? Or would it be misandry for a woman's group to exclude men from leadership roles within the organization? Would it be some form of hatred for the NAACP to exclude whites from leadership roles within that organization?

Well I don't read minds but I bet if he could form an actual argument it would go a little something like this...

1 Timothy 2:12 teaches misogyny because it excludes women from the priesthood, bishopric and papacy. This exclusion is the bases for the teaching of misogyny in 1 Timothy 2:12.

A sound retort would go something like this...

If that is the case is it misandry if a feminine religion were to exclude males from the priestess-hood? Or would it be misandry for a woman's group to exclude men from leadership roles within the organization? Would it be some form of hatred for the NAACP to exclude whites from leadership roles within that organization?

ok so I get it, you defend the treatment of women in the bible....you got so hung up on a bible verse you missed the bigger picture...and this is what happens when people use bible verses.....the examples I gave more than amply supports the misogyny in the bible...

KnightofChrist

ok so I get it, you defend the treatment of women in the bible....you got so hung up on a bible verse you missed the bigger picture...and this is what happens when people use bible verses.....the examples I gave more than amply supports the misogyny in the bible...

What I understand is that you are simply a troll who can't even form a rational sound argument for his/her claims. All you can do is provide premises with no real argument to back them up. That's lazy and easy breezy. Edited by KnightofChrist

KnightofChrist

if you choose to ignore the examples I gave then that's YOUR problem...

Again your problem, it's really easy to make a premise it's not easy to prove it. Which you've not even tried to do.

I gave examples....either you are too stubborn to actually admit it has validity.....or you don't have the mental capacity to understand simple concepts....I don't care either way....I'm done with you.

Isn't it interesting how you need to translate or twist the meanings of verses in the bible to suit your argument. It's plain English to me.

PhuturePriest

Jews were sinners...Paul was a sinner....I don't see why its a stretch to think parts of the Bible could be inspired but not perfect...Note I'm not saying that's my postion since its pry a mortal sin or something and I could be burned at the stake....Its just an idea that I'm throwing out there....After coming to terms with some of the stuff in the Bible...

You spend 90% or more of your posts on Phatmass slamming the Church and the Bible. I feel for you in that you are struggling with your faith, but if you truly want to overcome your doubts, perhaps you shouldn't be quite so negative about anything to do with the Church? After all, negativity can only bring forth negativity. Saying the Church/Bible is bad for x, y, and z won't make your faith strong. I'm not advocating that you should just forget every doubt you have; you should absolutely look into the answers you seek with an open heart and open mind. However, I don't think your current approach is going to help you do that in any sort of way.

PhuturePriest

Something tells me that

I gave examples....either you are too stubborn to actually admit it has validity.....or you don't have the mental capacity to understand simple concepts....I don't care either way....I'm done with you.

this person and

Isn't it interesting how you need to translate or twist the meanings of verses in the bible to suit your argument. It's plain English to me.

this person are in fact the same person.

KnightofChrist

You gave examples of premises, that I grant you. But you gave no examples of a rational argument that proves or begins to prove your premises.