An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Think Of This Carmelite Convent?

ruso

They are a little removed from the constitutions of 1990 and 1991, the cloistered nuns remain, although they receive the pilgrims, talk to them(the retreats only girls and womens).

The style is approved by the Church, I appreciate the opinions, it seems that this style appeals to many young people, is the Carmelite convent with the youngest average age of Spain.

big_27126963_0_1120-840.JPG
big_27126988_0_1120-840.JPG
big_27760110.JPG
big_27760126.JPG

Discalced Carmelites of Valladolid

graciandelamadrededios

This community used to follow the 1990 Text but they eventually adopted the 1991 Text.  I got this information is from Chiqui.

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

• 2 years later...

Just saw this. They are a new community now.

http://divinavocacion.blogspot.com/2014/12/nuevo-instituto-religioso-carmelitas.html?m=1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5uheioEsNUE&list=TLTUr2Y11RcQEyMzExMjAxNQ

Reminds me of that one Spanish community that were Poor Clares.

Sorry if this has already been posted by the way. This is pretty old news ^_^

Hey Charbel! Great to see you too! Yup been a bit overloaded these days and with super limited wifi/data especially lol. It's good though. Hey I noticed my little thumbs up guy is gone... Just the other one, aw. That one you used is probably the closest ;) 

Limited wifi sounds great. I know, the plethora of emoticons shortened after all the moving around and upgrading to the Phorum. We still have the cute nuns though! :smile2: Feel free to PM me sometime, we can talk all things Carmel :hehe2:

(Vee, that includes you)

dominicansoul

I prefer the strictest cloistered Carmel convents, the ones where they put a shawl over their faces when facing the public or when they get their pictures taken by someone on the outside...

...this way we don't see them dang carmelites, they remain well hidden :P 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

They are no longer discalced Carmelites but something like Carmelite Samaritans of the Sacred Heart. They are remaining in the disclaced Carmelite Family and are contemplatives but it seems have their own type of cloister. They changed their veils as well several months ago. The photos above, etc. are because they had permission from the Holy See to expermiment before changing into a new institute.

It just might be what Spain needs right now. It's seems similar to the Poor Clares who became the Community of Jesus. Whenever I see a cloistered monastery attracting lots of vocations like this I have my suspicions that they will turn into something else.

MarysLittleFlower
2 hours ago, Sr Mary Catharine OP said:

They are no longer discalced Carmelites but something like Carmelite Samaritans of the Sacred Heart. They are remaining in the disclaced Carmelite Family and are contemplatives but it seems have their own type of cloister. They changed their veils as well several months ago. The photos above, etc. are because they had permission from the Holy See to expermiment before changing into a new institute.

It just might be what Spain needs right now. It's seems similar to the Poor Clares who became the Community of Jesus. Whenever I see a cloistered monastery attracting lots of vocations like this I have my suspicions that they will turn into something else.

Im just curious about the bolded part :) does it often happen that way? Do most vocations happen with more active orders and less with cloistered? I know of Carmels with many young Sisters but they are still small Carmels, and very cloistered, they don't keep their numbers big 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Because cloistered life doesn't usually attract many vocations as do active communities due to the nature of the vocation. 

I think this case is different than the case of the Poor Clares. I have a family member who briefly joined the Iesu Communio (a community who was before a Poor Clares monastery), and she was close to them when they were Poor Clares. The young people who joined them when they were Poor Clares did not because they were attracted to the Poor Clares charism - they were attracted by Sor Veronica. I remember this family member - it was always about Sor Veronica, I don't remember hearing once about Ste Clare. And today, it's always about Sor Veronica. When the community voted to become a new community, I think only 4 or 5 - on more than 120 nuns ! - choose to remain clarisas. (I'm not telling this to be mean to Iesus Communio or to Hmna Veronica - the sisters of Iesus Communio are very nice, and very needed in the Spanish church). 
Here, it's a carmelite convent who funded a new community, still in the Carmelite spirituality, right ? Just not the same way to live it. Not exactly the same thing. 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

NadaTeTurba I didn't say it was the same thing. Usually the attraction and change happens because of a charismatic leader as you said.

In a way it is a sort of natural development. Or maybe a better way to say it would be a charismatic development. Institutes are founded in response to the needs of the time. 

Yes, and the Spanish Church needs a lot of missionary, apostolic, sisters. There was a lot of contemplative communities in Spain. Now there is very big monastery, with only 3 or 4 old nuns inside - it's really a big problem. And it's not a "they have no vocation because they are too modern" - next to my family, there's a big monastery, with something like 3 nuns, and they wear a wimple, etc... Maybe it's because now, with secularism, and atheism, and a catholic religion who is more about tradition than real faith, the Holy Spirit leads more young girls to active community. I don't know. The religious life in Spain is in a time of change. 

9 hours ago, dominicansoul said:

I prefer the strictest cloistered Carmel convents, the ones where they put a shawl over their faces when facing the public or when they get their pictures taken by someone on the outside...

...this way we don't see them dang carmelites, they remain well hidden :P 

a shawl? I think its called a veil and if I ever go to Carmel, and if you ever visit I shall wear several

Sorry if I missed it but I cant seem to find what their apostolate is exactly.  They offer retreats and, from what Ive found, make a bunch of videos for youtube! :P

I also went through their website looking for a pic of the updated veils but cant find anything.  Im curious how they look now since previously they looked very OCD and it threw me off at first.