An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink: Thread Of Randomness (mk.iii)

arfink

We got the ring to the jewelers today. The ring was 3 and a half sizes too big for Katie's hand, just comically huge. Everything will be cleaned and sized and looking gorgeous on her finger by Wednesday. :cloud9:

WE WANT PICTURES!!!!!!   :paco:   :please:  :paco:    OF IT   :icey2:

OF YOU BOTH   :heart: :angel:  :cupid:  :heart:  YUS!!!!!!  

We're going to go pick the ring up in a bit, but for now I just want to share these pictures. We went on a long drive yesterday to Clarissa MN to see Katie's grandma. She's got Alzheimer's and got confused pretty easily, thinking Katie was alternately her granddaughter or daughter and I was either a son or Katie's husband to her, she didn't seem to hold on to the idea that we were engaged very well. But she was a very sweet woman, and we had a nice visit. We also had a very very long car drive there and back, about 3 hours one way. We stopped to take some pictures on the way. The camera didn't do the fall colors justice, it was quite beautiful.

100_0955.JPG

100_0953.JPG

100_0962.JPG

At one point we were passing through a tiny little run-down farming town called Browerville and were surprised to see, amidst the closed shops and leaning old wooden buildings a very gorgeous Catholic church. It is called Christ the King now, and is combined with 2 other parishes, but the buildings all said St. Joseph. The cornerstone was marked 1908. Very pretty place.

100_0975.JPG

100_0971.JPG

100_0966.JPG

100_0965.JPG

Of course, there was another pretty sight there. ;)

100_0977.JPG

100_0978.JPG

I was going through photos on the camera, and it switched into shooting mode, so I just decided it was time to take some. ;) Here she's saying how her nose is so cold. :P

100_0979.JPG

Then she realizes I'm in fact taking pictures.

100_0980.JPG

She wouldn't smile, so I tickled her. ;)

I just realized I never updated on my flight here. Thanks everyone for your advise and prayers, the flight over was actually pretty good. :) The only truly uncomfortable part was during the descent into Minneapolis, there was a few times that my ears suddenly refused to pop and that hurt. :p But overall it was a pretty good flight. I took decongestants and painkillers and then sucked on lemon candy during the takeoff and landing and it seemed to help. :) And my ear is finally starting to clear up, yay! Good thing too, I'm almost finished with my antibiotic. :p Thanks everyone. :)

I may be wrong, but it looks a lot like the setting on my original wedding/engagement ring duo. (Unfortunately, the metal fatigued to the point I can't wear it safely... :( )   If it is an OLD setting (and I think you said it had come down Katie's side of the family?) it was the style at one point to build almost a cantilever bridge type setting so the diamonds could get more light.   And it looks different from the top or sides for that reason...  Imagine diamonds set into this....

firthofforth2_bridge_1.jpg

IMG_4683.JPG

and what the same bridge would look like from the top looking down:

114.GIF

IMG_4682.JPG

Do I have the physics right, ARFink?

Spem in alium

At one point we were passing through a tiny little run-down farming town called Browerville and were surprised to see, amidst the closed shops and leaning old wooden buildings a very gorgeous Catholic church. It is called Christ the King now, and is combined with 2 other parishes, but the buildings all said St. Joseph. The cornerstone was marked 1908. Very pretty place.

I love Browerville :) Visited there a couple of times when I was in MN!

Great pics, btw :)