An Old School Catholic Message Board

11 Saints For Single Catholics

ToJesusMyHeart

ToJesusMyHeart

http://www.catholicvote.org/11-saints-for-the-single-catholic-and-married-catholics-too/

1. St. Joseph: Husband of Mary, foster father of Jesus, and go-to guy for anything involving hammers, saws, wrenches, screwdrivers, pipes, and those little Ikea-widgets. Plus ledge-talking. It’s his specialty.

2. My Guardian Angel: Yours may come in handy with other daily tasks, but personally, mine is the only reason I make it safely from Point A to Point B when I’m behind the wheel. Let me repeat: The Only Reason.

3. St. Anthony of Padua: Lost keys? Lost checkbook? Lost insurance forms? Who needs a spouse to hunt for those things when you’ve got St. Anthony?

4. St. Gianna: This mother, doctor, and fashionista (She asked for fashion magazines when she was on her deathbed…just so she’d be up-to-date with the latest styles if she recovered.) is a major multi-purpose saint for single, working girls like me. When I’m down about having no children, we chat. When I’m feeling overwhelmed with work, we chat. And when I’m desperately searching for just the right shoes or dress, we really chat.

5. St. Catherine of Sienna: People not being nice to you in the office, on Facebook, or at Thanksgiving dinner because you think with the Church and not the culture? No problem. You may have no spouse to console you, but St. Catherine will. She understands. “Been there, done that,” is what this bold woman, who endured every possible kind of slander and scorn, says to persecution. Contemplate what she endured, and you’ll be feeling better in no time.

6. St. Augustine: Like St. Gianna, this Father and Doctor of the Church is good for all sorts of troubles. For the unmarried, however, this once lusty youth can be a powerful help in the pursuit of chastity. Anyone who could pray, “Oh, Lord, make me chaste, but not yet,” more than understands how tempting sins of the flesh can be. At the same time, anyone who could write, “Our hearts are restless until they rest in Thee,” knows how possible mastering those challenges actually is.

7. St. Monica: Speaking of St. Augustine, whenever you feel like giving up on someone, whenever all your prayers and pleading seem for naught, turn to his mother, who prayed both her son and her abusive husband into the Church. Then pray some more.

8. St. Matthew: Unless you’ve got an MBA, financial planning can be one of the most daunting tasks for those still seeking a spouse. Mostly because we have no idea what we’re planning for? A spouse? A family? A lonely old age in the nursing home? But while we may not know the answers to those questions, God does, and he seems to have granted his disciple Matthew, the once shady tax-collector, special intercessory powers to help us deal with our money questions. The patron saint of accountants, he’s also mighty handy when making decisions about retirement, health care, and budgeting in general.

9. St. Jude: He’s known as the patron saint of hopeless causes. Which means when your heart is full of dating woes, you’ll find fewer more faithful friends than he. Most importantly, because he deals with so many seemingly hopeless causes, he’ll be quick to remind you that you and your vocational prospects don’t fit into that category. There’s always hope.

10.St. Isidore: Computer acting up? Iphone on the fritz? No computer-savvy spouse to call? No worries. There’s always St. Isidore. Don’t ask me why he’s the patron saint of technology, but he is. And trust me, he’s good at his job.*

11. Mother Mary: Jesus’ mom is the perfect recipient for all major prayer requests. If you’re concerned about someone who’s been in a crippling car wreck or received a critical diagnosis from the doctor, talk to her. But don’t forget that she’s also surprisingly helpful when a recipe isn’t coming together like it ought, when sewing machines jam up, and when party prep is getting just a wee bit too stressful. Mary may be Queen of Heaven and Earth, but that doesn’t mean she’s forgotten the challenges of keeping house in the dusty Middle East.

So, there you have it: Eleven saints for the single Catholic. The list isn’t a comprehensive one, so if you’ve got any personal favorites, I’d love the suggestions. And obviously, the list might have some value for married, ordained, and consecrated Catholics too. The saints, after all, are equal opportunity intercessors. Spouse or no, they’ll help you out. All you have to do is ask.

That's funny!  I know and love most of these saints you mentioned.  I've grown particularly fond of Our Lady and St. Gianna.  I also really admire St. Catherine of Siena along with her imitator - St. Rose of Lima.  ;)