An Old School Catholic Message Board

Eucharist Question

I was in a state of really bad mortal sin for a long time...I just let it go and drag on and on...I won't say how long cause some of you would gasp...I just went to confession...I'm getting ready to go to Mass....My question should I go up to receive Christ body and blood...I'm thinking 100 percent no...I feel zero percent worthy...Although I feel God telling me I should...And I'm telling Him I don't think I should...Although I'm a very sinfull guy I do fear God...And that's part of the reason not wanting to receive the Eucharist today...So I wanted the phams opinion if I should receive...Thanks...

Edited by Guest

You don't have to. If you want to wait, wait. There's no requirement to receive, and in the olden days people received a lot less frequently than in modern times. But you can receive if you want.

ChristinaTherese

Well, you went to confession, so I see no reason why not to (unless you've sinned mortally again since going to confession and/or not observed the proper hour of fasting prior to receiving the Eucharist). If it were me, I think I would.... After all, Jesus came to call "not the righteous but sinners," and you seem to have gotten back into a state of grace. (We do pray "Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only speak the word and my soul shall be healed" before receiving the Eucharist for a reason.) But in the end, it's your choice and you have not obligation to receive if you can.

But if you think God is telling you that you should, I'd consider if it was maybe the devil telling you that you shouldn't. I know that I was literally shaking during my first confession (five months ago), and figured that it was because God was breaking a bond to sin and he didn't want that to happen. It was hard, but worth it. So I would seriously consider that before I decided not to receive. (Except that I don't think that I would decide not to, for the same reason Archaeology Cat just stated.)

ToJesusMyHeart

If you made a good, honest confession, receiving the Eucharist is the best option. Eating His Body and drinking His Blood will fill your soul with immeasurable graces that every human needs. If I were in your shoes, I would get to Mass early and pray like hell beforehand that God would make me worthy of the Eucharist.

None of us are worthy. None of us deserve to receive Him into our very bodies, into our souls. But if you are in the state of grace, receiving Him will bestow so many graces upon you. Pray the "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you" prayer fervently and see how that affects you. 

God is pleased with you for going to confession! He loves you very much, and He desires to share Himself with you in the Eucharist. 

I would compare it to being forgiven by your wife for adultery. It doesn't mean you have to begin having a physical relationship right away. Maybe you need time to heal and build up your own commitment before you return to that kind of intimacy.

Maybe pick a particular feast day this year or next year when you will build toward and prepare to receive. Maybe Easter.

Edited by Era Might

you should absolutely go to communion now that you've received confession.  you need to accept that you've been 100% forgiven.  you'll never be worthy of the Eucharist, or of any grace, that's why it's grace, it's a gift.

the analogy to marriage is pretty off, I think.  you might hold off on relations after being forgiven for adultery, but you'd only be doing so because of the imperfection of human relationships and of human forgiveness.  God's forgiveness is perfect and absolute, your absolution has made you clean, you need that grace from the Eucharist now more than ever.  I implore you, do not forego it out of some arbitrary feeling of unworthiness!  "Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed"

you should absolutely go to communion now that you've received communion.  you need to accept that you've been 100% forgiven.  you'll never be worthy of the Eucharist, or of any grace, that's why it's grace, it's a gift.

the analogy to marriage is pretty off, I think.  you might hold off on relations after being forgiven for adultery, but you'd only be doing so because of the imperfection of human relationships and of human forgiveness.  God's forgiveness is perfect and absolute, your absolution has made you clean, you need that grace from the Eucharist now more than ever.  I implore you, do not forego it out of some arbitrary feeling of unworthiness!  "Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed"

Even though doing this is already making the bile rise to the back of my throat, I have to say

Aloysius is completely right and you should listen to him

But what the hell do I know anyway?

you should absolutely go to communion now that you've received confession.  you need to accept that you've been 100% forgiven.  you'll never be worthy of the Eucharist, or of any grace, that's why it's grace, it's a gift.

It's not a question of forgiveness, but healing, as well as commitment. The Apostles journeyed three years with Christ before they received the Eucharist. The practice of immediate or frequent communion has its uses, but it is not the only way to approach the Eucharist. In my opinion now is not the time for emotional communion. You have made the first step. Now begin the next step toward your next goal, which is receiving the Eucharist.

There is not a right or wrong course here. But don't feel pressured to receive communion for some emotional reason. The Christian life is a long discipleship. Christ is not going anywhere. Spend some time in prayer before the tabernacle, and discern your next steps.

Edited by Era Might

I disagree, there is no reason to hold yourself back from receiving that grace which you so desperately need.  Of course it's about healing, but you don't suggest someone heal first before they can take their medicine... the Eucharist is not something to be received when you've already healed of your sins, it's a grace filled means for healing you of your sins.  frequent reception of communion when you are in a state of grace (which, if you have gone to confession, you are in; that doesn't mean all the things that sin has done to damage you have been fully healed, though you have indeed been fully forgiven, but it does mean the avenues for grace to enter your soul have been cleared)

of course you shouldn't go up to communion out of pride or pressure, but you also shouldn't hold back because you feel 'unworthy'.  the old days referenced above when people received communion more infrequently was called out by Pope St. Pius X as a holdover from Jansenist errors, btw.

I disagree, there is no reason to hold yourself back from receiving that grace which you so desperately need.  Of course it's about healing, but you don't suggest someone heal first before they can take their medicine... the Eucharist is not something to be received when you've already healed of your sins, it's a grace filled means for healing you of your sins.  frequent reception of communion when you are in a state of grace (which, if you have gone to confession, you are in; that doesn't mean all the things that sin has done to damage you have been fully healed, though you have indeed been fully forgiven, but it does mean the avenues for grace to enter your soul have been cleared)

of course you shouldn't go up to communion out of pride or pressure, but you also shouldn't hold back because you feel 'unworthy'.  the old days referenced above when people received communion more infrequently was called out by Pope St. Pius X as a holdover from Jansenist errors, btw.

A more ascetical approach has its roots long before Jansenism. In the early church people waited until their deathbed to be baptized!

I'm not saying he should refrain merely for the sake of refraining. But from what I know of dboy, this is a big step, and it is just that, a step. Receiving communion, and then backsliding into his old life, isn't going to be a good thing:

"When the unclean spirit has gone out of a man, he passes through waterless places seeking rest, but he finds none. Then he says, `I will return to my house from which I came.' And when he comes he finds it empty, swept, and put in order. Then he goes and brings with him seven other spirits more evil than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man becomes worse than the first. So shall it be also with this evil generation."

--Matthew 12:43-45

Although dboy is not a catechumen, there is a reason why they have to be prepared to enter into the Christian life. It's not merely a question of knowing what they are entering into, but preparing to do so and making a real demonstration of commitment and preparation. If dboy had been involved in the church and just happened to go to confession, then I would see things differently. But he is attempting to enter into an entirely new life.

Sorry for speaking about you in the third person dboy. I don't want to turn this into a debate. Take thing slow is my advice, and don't try to have an emotional conversion. Emotions are fleeting. What is lasting, and what is hard, is entering into an entirely new life, which takes time. Don't feel like you have to do everything at once.

yeah I'm not looking to turn this into a debate here, I can respect your position but I view the history of the Church as having relatively quickly moved away from any ascetism applied to the sacraments--because you should fast from earthly things in order to receive grace, not fast from heavenly grace-filled things when you are properly disposed (properly disposed meaning you are open to receiving grace).  the early church practices of holding off even on baptism until death was wrong, and it was eventually reformed against.

if you do want to wait, that's for you to decide in your own spiritual life, but don't do it because you're not yet worthy... if you need to take some time to ensure that you have a true intention to refrain from sin in the future, that's ok, but I very much suggest that it doesn't make sense to avoid the grace of the sacraments while on your journey--you need all the graces you can receive.