An Old School Catholic Message Board

A.a. Thread

So I'm giving in and am going to try it....I can't imagine the idea of never drinking again in my life....And to be honest when I think about it it seems to be a long shot....But after what happened last week and what has happened time and time before I feel as if God is pushing me to do this....Long story short I destroyed a good friendship that meant a lot to me last week...And although I have had a lot of low points drinking this is pry the lowest...The thing with me is I can go months without drinking or drinking moderately where there is no problem....But then it always comes a time where I will drink 15 hours straight and when these times happen bad things happen....And I feel that mabey a life of no alcohol is best for me...I'm 32 now....So this thread is just sort of to detail my A.A. experience and also a thread to hold me accountable to see if I really give it an honest shot...My first meeting is Monday at 7 pm and its at the Parish I sometimes attend....My plan is to go to this Monday meeting every week and update every week with a post...Please keep me in your prayers...

Edited by Guest

Delivery, my dad was a proud 'friend of Bill W' (AA member) for almost 40 years.  It transformed his life.  

My dad's name was Bill and I bet he will pray for you (he's with God now....) and you can pray for him, too.   

I have TREMENDOUS respect for AA and for the fellowship they provide.  

Get a sponsor, do what they tell you to do even if it seems silly.  It really helps.

And let us know if we can help. 

Feel free to PM me if you wanna connect.   :heart: :pray:  you got 'em... and we're proud of you....

DB - Good plan, holding yourself accountable by posting weekly.

I'm not a friend of Bill's, but lots of my family members are. The unofficial 21st question is, Are you in Luigi's family? Here's what I can tell you -

1. Don't just 'give it a try' - they'll tell you at the meeting that the program works if you work the program. So commit to the program.

2. Don't think about 'the idea of never drinking again in my life' - they'll tell you at the meeting that you do it one day at a time.

3. It'll probably be the best decision you ever make in your life, and it'll help make all of your subsequent decisions better.

4. I gonna learn a prayer and say it for you.

"Don't even feel like drinking or even getting high / 'cuz all that's gonna do really is just accelerate / all the anxieties I wish I could alleviate / But wait, I been through a whole lotta other stuff before / So I oughta be able to withstand some more / I'm sweating though, my eyes are turning red and yo / I'm ready to lose my mind but instead I use my mind / I put down the knife, and take the bullets out my nine / ...They can't take the respect that I've earned in my lifetime / And you know they'll never stop the furious force of my rhymes / So like they say, every dog has its day / And like they say, God works in a mysterious way / So I pray, remembering the days of my youth / As I prepare to meet my moment of truth" --Gang Starr

Edited by Era Might

I spent three years working with a drug and alcohol population and it was a powerful influence on me to not do either. That's not to say I never have a drink but I keep it to a minimum. I've seen the effects of addiction on these people, physically, mentally, and spiritually. It's really very sad. But people have gotten sober and stayed clean and those are wonderful stories to hear so I'll keep you in my prayers!

Here's a thought though. If you're serious about change, maybe your avatar should stop drinking as well.

I'm very serious...I just put that pic up because I think beer is a great gift from God and I loved drinking it...I will never be one of those people who hate alcohol....As many bad experiences I had with it I also had great ones....But I know I need to make a change...And this thread will show if I gave it all I had or not....And it will be very honest....If I just give up and give in I will let you guys know that....It will be the complete truth and no fabrications to make me look good.... Edited by Guest

I think that it's a great grace that you realize where you're at. That's the 1st step. And the fact that you actually want people to help you is the 2nd step. You already made 2 steps--that's great brother! And you have the prayers of everyone here to keep taking that next step and to persevere to the end. We got your back.

About your avatar: Please don't be offended by what I want to say to you. DB, you don't need a picture of yourself drinking alcohol to somehow prove that you don't hate alcohol. If you ever have to give up alcohol, your picture would tempt you to return to drinking. It would torture you. Getting rid of the picture doesn't mean you hate alcohol just as giving up alcohol doesn't mean you hate it. Personally, I think you should ditch the avatar if you are serious about AA. Pray on it.

God bless you man. Peace.

DB, you are my hero.   You are being so courageous TODAY. 

Tomorrow is another day, some days may be tough, but TODAY, you're doing all the right stuff.....  :winner:

And I am lighting a candle for you at Mass tonight..... and praying hard for you.  :pray: