An Old School Catholic Message Board

A.a. Thread

I'm no hero....I'm just a guy who likes to drink for 15 to 30 hours straight and never let the fun stop....Its just not a good plan anymore....I have no doubt I could keep it up without hurting myself physically or anyone else....But its not worth it....Thanks for lighting the candle for me tonight and the prayers...They're appreciated....

Edited by Guest

Good for you dude.

I've having had a drop in 3 years now, but I ain't counting (my wife is counting so if you're curious, just ask her).

My friends laughed (including my wife) when I told I was stopping, cold turkey and all.  A few months later, at christmas time, they were'nt laughing anymore, and knew just how serious I was.

:bounce:

So don't give, be strong, be faithful and know you're not alone in your struggles.

:saint2:

I'm no hero....I'm just a guy who likes to drink for 15 to 30 hours straight and never let the fun stop....Its just not a good plan anymore....I have no doubt I could keep it up without hurting myself physically or anyone else....But its not worth it....Thanks for lighting the candle for me tonight and the prayers...They're appreciated....

One of the things about drinking is that it is insideous; you don't realize the harm you're doing to yourself until you actually stop and look back.  I know a thing or two about that, and been to the 15-30hours often enough (too often), and remember thinking the same as you.

Give yourself a while, and you'll realize the difference for yourself; I could go on with a few pages, but nothing points out in a better than finding out for yourself through the experience of being sober for a long standing period of time.

I don't know if that was ever a plan I'd consider "good"

So just got done with my first meeting....It was cool....We said the Serenity prayer at the start...Then people just talked and told us stuff about themselves...Really nice people....At the end we all held hands and said the Our Father...The phatmass in me wanted to say why are we holding hands ? I don't do thath durning the Our Father but I didn't say anything and just went along with it...I will be back next Monday...

At the end we all held hands and said the Our Father...The phatmass in me wanted to say why are we holding hands ? I don't do thath durning the Our Father but I didn't say anything and just went along with it...I will be back next Monday...

Well, for one thing, AA is not the Catholic Church. But it makes me wonder, did Catholics start holding hands during the Our Father in church because lots of Catholic alcoholics learned the hand-holding at AA meetings and they just brought it into church with them?

Glad that it went well. Glad that you're going back next Monday.

Thanks guys just went to my second meeting...This one we read out of the book then people talked....It will take me awhile before I ever talk...I would rather just sit back and listen...This meeting was at 3 pm so not a lot of people were there....I'm going to try to do 90 meetings in 90 days...There's a lot of meetings at different places around here....I don't have that strong of urge to drink everyday but I think it will be good to go everyday...Then I can cut it down to once or twice a week after the 90 days...

DB, 90 in 90 is the ideal way to start... and trust your gut on when / if you choose to speak.

Just focus on today... let tomorrow take care of itself. 

:winner:

"Autobiography in 5 Chapters" by Portia Nelson

Chapter I 

I walk down the street. 
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk 
I fall in. 
I am lost ... I am helpless. 
It isn't my fault. 
It takes forever to find a way out. 

Chapter II 

I walk down the same street. 
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. 
I pretend I don't see it. 
I fall in again. 
I can't believe I am in the same place. 
But, it isn't my fault. 
It still takes a long time to get out. 

Chapter III 

see it is there. 
I still fall in ... it's a habit ... but, 
my eyes are open. 
I know where I am. 
It is my fault. 
I get out immediately. 

Chapter IV 

I walk around it. 

Chapter V 

I walk down another street.

Hello everyone. I'm a lurker, have been for a while, but I just couldn't pass this up. DB, I will mos def keep you in my prayers, I know where you're at brotha. I was doing my usual lurking after work and this was the first thing I stumbled across, And... I really needed to see this, so thank you. You can do it, I can do it :console: . I kind of have to since i started doing D-2-D evangelization with my Parish, practice what you preach eh. God bless. Back to lurking. lol  :detective: