An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bible Versions, Etc.

AugustineA

I have heard there is controversy over the New American Bible. Some people deride the translation as ineloquent. Others point out that the notes come from a historio-critical method. This may be the case, but I have not had the chance to ask many Catholics about the translation.

Normally I would have my RSV-CE and Christian Prayer. I moved provinces to go to graduate school, and I likely will not have the spare money to replace either of those for a week to a month(ish). In the mean time I'm starving for Christian literature and prayer books. Even my rosary is in Vancouver.

What I do have is an ESV protestant translation of the Bible and an NAB St. Joseph's edition. Is the translation of the NAB bad enough to warrant using the ESV?

For both of those for the short term, you can use the on-line versions!  Then when you can afford the others, get the one(s) you want!

You can find the Liturgy of the Hours here:

www.divineoffice.org

and you can use the American Bishops' links to the New American Bible here:

Books of the Bible:

http://www.usccb.org/bible/books-of-the-bible/

Mass Readings:

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/091713.cfm

Info on Approved Translations....

http://www.usccb.org/bible/approved-translations/

I know some people will only use certain translations, and I actually like the New Jerusalem, but unless something is really deliberately mucked up (such as the New Revised Standard Version --- really hate that one) I would think you are ok using the NAB... not my favorite, but it is what you will hear in the readings at Church...  but others may differ!!!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

I have heard there is controversy over the New American Bible. Some people deride the translation as ineloquent. Others point out that the notes come from a historio-critical method. This may be the case, but I have not had the chance to ask many Catholics about the translation.

Normally I would have my RSV-CE and Christian Prayer. I moved provinces to go to graduate school, and I likely will not have the spare money to replace either of those for a week to a month(ish). In the mean time I'm starving for Christian literature and prayer books. Even my rosary is in Vancouver.

What I do have is an ESV protestant translation of the Bible and an NAB St. Joseph's edition. Is the translation of the NAB bad enough to warrant using the ESV?

I can't stand the NAB. If you read the notes you will find
words that take away fro God and His miracles. The translation doesn't read correctly, changes the words of Scripture to mean something else. I have an app for the Truth and Life Bible. It is free and it's the RSV. I love it. It is the same Bible they use on EWTN in their Mass.
Very good Bible and keeps the meaning of the Word as
it should be. :-) :-) :-)

I can't stand the NAB. If you read the notes you will find
words that take away fro God and His miracles. The translation doesn't read correctly, changes the words of Scripture to mean something else. I have an app for the Truth and Life Bible. It is free and it's the RSV Caytholic version. I love it. It is the same Bible they use on EWTN in their Mass.
Very good Bible and keeps the meaning of the Word as
it should be. :-) :-) :-)

Thanks for the tips guys. Anneline I'm using that site now for the LOH. =)

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Debra that the NAB's notes just did it in for me. I know it's possible to just not look at them, but when I read some of the notes in the Gospel of Matthew I almost threw it away in disgust.. It's now sitting at the very bottom of my book pile. :angry:

Nihil, I'm in Alberta. Are you a canuck as well?

Nihil, I'm in Alberta. Are you a canuck as well?

Not just a fellow canuck, but a fellow Albertan. :proud: Calgary, by any chance?

Not just a fellow canuck, but a fellow Albertan. :proud: Calgary, by any chance?

Oh no, teh Catholics have found me! Yep, I just moved to Calgary. ^_^

You must go to the FSSP or SSPX parishes here. I just saw them a few days ago!

Oh no, teh Catholics have found me! Yep, I just moved to Calgary. ^_^

You must go to the FSSP or SSPX parishes here. I just saw them a few days ago!

Yes I do! :smile3: I have lived here my whole life.

I'm kind of considering going to a traditional Mass, any recommendations?

Well, in Calgary it is either Fraternity or Society. Your call there; I would not tell you you are wrong. But I think that the Fraternity Mass is preferable because of the canonical situation of the Society.

Besides that, I can say confidently that Frs. Sumich and McDonnell are both absolutely excellent priests. You will not find better priests, period. Both for Mass and confession. I have not met the Society priests, and anyway I will not get into the whole debate there. So I do recommend Masses offered by the Fraternity very strongly. :) They share St. Anthony's parish with the diocese, so traditional Mass twice on Sundays and every weekday. Confession before every Mass.

I know there is also an Ordinariate Parish (St. John the Evangelist), a Ukrainian Catholic parish (St. Stephen Protomartyr), and apparently a Maronite parish (Our Lady of Peace) with which I am not particularly familiar. But overall I will never hesitate to recommend the traditional Mass at St. Anthony's.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

The Marist brothers in my state use the NAB for there students. Well that's the version of the holy bible they give to the students.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

Thanks for the tips guys. Anneline I'm using that site now for the LOH. =)

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Debra that the NAB's notes just did it in for me. I know it's possible to just not look at them, but when I read some of the notes in the Gospel of Matthew I almost threw it away in disgust.. It's now sitting at the very bottom of my book pile. :angry:

Can you provide some examples of these terrible notes? I have never read the NAB and I am curious what you considered to be odious commentary.