An Old School Catholic Message Board

Interview With Pope Francis In America Magazine

Basilisa Marie

Al, I want to thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful response. We many not agree with each other about the situation under review, but that does seem to be common in the present age. I pray that God continues to bless you.

Edited by Apotheoun

Fidei Defensor

Here's what I'm confused about — how can you both believe in a God who is completely unavailable to the human senses and not also believe that this God would chose to use the most visible religious leader in the world to further his will?  How is one more unreasonable than the other?

Here's what I'm confused about — how can you both believe in a God who is completely unavailable to the human senses and not also believe that this God would chose to use the most visible religious leader in the world to further his will?  How is one more unreasonable than the other?

God can use anyone to further His will, even the non-religious or pagans (e.g., the Babylonians when they conquered Israel and deported all the Jews from the Holy Land, and later Cyrus when he allowed the Jews to return to Israel). I would even say that God used Patriarch Nestorios, the arch-heretic, to advance His will, because - although God does not cause evil - He can draw good out of evil. Did Pope Honorius' support of the monthelite heresy help to lead to the condemnation of that heresy? Yes, and it also caused him to be posthumously anathematized at the Sixth Ecumenical Council.

Ultimately we all - and each in his own way - bring about the fulfillment of God's will. It is not like I can prevent the parousia of Christ from happening. In fact, my prayers and actions - and those of all other men - are moving us inexorably to Christ's return and the eschatological fulfillment of God's will.

“I remember, when I used go to Germany in the 1980s and ’90s, that I was asked to give interviews and I always knew the questions in advance. They concerned the ordination of women, contraception, abortion and other such constantly recurring problems. If we let ourselves be drawn into these discussions, the Church is then identified with certain commandments or prohibitions; we give the impression that we are moralists with a few somewhat antiquated convictions, and not even a hint of the true greatness of the faith appears. I therefore consider it essential always to highlight the greatness of our faith – a commitment from which we must not allow such situations to divert us. ”
– Address of his Holiness Benedict XVI
– Thursday, 9 November 2006

pretty much saying the same thing as Pope Francis said, btw.

by that same token all the vows of poverty of monks in well off monasteries, well basically all modern monasteries even in the desert these days, are pointless... all their needs are being met, after all, they don't really have to worry about that from day to day.

Pope Francis is going as close to poverty as he can without degrading the office of the Papacy... please God don't let him sell off the Vatican and live on the streets like he probably wishes he could in the back of his mind.  his talk, I think, is sincere... and sure taking a used car or living in the same room as he did during the conclave are not really all that drastic, but they're gestures of sympathy for the poor, and a way to live like a vow of poverty would inspire one to live while fulfilling his call to the papacy which demands that he be entrusted with guarding the great treasures of the Vatican for the sake of the whole church.

This is what Pope Kirill did in The Shoes of The Fisherman. I don't think that Pope Francis would want to sell off the Vatican. Aren't Jesuits responsible for helping to build St. Peter's Square?

I only said that as kind of, he personally might like to do something like that for his personal vow of poverty; obviously as Pope he knows not to do it and wouldn't want to for many reasons, but just on the level of his vow of poverty I could see that thought crossing his mind.  anyone who had a vow of poverty who ascended to the Throne of Peter would have such a thought, I think, but only the foolish would actually try to do it and I'm sure Francis would never dream of doing it haha.

"Be aware that the English version of the interview is much incomplete & with many cuts. I asked the America's editor to restore the text in its integrity. He did that but it's still incomplete. I showed him the cuts and he now guaranteed me he will restore the text soon  They didn't cut the Pope's words, of course, but still lots of informations have been lost. They will provide very soon..." Antonio Spadaro SJ ‏Director @ La Civiltà Cattolica

Basilisa Marie

Okay, but if they didn't cut the pope's words, it really doesn't make that much of a difference.  Adding background, supplemental information would still have been ignored by almost everyone in the media, and many Catholics are already aware of it. 

They've made a note on the website:

http://www.americamagazine.org/pope-interview

Edited by Basilisa Marie

After all, without charity as St. Paul declared, without love, we are but a “noisy gong and a clanging cymbal.”

;)