Sign in to follow this  
Catherine Therese

...on Returning To The World

cmaD2006
Prayers here too ... I entered and left twice. :) Transitions are hard but what keeps me going is that the Lord is looking out for what is best for my life and all will be fine in the long run (think Rom 8:28).

Pia Jesu

Hold fast to your hope in God and 'the world to come,' Catherine Therese!  To be sure, this is a difficult transition

time, but know that we support and pray for you.  As Anneline posted, the connections and experiences you had

are "vital."  They will stay with you forever and surely help you continue on the path to holiness.

Having left, too, after canonical novitiate...it was helpful to keep in touch with other "formers" (in fact, we meet once a

year for a Renunion!

God's peace be with you!

TheresaThoma

Welcome back, and you definitely have my prayers.

Your witness is so valuable to everyone here. It reminds all us discerners that even when we enter it is still a process and it isn't the end of the world if we discern we are called somewhere else. It may be hard but it isn't the end of the world. THANK YOU!

nunsense

Much love & prayers, yes, let us pray for one another that we abide in His Will! :) I really enjoyed what I read on your blog too, btw...very thought-provoking insights between the ordinary & the Divine...

I just read your blog too CT - and it is wonderful. I loved your post on JCS and also the one about the West Wing. You have a very insightful way of writing. I used to write a lot too and it helped me so much but that has dried up recently and I can barely get out a post on phatmass these days. I think that having your studies and your blog will be a big help to you will you transition. It takes time but you are obviously doing very well and are an inspiration to us all. :)

Edited by nunsense

Gabriela

I had no idea there were so many people on here who had been in religious life and left. Just out of curiosity: When you meet non-Catholics, and go through the usual personal history chat stuff that people do when they're getting to know each other, do you mention that you've been in religious life? Or are you worried non-Catholics will think weird things about you if you do that?

nunsense

I had no idea there were so many people on here who had been in religious life and left. Just out of curiosity: When you meet non-Catholics, and go through the usual personal history chat stuff that people do when they're getting to know each other, do you mention that you've been in religious life? Or are you worried non-Catholics will think weird things about you if you do that?

It's not easy to explain on a resume when you start looking for jobs again. :)

MarieLynn

Many years ago I too returned to secular life.

It was hard trying to explain to prospective employers just where you had been for 5 years, and as most were non catholic, I remember that some found it quite amusing that they were interviewing an "ex nun"

My faith also was sorely tested after returning, and with little or no support available,and everyone in the Church seemingly condemning 'returnees' for the loss of their vocation, I actually lost my faith for a number of years, as I felt that the Church had abandoned me. It was very much a 'blame game' back in the 1960's Years later I came across a priest who told me that Jesus still loved me, and even tho' my vocation had turned out to have been a temporary one, I had answered His call and had given it my best shot.

Returning to the Faith, I tried to help others who returned from RL, to a world that some found very strange and confusing. Just the act of applying for employment was a daunting task for some, and registering for housing was a real minefield for others. Just having someone there for support would have been so great when I returned home, but instead I returned to recriminations and finger pointing! Just be there for one another when someone returns home, and you will find that God's Grace is abundant.

Lilllabettt

I have gotten interviews just because people have never met a nun and want to see what a former one looks like. I don't particularly enjoy being made a zoo animal but it has its benefits. It gives me an opening. Actually I owe my current, rather cushy part-time gig to this phenomenon.

In social situations I leave it out. Enough years have intervened that I can omit it without seeming secretive.

Edited by Lilllabettt

Deus te Amat

In my interview process I've found it hard to find the line between privacy and honesty. I personally just don't want to deal with the reactions or subsequent questions, but my alternate explanation for the gap year between college and now is not particularly endearing for my desired field. Luckily, I was taking classes at a local college while in the convent, so I am able to say that I was continuing my education and it is usually left at that. Regardless, I find the subterfuge annoying and wish that I was able to be completely honest. But that, I think, would take more strength than I currently possess.

In the professional environment, no one has yet delved too deeply into my past, and I don't think I would share even if asked. It is just none of their business. If it were a Catholic environment, sure, but really, that part of my life has nothing to do with my work, so why waste the time mixing the two? Oil and water. 

BarbaraTherese

I don't openly talk about it nor hide it, same with Bipolar.  Whatever I might mention depends on the overall context of the conversation.  I wasn't in religious life long enough to have difficulty in not mentioning it - Bipolar and many trips into hospital in the past is harder not to mention and more personally trying too.  Generally, others certainly can accept religious life far better than mental illness.  It goes against my grain to feel I should consciously hide either - both are important parts of my history.

maximillion

When I first came out I went back into nursing at the same hospital where I had trained - there were few who remembered me and I admit I said I had been working in France and left it at that.

Some folk are very curious, others look at me for a beat then seem to absorb it as 'in the past' and move on. I only tell close friends.

Rosa immaculata

Prayers for you Catherine Therese ! I am not a "returnee" but I imagine it is very painful. I admire the courage of persons who leave the convent... Prayers :pray:

nikita92
I never knew so many temporary sisters never make it to solemn vows! That is how naive I was in the past, because I didn't give it much thought. Now I know that while it takes a lot of time, effort and energy, faith and trust to enter into a religious community, it also takes a lot of courage, strength, amongst those other things to return back to the world with a whole new set of circumstances to have to deal with! One of the most concerning aspects for me is the safety net issue!! Thank you for coming here and reaching out! Leonie's longing is a great community especially for sisters returning. They are on Facebook too. I would advise to check it out! Welcome back