An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do People Know About Ive?

MissScripture

I was recently told that an important key to a positive outcome in one's discernment process was to include your family, participate as a family in discussions...

I think this is probably good advice for most, but I think it does depend on one's age and relationships to one's family members. Each case is different. Perhaps how to involve one's family is itself something that needs discernment!

TrinityFanGuyVT

Tread with extreme caution. I know I don't post here much so I don't have any kind of reputation with y'all, but the IVE are, in my opinion, bad, bad news. This is a group which has no real admission process, (visit them once, they will hand you an application and tell you you're accepted), and has NO accredited education for its seminarians accept a few who might get a licentiate from Catholic University. Their seminary is not accredited, has no real professors, and the order itself meets some very cult like descriptions. 

I find this quite worrisome. Partly because - as we know - some VS members are with the IVE. Secondly, because as a mature discerner they were quite high on my list, especially after Tyburn came under question - at least initially. Like others here I have seen some reports and also some websites that question the IVE. I really don't know what to think now. This is the second community I have had interest in which has come into question. I'm beginning to wonder if I am a dreadful judge.

I really don't know what to think now. This is the second community I have had interest in which has come into question. I'm beginning to wonder if I am a dreadful judge.

I don't have time to deal with this subject with the length it deserves, nor would this be the appropriate place.  I'll just say that it's fair for you to question your discernment process and judgement.  That's a natural, mature reaction.  However, the problem doesn't have to be on your side.

Not addressing the IVE specifically, but 'problematic congregations' generally: it's fair to say that Catholic groups with problems will tend to recruit more heavily (and/or just be much more available), they will be the most obsequious to prospective members, and they will have fewer barriers to entry for those they are recruiting.   

The Legion of Christ and Regnum Christi are the most obvious, easiest example of this and proof that even with such problems the groups can still navigate the bureaucracy and acheive pontifical status.

This is why someone who is discerning might disproportionately run into and be attracted to groups with problems (and like the legion, these problems can almost always be traced back to the founder.)

So don't beat yourself up, but make sure you are being discerning in your discernment ;) 

This earlier discussion on phatmass might be helfpul:

www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/104771-15-signs-of-trouble/

I've heard the name before,but know nothing about them. Only iNCARNATE wORD COMMUNITIES

(sorry,stuck key) I know of personally are the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word of San Antonio who run the University of the Incarnate Word down in Alamo Heights next to the H.E.B.Central Market

and the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament, both are old communities and do teaching etc.Sometimes, the problems a community encounters could be due to the founder.But then again, if the founder dies, other problems may arise from those who follow after the founder.

I've heard the name before,but know nothing about them. Only iNCARNATE wORD COMMUNITIES

(sorry,stuck key) I know of personally are the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word of San Antonio who run the University of the Incarnate Word down in Alamo Heights next to the H.E.B.Central Market

and the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament, both are old communities and do teaching etc.Sometimes, the problems a community encounters could be due to the founder.But then again, if the founder dies, other problems may arise from those who follow after the founder.

Quite correct and both groups you mention are distinct and have no association with the IVE.

domenica_therese

Wait, I'm confused. Clarification: is SSVM by default included when someone says IVE? Because I guess I'm just surprised to hear this type of thing about the SSVM since they've gotten such good publicity from Imagine Sisters lately (in Light of Love no less), and I know people I respect who are very seriously discerning with them.

SSVM is part of the Incarnate Word family ... i.e. IVE and SSVM are very related in their charism and formation. 

Look -- the Imagine Sisters can give positive publicity and that makes sense.  Some things about a community won't necessarily be known by outsiders, and only a person who has lived in that particular community would know. 

In any case -- with any community, careful discernment is definitely called for.  And from my own experience (with a different community) listen to your heart/conscience/instincts.  If something isn't making sense, just because it is a religious community, don't ignore it.  It can be God's way of saying "stop."

There *are* bad communities out there.  And no, there is no easy way to "weed them out."

Note that I am not passing judgment on SSVM/IVE -- since I did not enter with them, nor was I in formation with them, I don't feel comfortable saying yea or nay.  I do feel however 100% comfortable saying what I have said.

To end -- remember the Intercessors of the Lamb?  They *were* in good standing, until what happened occurred (I don't remember exactly how the problems came out, and at this point it really doesn't matter).  They're a prime example of how a community can be perceived one way and the reality was another.  The good thing is that now the community that emerged out of that turmoil seems to be healthier.

Wait, I'm confused. Clarification: is SSVM by default included when someone says IVE? Because I guess I'm just surprised to hear this type of thing about the SSVM since they've gotten such good publicity from Imagine Sisters lately (in Light of Love no less), and I know people I respect who are very seriously discerning with them.

Yes, I know what you mean. We have had VS ers enter SSVM. I wanted to check them out because I thought that although I believe I am called to Apostolic/ semi-contemplative life I should investigate a contemplative and a missionary community to be sure my own wishes were not clouding my judgement. As a mature discerner my choices vis missionary orders were limited and the SSVM looked fab, so joyous!

Ditto Tyburn seemed to tick all my boxes for contemplative communities. It had everything that attracted me. I found two online websites warning about problems with the SSVM so that calmed my interest for the time being there. There was nothing much online about Tyburn it was only when I expressed my interest here, on VS, I heard from the Pham there seemed to be problems.

At the time I was upset, but now I am thankful for the information. It is wonderful that we do have the internet and communities like Phatmass to help us weed out communities with issues. Those who went before us, often went in blind.

As one who was in this community my advice is when discerning with them proceed with a great deal of caution. If there are any nagging feelings about something not being quite right pay attention to them, I wish I would have. If things seem to good to be true they just may be.

Look -- the Imagine Sisters can give positive publicity and that makes sense.  Some things about a community won't necessarily be known by outsiders, and only a person who has lived in that particular community would know. 

In any case -- with any community, careful discernment is definitely called for.  And from my own experience (with a different community) listen to your heart/conscience/instincts.  If something isn't making sense, just because it is a religious community, don't ignore it.  It can be God's way of saying "stop."

I really agree with this. Communities who have serious problems are usually pretty good at hiding their problems from the general public, so they may have all the good publicity in the world and still need to be approached with caution. I think Imagine Sisters is doing a lot of good, but I do have a few qualms with them (but that's neither here nor there).

As cmariadiaz says, careful discernment is called for with any community. If something just doesn't seem right, then it very well may not be.

domenica_therese

If things seem to good to be true they just may be.

Or sometimes God might just be superabundantly good! ;) I see your point though.

Or sometimes God might just be superabundantly good!

I agree with what you are saying.  However, for young readers I want to reinforce that being cautious is not lacking trust in God or his goodness.  It's juse use of their God-given reason and practicing Prudence - which is a virtue. 

On one hand, in cases that seem to good to be true, it might be the result of God's goodness.  In other cases, it might be just be a front.  Discerning between the two is hard, but knowing to keep their eyes open will make it easier. 

And sorry for the typos and poor grammar in the last post.  I don't see an "edit" button this post for some reason, so I can't figure out how to fix it.