An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can Men Be Consecrated Virgins?

Gabriela

Sponsa-Christi

The short answer is: no, men cannot become consecrated virgins. (That is, a man cannot validly receive the Rite of Consecration to a Life of Virginity found in the Roman Pontifical.)

The reason for this is that consecrated virginity is most fundamentally a call to be a bride of Christ, and that this an intrinsically feminine reality. The wording of the Rite of Consecration, as well as the Church's long-standing tradition, is very clear that the consecrated virginity is a vocation reserved exclusively to women. 

Incidentally, a few different theologians have noted that this would seem to give the consecration of virgins a special kind of complementarity to the vocation of Holy Orders--a theme which I hope will be more deeply explored in the coming years, especially after Pope Francis has expressed his desire for a more fully developed theology of women's unique role within the Church. 

Sponsa-Christi

I don't know about "consecrated single life"...but speaking for myself personally, I guess I would sort of tend to see the diocesan priesthood--or maybe the celibate permanent diaconate--as being the closest parallel for men to consecrated virginity. But for a lot of reasons (including probably some fairly obvious reasons!) this parallel is very far from being an exact mirror image. 

To me, I think it's best to understand consecrated virginity simply for what it is--a women's vocation, wherein some women are called to relate to Christ in a specifically feminine way as His bride. It's a vocation that men simply aren't called to, just as Holy Orders is a vocation to which women aren't called. 

On the other hand, and to share my own experience as food for thought...I've never actually understood my own vocation to consecrated virginity as "consecrated single life." First of all, I'm not really single--I'm married to Jesus! :) But even besides that, I saw my own consecration not as a simple call to remain single, but rather as a positive commitment to bind myself more closely to Christ, to the service of His Church, and to a life of public witness.

I do think that some Catholics are genuinely called to live something like a "consecrated single life." Only, I don't see this as being the same thing as consecrated virginity. If somebody did feel called to life a holy lay single life dedicated to the Lord, I think probably the best way to go about doing this would be to make a private vow--something which is equally possible for both men and women. 

Edited by Sponsa-Christi

brandelynmarie

This is fascinating. Is there any form of consecrated single life for men?

I am only aware of The Institute of St. Gabriel Archangel also known as The Gabrielites. :saint: They are part of the Society of St. Paul.

http://www.instituteofsaintgabrielthearchangel.org/

The institute is specifically for men under the Pauline 'banner' I think - however a quick look at their website only made no mention of specifically men who are physical virgins.  I have taken it to mean by their vow of chastity (as well as obedience & poverty) that the institute is open to those men who are physical virgins as well as those who are not?

AccountDeleted

I have a male friend who is a consecrated hermit. He tried religious life in community but it wasn't for him. He is celibate and always has been but being male, he isn't a consecrated virgin, and being a hermit, he supports the Church through prayer rather than through parish activities - so it isn't the same thing. But there are many ways to serve God and the Church for both males and females.

brandelynmarie

http://www.instituteofsaintgabrielthearchangel.org/

The institute is specifically for men under the Pauline 'banner' I think - however a quick look at their website only made no mention of specifically men who are physical virgins. I have taken it to mean by their vow of chastity (as well as obedience & poverty) that the institute is open to those men who are physical virgins as well as those who are not?

I do believe that is correct, consecrated lay life with a vow of chastity, but not specifically consecrated virginity. They also have a female branch called the Annunciationists. :)

If the men wish to associate with such an intention in mind, there is nothing to stop them.  Their form of commitment would be a consecration, and they have every right to benchmark off of what the female CVs are doing.

Blessings,

Gemma

Gemma,

From what it appears, such an association would not be canonically recognized if the rite for consecrated virgins is only for use by women. 

DLM

If the men wish to associate with such an intention in mind, there is nothing to stop them.  Their form of commitment would be a consecration, and they have every right to benchmark off of what the female CVs are doing.

Blessings,

Gemma

I actually think its best that way. Women have something they alone can do (consecrated virginity) and men have something they alone can do (Priesthood). 

Gemma,

From what it appears, such an association would not be canonically recognized if the rite for consecrated virgins is only for use by women.

DLM

I said the guys would benchmark--borrow from/adapt--not use it. This kind of association would be under 'new movements.'

Blessings,

I actually think its best that way. Women have something they alone can do (consecrated virginity) and men have something they alone can do (Priesthood).

So, why am I being flogged for assisting those who feel called to it?

Blessings,

I am sorry that my comments seemed like I was flogging you. I sought to distinguish between canonical consecration and private consecration.