An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Don't Understand Indulgences. Please Explain.

Gabriela

Pay me $50 and I will both explain the issue and forgive the debt you must be cleansed of once sin of your ignorance has been forgiven.  

Edited by Hasan

Very briefly, they are remission of punishment due from sin, I.e. purgatory, gained by some particular praiseworthy act.

Very briefly, they are remission of punishment due from sin, I.e. purgatory, gained by some particular praiseworthy act.

Yeah, but why would I buy an indulgence when all I have to do is go to confession and my sin will be forgiven anyway?

Yeah, but why would I buy an indulgence when all I have to do is go to confession and my sin will be forgiven anyway?

The stain of your ignorance remains.  That's why you must pay me the $50. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I think there are various types of indulgences, 1. is time off purgatory, 2. is time off temporal(the here and now) punishment from sins committed. I don't know of any others but i think there are. My understanding of them is that if you meet the requirements of the indulgence lets say (i will make up an hypothetical indulgence now) You go to mass 4 Saturdays in a row, go to confession once in that time, pray for the pope after every mass and do one act of charity that you wouldn't usually do in that space of time. Now if you complete this hypothetical indulgence the grace attached to it (which was hypothetically gifted to me by God to give to you) and you will receive 500 days off temporal punishment for sins committed and free 1 soul from purgatory. 

This is the structure of the type of indulgence i know of, but as i said i think there are other forms of indulgences. Hope that helps.

Onward christian souls

Jesus is LORD.

P.s. Indulgences as far as i'm aware can have a used by date, some old indulgences according to the magesterium are no longer valid. I did one once an old one and it was a prayer that you learn by heart and once you learn it by heart and pray it, and there was no time frame as to how long you had to pray it for or how often and the whole learning by heart was my assumption, but this prayer could obtain for me 500 days off temporal punishment for sin, again it didn't say whether it would be 500 days in a row or randomly or whatever, i guess that is up to God. Hope that helps too.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

True your sins are forgiven and the absolution is complete but perhaps justice is yet satisfied, in your heart or mind or Gods. Unsure if what i just said is correct and we must not be overly scrupulous, i'm unsure exactly what absolution in the confessional means all i know is that we are absolved of our sin in the confessional, i don't know exactly what it means. And now i'm slightly embarrassed because i don't know, what is absolution exactly guys?

True your sins are forgiven and the absolution is complete but perhaps justice is yet satisfied, in your heart or mind or Gods. Unsure if what i just said is correct and we must not be overly scrupulous, i'm unsure exactly what absolution in the confessional means all i know is that we are absolved of our sin in the confessional, i don't know exactly what it means. And now i'm slightly embarrassed because i don't know, what is absolution exactly guys?

Don't be embarrassed. You're not alone! :-)

We do not buy indulgences anymore.

But besides that, confession forgives your sins, but it does not remit the punishment due in purgatory. A plenary indulgence remits all punishment, partial remits some.

Basically, if you want to look at it this way, confession gets you as far as purgatory, indulgences could - in theory - let you skip or shorten your time in purgatory.

Like I said, that is a very very brief way to look at it, and not particularly nuanced.

The reason we used to talk about days or years or whatnot remitted in partial indulgences is that the counter was a stand in for number of days doing penance. I believe since VII we do not 'officially' use days as counters anymore, we simply say partial or plenary.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

What about the other indulgence that gets you time off temporal punishment for sins commited, or was what i read and did false? And is partial temporal punishment and plenary purgatory? And if not then my whole temporal spit was wrong.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye