An Old School Catholic Message Board

Percy Jackson-house Of Hades =conundrum (spoiler)

blazeingstar

I preview books for my nieces to make sure they are age appropriate as neither of their parents have time to read children's books and rely on me and other friends to.

SPOILER

[spoiler]In this book they take a shot at Christianity claiming that Diocletian was "good" and the character Niko (about 13?) admits he has a crush on Percy and is gay.  There are hints that in the next book he finds his "love".  This is confessed under torture from Eros, a gay "God"[/spoiler]

Of course this brings up just what a 12yo and 10yo should be reading.  If this was you, what would you do?

Edited by blazeingstar

Basilisa Marie

If it were me (though I'm not a parent, so keep that in mind), I'd tell the parents about this and let them make the decision. Are the kids really, really into the series, or just casual readers of a book or two? I know that there's other potentially objectionable content in earlier books in the series.  Do the parents want/are able to have a conversation with their kids about the objectionable content? 

This is the perspective of another one of the books from a Catholic mom. http://www.catholicallyear.com/2013/02/percy-jackson-book-review-in-which-i.htmls

If it were me (though I'm not a parent, so keep that in mind), I'd tell the parents about this and let them make the decision. Are the kids really, really into the series, or just casual readers of a book or two? I know that there's other potentially objectionable content in earlier books in the series.  Do the parents want/are able to have a conversation with their kids about the objectionable content? 

This is the perspective of another one of the books from a Catholic mom. http://www.catholicallyear.com/2013/02/percy-jackson-book-review-in-which-i.htmls

I'm going to talk to my friend/pseudo sister, but knowing her this will mean no-go for the books.  My fiancée and I talked this over as he knows how much the kids mean to me and agreed that for 10 & 12 the "orientation normalization" is not appropriate....that maybe by 16 or 17 it would be better, but they were far too young.

The older one reads faster than I could ever hope to ...and lives and breathes Percy Jackson, the younger one is not that into it.

I agree/disagree the mother's reasons.

ADHD/Dyslexia.  I happen to have these.  As a kid in traditional public school my life was MISERABLE.  I couldn't read well, I couldn't sit still, I was told I was retarded and sent to work with the kids with downs syndrome even though my IQ was off the charts.  I watched my other high IQ counterparts win awards and get privileges as I was told what I couldn't do or be.  I managed to find a group of friends and have them be very close, but this was despite the school, not because of it.  As a kid I wanted to go to Narnia SO badly...I wanted power because I was powerless.  While homeschooling makes life better for some ADHD/Dyslexic kids you're still see as problematic and stupid when you're in 8th grade and you haven't read Pride and Prejudice 8 zillion times. (or whatever book is clique).  Homeschooling---Much worse than public school.

Infidelity- unfortunately due to the kids uncle they know a bit about this.

Most of the other things can be brought about with a good conversation...nothing has been overtly against Christianity thusfar.  It has been opening to another point of view, namely polytheism, but I don't find that *too* troubling

There was a line in a previous book where Percy and Annabeth "fell asleep" (and nothing more) but that got a long talk about appropriate behaviours.  The book was approached with guarded caution.

The blatant attack on Christinity per lauding it's persecute and the open discussion of sexuality does concern me.

It is up to my friends, but I know if I say no, it will be a no to my friend as far as her daughter reading it.  If I say "go for it" it may or may not happen.  I love these kids more than life itself and I have a hard time recommending anything that I think may hurt them.

Edited by blazeingstar

Basilisa Marie

Side note: the reason why I ask whether or not they're really into the series is that I was a voracious reader when I was a preteen, and occasionally my mom would tell me I couldn't read a book. Sometimes I listened, like if she said the book was for adults, but more often than not I'd find a way to read it anyway, if it was a book directed at kids or teens.  I'd just find a copy in my public school's library and read it there. I'd have been better off with a conversation with my parents about any objectionable content, because I found a way to read it anyway. I was an obnoxious kid. 

Anyway yeah, I do agree that it'd be more suited to an older age level, especially if the parents wouldn't have a conversation about the parts of the book that are objectionable. For me it'd depend on how much "orientation normalization" they've already encountered in other media and whether or not I'd be able to talk to them about it. 

Side note: the reason why I ask whether or not they're really into the series is that I was a voracious reader when I was a preteen, and occasionally my mom would tell me I couldn't read a book. Sometimes I listened, like if she said the book was for adults, but more often than not I'd find a way to read it anyway, if it was a book directed at kids or teens.  I'd just find a copy in my public school's library and read it there. I'd have been better off with a conversation with my parents about any objectionable content, because I found a way to read it anyway. I was an obnoxious kid. 

Anyway yeah, I do agree that it'd be more suited to an older age level, especially if the parents wouldn't have a conversation about the parts of the book that are objectionable. For me it'd depend on how much "orientation normalization" they've already encountered in other media and whether or not I'd be able to talk to them about it. 

They are Catholic Home schoolers so chances of rogue reading and their secular influences are very slim.

A kid in my class told me about this and you should have seen my face! I was like WHO TOLD YOU THIS!!!? He said that one of our teachers had so I went to the teacher and asked him jokingly WHY DID YOU HAVE TO RUIN THE SERIES FOR ME? He said he thought that Ben, my class mate, would not go and tell me about this. I have not read the book but I will tell you what I think of this after I read it.

I love this series.

I, a teen, am still going to read the book but I am highly disappointed in James Patterson. I know he has to reach out to "both" crowds but still why did he have to ruin the series for me?

I am reading the book right now and am highly enjoying it, but I have not gotten to the revealing of Niko's sexuality...

Samantha Fugate Smith

Ugh, just got to this part, Where Nico and Jason meed West Wind and Cupid. about 46% thru thre book ( as kindle counts it )

My son is a rick riordan sponge, and is begging me daily to finish so he can read.. and is 10 y.o. but emotionally delayed and I am uncertain how much of this he can handle.

I mean, he just can't work things out and conscience formation is severely delayed.

I am going to have to pray about it.

Ugh, just got to this part, Where Nico and Jason meed West Wind and Cupid. about 46% thru thre book ( as kindle counts it )

My son is a rick riordan sponge, and is begging me daily to finish so he can read.. and is 10 y.o. but emotionally delayed and I am uncertain how much of this he can handle.

I mean, he just can't work things out and conscience formation is severely delayed.

I am going to have to pray about it.

My fiancee and I talked this out, we don't have kids, but I'm close to my "neices" and he was big brother to his much younger cousing growing up (11 years his junior).  We came to the conclusion it is just not appropriate for kids under 14/15 who aren't already exposed to what sexual feelings actually mean.  Kids develop these feelings 9-13 but until they mature a bit they can easily confuse sexual desire for loneliness, familial or friendship love.

I think that our "hands off" society has created much of the homosexual culture becuase men cannot touch other men without it being gay.  I know many immigrant men who struggle with this as in many other countries, men can hold hands, hug and kiss and will be considered straight...affection and sexuality are not linked the way they are in America.

Semper Catholic

I'd throw it out and have them read the Odyssey or the Illiad, not some "#YOLOSWAG Poseidon is my Dad LoL XD" version of mythology

I'd throw it out and have them read the Odyssey or the Illiad, not some "#YOLOSWAG Poseidon is my Dad LoL XD" version of mythology

Except these are 6-11yo kids...not exactly Iliad or Odyssey reading level...even in some of the more accessible translations. (Except the Wishbone version.  Cause anything he did was amazing)