An Old School Catholic Message Board

Marijuana Is Safer Than Alcohol

CrossCuT

Actually, the article I posted did not really get into the crime aspect, but did note that drivers on marijuana may be safer than on alcohol. (It also noted that the combination of the two is more dangerous than either alone, so please don't tell me you drink as well.)

This difference that you note may also come from:

Comparative effects of alcohol and marijuana on mood, memory, and performance.

Both drugs produced comparable impairment in digit-symbol substitution and word recall tests, but had no effect in time perception and reaction time tests. Alcohol, but not marijuana, slightly impaired performance in a number recognition test. These data are useful for understanding the relative performance impairment produced by alcohol and marijuana at the delivered doses and the relationship between their subjective and behavioral effects.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9264076

I recently met a woman who got into other drugs because of the attitude about drugs that she and her crowd developed after she got into marijuana. I'm not saying it is always a gateway, but we need to be careful what kind of culture we create regarding what we put in our bodies.

Regarding your belief that it is not addictive:

I am personally acquainted with an addict.

Marijuana accounts for most adolescent drug treatment admissions and progressively smaller proportions of admissions in each successive higher age group (SAMHSA, 2006b)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2797098/

Neurochemical basis of cannabis addiction.

Maldonado R, Berrendero F, Ozaita A, Robledo P.

Abstract

Multiple studies have demonstrated the specific involvement of CB1 cannabinoid receptors in the addictive properties of cannabinoids. Several neurotransmitter systems involved in the addictive effects of other prototypical drugs of abuse, such as the dopaminergic and the opioid system are also involved in cannabis addiction.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21334423

The diagnosis of marijuana (cannabis) dependence.

Miller NS, Gold MS.

Abstract

The definition of marijuana (Cannabis) dependence (addiction) contains three critical elements. These are (a) preoccupation with the acquisition of marijuana, (b) compulsive use of marijuana, (c) relapse to or recurrent use of the marijuana. The manifestations of abnormal marijuana use may assume many forms. Medical, psychiatric, neurological, traumatic, and sociological sequelae occur commonly in acute and chronic marijuana use. … Marijuana addicts use abnormally because of what marijuana does to them and not for them. Marijuana reinforces its own use. Psychosocial stressors are not required to produce a marijuana addiction in biologically susceptible individuals. Consequences that result from an addiction to marijuana do not produce the abnormal use. A presumptive diagnosis of marijuana dependence (addiction) can be established by detecting significant consequences associated with marijuana use. A definitive diagnosis entails confirming the presence of addictive behavior by identifying a preoccupation, compulsivity and relapse relative to the drug, marijuana.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2677398

Edited by Light and Truth

Isidore_of_Seville

Actually, the article I posted did not really get into the crime aspect, but did note that drivers on marijuana may be safer than on alcohol. (It also noted that the combination of the two is more dangerous than either alone, so please don't tell me you drink as well.)

This difference that you note may also come from:

Comparative effects of alcohol and marijuana on mood, memory, and performance.

Both drugs produced comparable impairment in digit-symbol substitution and word recall tests, but had no effect in time perception and reaction time tests. Alcohol, but not marijuana, slightly impaired performance in a number recognition test. These data are useful for understanding the relative performance impairment produced by alcohol and marijuana at the delivered doses and the relationship between their subjective and behavioral effects.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9264076

I recently met a woman who got into other drugs because of the attitude about drugs that she and her crowd developed after she got into marijuana. I'm not saying it is always a gateway, but we need to be careful what kind of culture we create regarding what we put in our bodies.

Regarding your belief that it is not addictive:

I am personally acquainted with an addict.

Marijuana accounts for most adolescent drug treatment admissions and progressively smaller proportions of admissions in each successive higher age group (SAMHSA, 2006b)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2797098/

Neurochemical basis of cannabis addiction.

Maldonado R, Berrendero F, Ozaita A, Robledo P.

Abstract

Multiple studies have demonstrated the specific involvement of CB1 cannabinoid receptors in the addictive properties of cannabinoids. Several neurotransmitter systems involved in the addictive effects of other prototypical drugs of abuse, such as the dopaminergic and the opioid system are also involved in cannabis addiction.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21334423

The diagnosis of marijuana (cannabis) dependence.

Miller NS, Gold MS.

Abstract

The definition of marijuana (Cannabis) dependence (addiction) contains three critical elements. These are (a) preoccupation with the acquisition of marijuana, (b) compulsive use of marijuana, (c) relapse to or recurrent use of the marijuana. The manifestations of abnormal marijuana use may assume many forms. Medical, psychiatric, neurological, traumatic, and sociological sequelae occur commonly in acute and chronic marijuana use. … Marijuana addicts use abnormally because of what marijuana does to them and not for them. Marijuana reinforces its own use. Psychosocial stressors are not required to produce a marijuana addiction in biologically susceptible individuals. Consequences that result from an addiction to marijuana do not produce the abnormal use. A presumptive diagnosis of marijuana dependence (addiction) can be established by detecting significant consequences associated with marijuana use. A definitive diagnosis entails confirming the presence of addictive behavior by identifying a preoccupation, compulsivity and relapse relative to the drug, marijuana.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2677398

Right, so the article and info you linked is from 2007 (which was almost 7 years ago, by the way) which is when medical marijuana use was just getting more popular and more studies were beginning to emerge. It has since been proven that marijuana very rarely creates a physical dependency, so rare that is not classified as being physically dependent by most researchers.

You are entitled to you opinion, but I will only accept your stance on marijuana if you tell me that you feel the same way about alcohol. Otherwise you would be a hipocrit, as here is one graph from the very article you linked, which completely contradicts your statement that "Marijuana accounts for most adolescent drug treatment admissions". Yes, I am using the very article you linked to prove you wrong.

ASCP-04-1-4-g001.jpg

Isidore_of_Seville

Also please note the difference between "PHYSICAL ADDICTION" and "PSYCHOLOGICAL ADDICTION".  The former being classified as producing heavy withdrawal and a sickness that is incredibly difficult to bear, and the latter being classified as manageable by proper will power.

Edited by Isidore_of_Seville

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Spiritual Question for you, Tab:

Can you explain to me how doing things recreationally is a sin? I don't think that God ever banned fun in the bible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recreation

Medical statement for you, Tab:

You should probably read the article that Cross Cut posted at the start of this thread (clearly you didn't before you posted these comments) because it basically addresses all of your medical concerns.

There not concerns there street wise experience, actual truth not simple facts, though facts have some truth but you need many facts to even get close to an actual truth and there are no where near enough facts on the matter so we must rely 100% on the street wise truth, that street wise truth on the matter at present being me from experience of marijuana for myself and many that use it, and i don't mean a few.  Tell me if your one of those people that believe the fire jesus is going to consume the earth with is marijuana?

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Also please note the difference between "PHYSICAL ADDICTION" and "PSYCHOLOGICAL ADDICTION".  The former being classified as producing heavy withdrawal and a sickness that is incredibly difficult to bear, and the latter being classified as manageable by proper will power.

Some studies show the possibility of both, with physical addiction most common in those under 25.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I suppose coffee isn't physically addictive either ? You will hang out for coffee if you have enough of it regularly enough and you stop suddenly and yes there will be physical withdrawals, and i think your talking about alcoholics as is the study and not those that moderate there alcohol consumption.

Isidore_of_Seville

I suppose coffee isn't physically addictive either ? You will hang out for coffee if you have enough of it regularly enough and you stop suddenly and yes there will be physical withdrawals, and i think your talking about alcoholics as is the study and not those that moderate there alcohol consumption.

You are saying that coffee is the same thing as marijuana. They are not the same thing, as is made clear by their different names and different chemical properties.

Right, so the article and info you linked is from 2007 (which was almost 7 years ago, by the way) which is when medical marijuana use was just getting more popular and more studies were beginning to emerge. It has since been proven that marijuana very rarely creates a physical dependency, so rare that is not classified as being physically dependent by most researchers.

You are entitled to you opinion, but I will only accept your stance on marijuana if you tell me that you feel the same way about alcohol. Otherwise you would be a hipocrit, as here is one graph from the very article you linked, which completely contradicts your statement that "Marijuana accounts for most adolescent drug treatment admissions". Yes, I am using the very article you linked to prove you wrong.

ASCP-04-1-4-g001.jpg

I was not trying to make the point that alcohol is so much safer, but that marijuana is still dangerous and legalizing it does lead to crime (all-be-it in a slightly different way than , and the original article was slightly biased.

My original sources included talks by: Former Assistant U.S. Attorney and member of an Organized Crime/Drug Enforcement Task Force; District Attorney; Assistant District Attorney; International Gang & Cartel Expert /Correspondent; Criminal Lawyer and Drug Policy Expert; Professor at Harvard Medical School; several state government legislators; Attorney, Government Litigation and Lead Expert on Marijuana dispensary litigation; city attorney; several people in media communications; Founding Chair, Department of Pharmaceutical Economics and Policy in the School of Pharmacy/ Department of Economics, and Leonard Schaeffer Center for Health Policy and Economics, University of Southern California; three sheriffs; and an undersheriff.

Which of the above titles of people would like the names and my best help to get you in contact with them for your sources?

Smoking marijuana is dangerous and dumb. It has multiple long term medical effects that damage the body. There are safer alternatives being developed. We can legalize marijuana in some ways, but it still won't be fully legal. While we may not have as many arrests for marijuana possession, we will increase other crimes as well as exposure of marijuana to children-the most vulnerable to addiction and to having their lives damaged.

And yes, if I drank a remotely nearly as frequently as often as you smoke marijuana, I would lose so much self-respect. A brain is a valuable tool, not to be taken lightly.

Isidore_of_Seville

I was not trying to make the point that alcohol is so much safer, but that marijuana is still dangerous and legalizing it does lead to crime (all-be-it in a slightly different way than , and the original article was slightly biased.

My original sources included talks by: Former Assistant U.S. Attorney and member of an Organized Crime/Drug Enforcement Task Force; District Attorney; Assistant District Attorney; International Gang & Cartel Expert /Correspondent; Criminal Lawyer and Drug Policy Expert; Professor at Harvard Medical School; several state government legislators; Attorney, Government Litigation and Lead Expert on Marijuana dispensary litigation; city attorney; several people in media communications; Founding Chair, Department of Pharmaceutical Economics and Policy in the School of Pharmacy/ Department of Economics, and Leonard Schaeffer Center for Health Policy and Economics, University of Southern California; three sheriffs; and an undersheriff.

Which of the above titles of people would like the names and my best help to get you in contact with them for your sources?

Smoking marijuana is dangerous and dumb. It has multiple long term medical effects that damage the body. There are safer alternatives being developed. We can legalize marijuana in some ways, but it still won't be fully legal. While we may not have as many arrests for marijuana possession, we will increase other crimes as well as exposure of marijuana to children-the most vulnerable to addiction and to having their lives damaged.

And yes, if I drank a remotely nearly as frequently as often as you smoke marijuana, I would lose so much self-respect.

GreenEggsHam1.jpg

Also, for the love of God please read the initial article that Cross Cut posted.

GreenEggsHam1.jpg

Wow, that is persuasive. Maybe I can hear that from someone that doesn't put mind-altering substances in their body every day too. :p

Isidore_of_Seville

Wow, that is persuasive. Maybe I can hear that from someone that doesn't put mind-altering substances in their body every day too. :P

All you gotta do is read the article that Cross Cut posted and your wish will be granted :)

Also, for the love of God please read the initial article that Cross Cut posted.

I even referenced the opening of it in one of my posts, but the best argument for legalization isn't that it is safer by is one based on economics.

All you gotta do is read the article that Cross Cut posted and your wish will be granted :)

You paid some measure of attention to the disclaimer of who wrote the article, right?  Follow the money...

Isidore_of_Seville

I even referenced the opening of it in one of my posts, but the best argument for legalization isn't that it is safer by is one based on economics.

They are both solid arguments.

Are you around on skype? I would love to show you who I am and talk to you. I think it's quite mean that you said if you lived like me you would lose your self respect. You have no idea who I am.

Don't be so judgmental, Jesus had a whole thing about that.

They are both solid arguments.

Are you around on skype? I would love to show you who I am and talk to you. I think it's quite mean that you said if you lived like me you would lose your self respect. You have no idea who I am.

Don't be so judgmental, Jesus had a whole thing about that.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Let me put it another way. If I frequently ingested mind-altering substances that we not necessary for my life, ability to function in this world, or relief from great physical pain, and did so on a regular basis, I would lose a lot of self-respect because I would be violating my beliefs about the value of a life and body in light of what I have learned about science and the way they can affect the body. Were I to frequently do so for an above mentioned reason, I would do so after a lot of medical testing and alternatives were considered, using only legal substances out of respect for the government including my understanding of a Biblical/Christian view of government. If I acted against that on a regular basis, I would not see fit to respect that hypocrite I would be.

You are welcome to PM me here. You might be surprised yourself at the medical conditions people I knew have faced.