An Old School Catholic Message Board

"self-monitoring" In Religious Life?

Gabriela

Catherine Therese

14/25

Other data for your survey:

- I have previously belonged to an active/contemplative order.

- I still feel drawn to consecrated life, and I feel convinced that whatever shape that takes, it must have a deeply contemplative basis, even if it involves some form of active apostolate also.

- If I were involved in an apostolate, it would be teaching of some sort - hopefully either high school religion and history, or tertiary theology and philosophy. (There is absolutely NO dodging my Dominican-ness, is there?)

- I DO believe, however, that I could happily live as a contemplative without an active component... the reverse cannot be said...

CatholicsAreKewl

I think your research idea is fascinating. I'm so pming you.

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

I scored 10/25. I am more drawn to active life or active-contemplative. This is an interesting topic.

TT ... I had the same score. If I entered religious life again it would be an active contemplative order (and I'd be looking for one that didn't swing in either direction too much with a bit of a preference on the active side).

This is quite interesting indeed.

I got 24 out of 25, and scored 99.54% higher than most. Pretty much, no one but God knows who I really am. :P

But it makes sense. I act differently in different situations all the time. I'm different with everyone I meet, really. I'm super talkative to my friends and am super energized when around them, but to most I'm quiet and reserved. People often say they've never known someone so calm and peaceful as I am. My spiritual director recently asked what my secret is. :P

Oh, and I'm interested in the diocesan priesthood. It will probably be good thar I can blend with any group if/when I'm a priest, because priests tend to have to be social and interact with different people constantly.

Gosh, why do I find this unsurprising?  :P I can actually see how being a HSM would be really good for a parish priest. (Tell your SD that your secret is you're an extreme HSM!)

K, I'm going to put a hole in your theory because I scored 15/25 and if I were to enter an order, it better be contemplative and cloistered.

I don't have a theory, so you can't put a hole in anything! ;-) I was just curious, but this is indeed shaping up to be super-interesting. There was of course a possibility that those in/attracted to religious life are distributed just like the general populace (that would make sense for several reasons), but something suggested to me that there would be a difference between active and contemplative. Indeed, as we are rutsching up from LSM to HSM, you see (most) people are shifting from straight contemplative to contemplative-active—and the parish priest is practically off the charts. I could hypothesize now that the contemplatives would be generally LSMs, active-contemplatives would be middle-of-the-road, and actives would be HSMs. (But where are all the actives?!) So actually, rather than ruining anything, truthfinder, I think you're simply something of an outlier! That's ok, I'm sure. It takes all kinds to make a community run!  :like: 

13/25, pretty much middle-of-the-road.

Ohhh! Maybe 13 is the cut-off. Was the message it gave you the same as for Barbara Therese, or was it different? And are you drawn to active or contemplative (or active-contemplative) life? Thanks, B&G! :)

I think your research idea is fascinating. I'm so pming you.

It wasn't a research idea to start out with, but it is starting to look like it'd make an excellent one. I don't do quantitative research though—so it's all you, CaK. :)

BTW: Where are all the ladies called to active life??? Is it just us contemplatives still hanging around here? Or are the actives all out being... active?  :hehe2:  We need them to see if there really is a difference!

Edited by curiousing

FYI: In the general populace (of the United States), LSMs are 60% and HSMs are 40%. Obviously, in other cultures, they will distribute differently. I should think that, in Asian cultures for example, there are a whole lot more HSMs. Although, there is significant research suggesting that self-monitoring is a biologically based personality trait. They have found that identical twins are nearly always the same on this measure, whereas non-identical twins are the same less often, but still at more than a chance rate. The research therefore suggests that, while one can learn behaviors to be either one or the other, one's natural tendency will remain the same throughout one's life, because of the biological basis.

Ok, I went in and took the test just to see what message HSMs get. So here are the two, pulling the LSM one from BT's post:

LSMs: "Your score (##/25) indicates that you value staying true to yourself and are unwilling to modify your behavior just to get the approval of others. You probably do not like to be the center of attention very often. "

HSMs: "Your score (##/25) indicates that you are a relatively high self monitor. You are willing to be the center of attention[,] are sensitive to others['] reactions[,] and will adjust your behavior to get positive reactions from others. "

Now, where is the cut-off? I would expect it to be around 12 or 13... (halfway up the 25-item scale).

Edited by curiousing

13/25. active ... and btw it gave me the hsm message

Ah! You got the HSM message? So now we just need to know if it's at 13 or 12...  :like: 

Your score (7/25) indicates that you value staying true to yourself and are unwilling to modify your behavior just to get the approval of thers. You probably do not like to be the center of attention very often.

Below is a graph of how other people who have taken this test have scored.

SM.png

You scored higher than 8.59% of them.

Married lay woman, secular contemplative in a mendicant order.   Have cloistered nuns who joke that I am 'more cloistered than most nuns' because I live in a somewhat inaccessible area.  My husband works nights... I tend to be alone a LOT.  And while I'm good with people, I really like having the alone time....

Oh... was a postulant in an active contemplative community at one point and nearly went crazy from lack of alone time and feeling like I was not myself....

Edited by AnneLine

PhuturePriest

Gosh, why do I find this unsurprising?  :P I can actually see how being a HSM would be really good for a parish priest. (Tell your SD that your secret is you're an extreme HSM!)

I don't have a theory, so you can't put a hole in anything! ;-) I was just curious, but this is indeed shaping up to be super-interesting. There was of course a possibility that those in/attracted to religious life are distributed just like the general populace (that would make sense for several reasons), but something suggested to me that there would be a difference between active and contemplative. Indeed, as we are rutsching up from LSM to HSM, you see (most) people are shifting from straight contemplative to contemplative-active—and the parish priest is practically off the charts. I could hypothesize now that the contemplatives would be generally LSMs, active-contemplatives would be middle-of-the-road, and actives would be HSMs. (But where are all the actives?!) So actually, rather than ruining anything, truthfinder, I think you're simply something of an outlier! That's ok, I'm sure. It takes all kinds to make a community run!  :like: 

BTW: Where are all the ladies called to active life??? Is it just us contemplatives still hanging around here? Or are the actives all out being... active?  :hehe2:  We need them to see if there really is a difference!

So far, I am by far the most extreme and therefore coolest person to have posted on this thread.

But, to help this scientific study out, if I were to join an Order, it would definitely be active.

And yeah, I can see how it would be helpful. The only thing I have to remind myself is that, as important as I naturally think pleasing people is, if I have to say something, I have to do it, even if people don't like what I say. I always avoid saying things that might conflict with others. As a small example, I absolutely love the song What Does The Fox Say. But my best friend, Emily, does not. When she told me she didn't, even though I totally loved it, I toned down my love for it and made it look like I was indifferent to the song entirely, even though last night I almost wrecked the car because it came on the radio and I was excited. :P I just don't like disagreeing with people, especially if I like them a lot. I've learned to make myself say something and disagree if it's important, though.

But this really does make sense. I'm always constantly asking people how they perceive me, and it's because I don't know what my personality really is. I know I love talking and being around people, and I can be really energetic and excited. But at the next moment I can make myself be passive and calm, and not talk a lot at all. I enjoy talking and being energetic and excited more, so I guess that's what my personality really is, but that's kind of unfortunate, as I'm rarely in situations that I feel call myself to be that way. :P

Edited by FuturePriest387

PoorClareHopeful

I scored a 3.5. I really don't like being the center of attention and I definitely stay true to who I am and I don't change myself to impress others. I too am drawn to cloistered life. This post is very interesting! Thanks for sharing. God bless.