An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wow! Benedictines Of Perpetual Adoration Taking In Carmelite Nuns

DameAgnes

Fair few related links in the article.  Looking forward to having a good read and thanks for posting.  About to head off to voluntary work.

Yes, Elizabeth Scalia's "The Anchoress" blog (on the above Patheos link) is incredibly well-written and encouraging...especially with regards to the declining membership of some communities.  Her "reporting" of new postulants, novices and professed members is,

indeed, good news!  And as a priest once told me, entrance into religious life is not the end of discernment--but the beginning.  So

it is--with the beautiful generosity of the Benedictines and the joyful willingness of the Carmelite nuns to follow the Holy Spirit where

He leads them. 

This is just wonderful, especially since many communities in a similar situation have had to make the difficult deicision of just completely dissolving the community because they couldn't maintain their monasteries. Now they know that each Sister will be able to live out the rest of her life in a monastic setting. What a beautiful gift!

Which Carmelite community moved to Clyde? Is it the nuns that were in Jefferson City? I know that the Springfield, MO Carmelite nuns moved in with the Jefferson City Carmelite nuns, but I don't know how many are in the new combined community.

Also, I'm happy to see the group photo of the Sioux City community. A woman from my neighborhood used to be the prioress there, but she got a brain tumor (I think it was) and passed away. I'm happy to see that they have a couple of novices.

I know a few years ago the Discalced Carmelite Father General encouraged the Nuns to get practical about how many Carmelite Monasteries really made sense, and what they were going to do about those communities that had more aged nuns than they could realistically care for even with the best of intentions.  Communities were encouraged to see if they could find another community that was close enough in spirit and history and in the way they lived out the rule (because there is a lot of variety between the communities, even without considering any distinctions between the 1990 and the 1991 constitution monasteries.  That is why people say you can't tell that someone has a vocation to Carmel until they realize they are called to a particular monastery!).  But Fr. Saverio's insistence that the nuns really discern this is bearing some wonderful fruit... in combined monasteries AND in creative solutions like this one.

A few years back, Cristo Rey in San Francisco and Christ the Exiled King in Berkeley combined... and they have a wonderful, vibrant monastery.

There have been a number of other communities as well!

And part of the reason the Elysburg monastery was available for the JMJ Valparaiso nuns was that an active community of Franciscan Sisters did exactly the same thing as the Clyde sisters are doing with the aging community that had lived at Elysburg.... and those sisters are still living out their Carmelite vocations with the help of the Franciscan Sisters on a separate building on the Franciscan Sisters motherhouse campus... and the nuns know their elderly sisters will be able to get end-of-life care with the Franciscan Sisters. 

Many communities of the Carmelite Nuns and some of the Friars have found a place with the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles, who specialize in elder care.
These are wonderful things!!!!

In my opinion, The Holy Spirit will give us what we need, and make way for what needs to be made way for... if we will stop trying to drive the car all the time!  And I need to start with my own life, so pray for me as I do for all of you AND for all of them!

Edited by AnneLine

What an amazing gesture of Benedictine hospitality. Hoping more of the dwindling groups of Carmelites and other communities can do this with mutual benefits for both. The grounds of Clyde are so beautiful.

The former Indianapolis Carmel was also offered hospitality by the Oldenburg Franciscans. The Franciscans are an active community, but the Carmelites are in their own house on the Oldenburg property. They attend mass with the Franciscans, and also have access to the health care and nursing care for the elderly of the Franciscans. But they also have the ability to live separately and maintain their own spirituality....

I have a friend in the Redemptoristines who are with theBeacon Carmel, and have been invited to visit,which I hope to do in the spring. If and when I do, I will write here about it.

• 5 years later...
justtrying

Does anyone know where the Discalced Carmelite Nuns from Jefferson City are now since they moved to the Clyde Benedictine monastery in 2013 - that's 6 years ago.