An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question About The Passion Preview

DojoGrant

I'm wondering who is crushing the snake in the preview of The Passion. I know that some translations (namely Catholic) translate that "she" will crush its (the snake) head, while others say "he" will crush its head. She, being Mary, and He, being Jesus. We don't see in the preview who is crushing it, but since the devil is portrayed as a woman, and Mary is the new Eve, I'm getting the feeling that it may be Mary who crushes the snake in the movie. I just get that vibe.

What do you guys think? If it was Mary, I can see a lot of Protestants being very upset with the movie.

Anyway, its just something I thought of.

I personally think that it's firmly rooted in Tradition that it was the heel of Our Lady that crushed the head of Satan -- by her fiat, her "yes," Mary reversed what Eve had done and crushed Satan's head by consenting to Jesus coming into the world through her. Nevertheless, even though it was Mary who was the human being who had done this, it was God who had done it by giving her the grace to do it.

So, in a sense, it was both of them.

cmotherofpirl

St Jerome thought it should be translated "she". But the RSV translation is "he" which makes more sense, since Jesus dying on the cross conquers death and sin.