An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Dog Is Dying

missionseeker

IgnatiusofLoyola

Missionseeker--I understand all too well what you're going through, and I'll pray both for you and for your dog.

The day after Memorial Day, I had to have my beloved cat Leo euthanized. He had been my friend and companion for 17 years.

Leo's death was not unexpected. He had both hyperthyroidism and chronic kidney failure. When the kidney failure was diagnosed, my vet suggested that giving Leo extra fluids every day subcutaneously would both help his condition and help him feel better. This involved using an IV bag and a very sharp needle to put fluids under Leo's skin. I hated needles, and the first few times I gave Leo fluids I felt woozy. (Thankfully, there was no blood involved.)

I expected that giving Leo fluids every day would help keep Leo alive for a month or two, since kidney failure is quite serious. Instead, giving Leo subcutaneous fluids not only kept him alive, but kept him happy and comfortable for about 18 months. In the last month, Leo was obviously going downhill, and my vet and I went into "hospice mode," trying to keep Leo comfortable and pain free. Finally, last Memorial Day, Leo was in obvious pain. I called the vet the next day, and she came out within a couple of hours and she euthanized him. My vet had rescued Leo and his littermates, when their mother was killed when they were about 10 days old. My vet and her sister got up every two hours to feed them, and Leo was just as much my vet's cat as mine.

I was surprised at how much Leo trusted me--far more trust than I deserved. For the final 18 months, Leo didn't want to be far from me. If he wasn't at my feet, he sat on the floor on the couch next to me, and slept with me at night.

Soon after I started giving Leo fluids, I discovered on a Web site that some people consider St. Anthony as a special saint for domestic animals. I've always liked St Anthony for other reasons, so I always had a St. Anthony medal near me when I gave Leo fluids, and I'd pray to St. Anthony to guide my hands (especially since I have a hand tremor), and that I would cause Leo no pain. Leo never fought me when it was time to give him fluids. He seemed to understand that the fluids not only helped him, but made him feel better.

Leo never had a middle name, but after a few months, I decided that his name would be Leo Anthony.

So, I'll pray to St. Anthony that he watch over both you and your dog, and that he gives you courage if the time comes that you have to make the difficult decision to euthanize your dog.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

After enduring the long difficult battle with our dog this summer, I know all too well what you are experiencing.  It was the hardest decision we had to make to put our beloved Lucy down.  She was the biggest sweetie and I miss her so much.  She had hypothyroidism, chronic pain issues, arthritis (the severity was getting worse), and she was going blind and deaf.  It's so hard to see a pet that you loved for so long go through so much.  You want the best for them but making that decision is never easy - even though you know their suffering will end and they will be in a better place.  We got another dog a month after we put Lucy down.  I just couldn't stand not having a pet in the house.  It didn't make the grief disappear (I don't think I'll ever stop missing her) but it made it easier to bear.  There are still times where I will think about Lucy and I start to well up with tears but I love Daisy (our new dog) and she is more of my dog than Lucy was (Lucy was my mom's dog whereas Daisy considers my mom and I co-owners since we picked her up together). 

I will keep you in prayer.  I believe that we will see our beloved pets in heaven.  Pets create heaven for us here below with their love and joy they bring to us.  I think Jesus would want us to be comforted by familiar surroundings in heaven.  :)

IgnatiusofLoyola

I'm going to take her today. :cry:

I wish I didn't know how you feel, but I do. Your dog knows you love her. And, God loves her, too--God made her, after all, and made it possible for you to adopt her. 

I'll be praying for you. I'll also ask St. Anthony to pray for you.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My brother just went through a similar experience and their little family stills grieves, including their other dog. It will take time. And the time you take, however short or long, is what's needed for you.

My puppy has been with me through thick and thin... She has often been there when my family wasn't. She's well now, thanks be to God, but considering her death brings forth more grief than would most people's. I feel your loss and will keep you and your family in my prayers.