An Old School Catholic Message Board

First Profession At Olam

nikita92

Carmelite4christ

Hello, I look up the monasteries website, the convents in Alabama and Arizona, I met mother Angelica almost 16 years ago, it's hard to believe.... time goes quickly. I was discerning a vocation... but didn't enter. I wondered what happened to sister Esther Marie, sister Joanna and sister Augustine. I stayed a couple of days on retreat  there. They  were so kind and every now and then I look up the monasteries website to see their beautiful pictures of gardens and of course the chapel. I think being a sister is a wonderful  vocation, I think once your a nun and called to a wonderful life of dedication and devotion, I wonder why some leave,? I hear some nuns go into a different order as sister Catherine did. Just wondering how a person can give up their  vocation if they been at a convent for years. Mother Angelica was so kind.  I was saddened to hear  of her passing away  last year. 

"What is impossible for human beings is possible for God."  (Luke Chapter 18)  Not at all unusual for God to write very straight in crooked and incomprehensible lines to our way of thinking. 

"My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor My ways your ways, says The Lord" (Isaiah 55)

Reminds me of the scouts' motto "Be prepared". :) 

The 3 nuns you asked about discerned out or transferred to other communities .   I know their full stories but will not divulge them due to privacy reasons.

I have to tell you that I was soooo excited to see the title of this thread only to realize it was resurrected from 2013.  I have often wondered about OLAM and their new novices and postulant as they are not in any of their pictures posted in Newsletters.  For a community that was so open, having followed them since the late 1980's and the influence that Mother has had on my family, it's a bit annoying to be so radically cut off-----but knowing the history, I get it and keep them in my prayers. 

Carmelite4christ

Francis Clare, of course I understand that.I wanted  very much to be a nun and mother angelica told me I had a vocation. ... sadly, I  couldnt leave my family, as I was close with them. So being in that position. I feel sometimes I missed out on a life of service to the Lord,however it's our heart and lifestyle that count. I live a very quiet life, I work and stay home, go to church when I can, I love being in silence.... I am devastated as how liberal this world turned out. Though no one is perfect only Jesus is. I feel uncomfortable with the ways of the world, how everything ungodly is accepted. Our Catholic Bible is black and white, though it's not easy to live a godly life, we can only live in this manner by God's grace and the holy spirit living within us. If we feel uncomfortable with  the ways of the world, it's a good  sign. My prayer is that I love Jesus with all of my heart,and not to grieve his heart. 

9 hours ago, Carmelite4christ said:

I feel sometimes I missed out on a life of service to the Lord,however it's our heart and lifestyle that count

Sometimes that "grass is greener over there" feeling - and feeling that one has missed their vocation can be a very real temptation in order to dissuade a person from a life of loving service of The Lord exactly where the person is in the now, the here and now -  and where God means us to be, to bloom where we are planted and to do so in His Peace and His Joy.  See Catholic Catechism on "God Carries Out His Plan: Divine Providence" (the whole section is worth the read) No. 313 "We know that in everything God works for good for those who love him." [Rom 8:28] The constant witness of the saints confirms this truth"

I am very confident that a spiritual director would be helpful to you - or even a chat with a priest.

God bless you, C4C..........

PS I think you have a beautiful disposition and you are quite correct "it's our heart and lifestyle that count".

Sometimes it can unfold that as one strives for holiness exactly where they are that God can reveal His Plan.  The person may come to the realization that they are where they are meant to be.........or their real vocation becomes apparent.

I don't know your age, but there are religious orders that will take more mature women and some of them are Carmelite.  

Edited by BarbaraTherese