An Old School Catholic Message Board

Brigittine Nuns?

Pia Jesu

Has anyone had contact with the Brigittine (sometimes spelled Bridgettine or Birgittine) nuns of Darien, CT?  There is a news article on them (dated Jan., 2013):

http://www.darientimes.com/14262/darien-convent-defined-by-openness-hospitality/

Also found a brief description of their charism:

http://www.birgittines-us.com    (scroll down to "About the Birgittine order")

I remember seeing a photo of St. Padre Pio's sister, Sr. Pia, with the unusual "Crown of the Five Holy Wounds" headpiece.  I'm not sure how the nuns live out their charism in Italy...but their Vikingsborg Guest House in Darien, CT, provides peaceful lodging to travelers (and retreatants).

There are a few branches of Brigittines today.. just went to go find the thread where I wrote this out, here it is, http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/127495-brigittine-servitores-of-the-most-holy-savior-tyler-tx/?p=2553869

The Sisters in CT are part of the congregation founded by Blessed Elizabeth Hesselblad. I stayed at their guesthouse in Assisi :like: http://www.brigidine.org/en-EN/default.aspx?idt=145

brandelynmarie

Fascinating, thanks Chiqui :) .Soooo, there are two types of cloistered communities, Primitive Observance & "of the Recollection" & other communities that I would consider contemplative-active....

graciandelamadrededios

Fascinating, thanks Chiqui :) .Soooo, there are two types of cloistered communities, Primitive Observance & "of the Recollection" & other communities that I would consider contemplative-active....

The Brigittine Nuns of the Primitive Observance (the Medieval Branch) are monasteries that can be traced to the first foundation of St. Bridget of Sweden and their habit consist of grey cowl.  They are originaly a "double order" of nuns and monks under the presidency of the Abbess.  A small community of monks are attached to the monastery of Nuns; the monks serves as the nuns chaplains.  The first monastery was founded in Vadstena, Sweden.  The monasteries under this branch has very few nuns.

The distinctive part of the Brigittine habit for the women of the Order is the metal crown which they wear called the "Crown of the Five Holy Wounds". It has five red stones, one at each joint, to remember the Five Wounds of Christ on the Cross. The monks wear a red cross with aEucharistic host at the center on the right breast of their cloak. The Order has its own proper Rite for the Canonical Hours, called the Office of Our Lady. - taken from Wikipedia

The Brigittine Nuns of the Recollection (the Spanish Branch) was founded by Marina de Escobar, a Spanish noble woman.  The order consists of nuns only.  Their habit consists of grey cloak or mantle - not cowl.  The monasteries of this branch has more vocations than the medieval branch.

The Brigittine Sisters who has a convent in the USA (the Spanish Branch) was founded by Bl. Elizabeth Hesselblad.  They are contemplative-active community.

graciandelamadrededios

I have some books about Brigittine Order provided by the Brigittine Nuns in Sweden and the monks from the USA.  One book is about a research on the Habit of the Brigittine Nuns and Monks and how the Brigittine Crown evolved.

What an interesting history!  Thank you so much for the links, Chiqui!  I wonder if the sisters have a vocation to a particular house--or are moved from convent to convent (depending on need)?  Let's get them included on a Nun Run!

Sorry for not seeing the March (2013) thread on the order!  I went through the Phatmass "Help" menu, but still can't figure out how to search for previously discussed topics.  :unsure:

Thanks Pia Jesu, for renewing this topic......as a new person to phatmass VS, I missed all the old topics too.  I remember seeing these nuns in Europe and did know that Padre Pio had a sister in the Briggitines, but I was unaware that there were any in the United States.  Interesting headpiece. 

What an interesting history!  Thank you so much for the links, Chiqui!  I wonder if the sisters have a vocation to a particular house--or are moved from convent to convent (depending on need)?  Let's get them included on a Nun Run!

They are moved from convent to convent, though I have no idea how often. In Assisi the Superior told me that some of their young Sisters had been in UK when I told her I saw a final profession video from there (not online anymore unfortunately) and recognized some of them. Many of the Sisters, perhaps most, are Indian.. well at least in Assisi. 

Edited by Chiquitunga

Welcome to Phatmass, Miserere55...love your posts!

Digressing a bit, another community offering Brigittine-style lodging (bed & breakfast rather than retreats per se) are the Benedictines of St. Emma's Monastery (Greensburg, PA).  They have the Robertshaw Country House up & running--with lots of guests!  Both communities seem to do very well with their ministry of hospitality.