An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It A Must For Nuns To Cut Their Hair

YoungDevout

For the community Im interested in, if Im not mistaken, I think nightgowns are preferred but i can wear pajamas too especially in winter to keep warm.  Id have to bring a robe as well, and although I didnt see anyone in their PJs Im guessing they wear some kind of head covering as well as a night scapular.  

As for hair mine is long, about half way down my back, and it'll stay long under the postulant veil.  It will probably be in a ponytail or bun or whatever works.  If I make it to receiving the habit then they cut it off and how it looks after is between me and God, and Sr barber!   I think the hair cutting and such is private but seeing how things go Im kind of hoping to ask permission for my own sister to make that symbolic cut...

Spem in alium
5 hours ago, Benedictus said:

I actually wear a themed onesie sometimes, just saying. I think I was the first in my community house, but maybe someone else is out there :smile4:

My superior once thought seriously about buying us all (eight of us) animal onesies. Unfortunately we didn't go there but I'm very tempted to get one for myself. My mum actually used to sleep in an elephant onesie but I think my dad asked her to stop --- too many times he'd wake up and see this giant elephant head. 

Edited by Spem in alium

dominicansoul

It was pretty necessary for me to shave my head.  I've got the thickest hair in the entire universe.  My veil kept popping off and could NOT have stayed on my head had I not cut it all off....

IgnatiusofLoyola
On 2/4/2016, 2:07:23, dominicansoul said:

It was pretty necessary for me to shave my head.  I've got the thickest hair in the entire universe.  My veil kept popping off and could NOT have stayed on my head had I not cut it all off....

You've talked a couple of times about shaving your hair off. However, as far as I know, the Communities you were a part of wore veils that showed a bit of hair at the front. What did you do about that?

Now I have an odd picture in my head of you having a shaved head except for some longer hair at the very front, so that when you wore your veil, your hair would look like the other Sisters. Knowing you, you would have called it "the Secret Dominican Tonsure." ;)

After the hair is cut during the novitate ceremony do you still get it cut every couple months?

Edited by John Paul

dominicansoul
13 hours ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

You've talked a couple of times about shaving your hair off. However, as far as I know, the Communities you were a part of wore veils that showed a bit of hair at the front. What did you do about that?

Now I have an odd picture in my head of you having a shaved head except for some longer hair at the very front, so that when you wore your veil, your hair would look like the other Sisters. Knowing you, you would have called it "the Secret Dominican Tonsure." ;)

I received a tonsure, without realizing i needed permission to do something like that.  The others in the novitiate who witnessed me getting a tonsure told others in the novitiate (cos they thought it was pretty cool i did that.)  St. Dominic is my spiritual father so I wanted a tonsure like his.  So I shaved my hair but the top, and put a little tonsure in there in his honor.  

When Sr. JA got a whiff of what happened, she and Mother approached me and asked if i had received a tonsure at my head shaving, and I said yes.  Their reactions were quite different than what I expected.  lol.  >.<

7 hours ago, John Paul said:

After the hair is cut during the novitate ceremony do you still get it cut every couple months?

in our community, we had a private bathroom just for hair cutting.  I'd shave mine with a bic razor every week, cos mine grew out pretty fast...

I can't believe I'm spilling all this out, I'm breaking the Dominican code!

5 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

I can't believe I'm spilling all this out, I'm breaking the Dominican code!

so youre breaking your own code! :bash:

dominicansoul

not only that but I'm forever scarred by that tonsure!

My hair has never been the same since...i have so many problems with the way it grew back in that area.... I hope St. Dominic is pleased! :P

dominicansoul
1 minute ago, coralieprincess said:

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but why did you need permission for a tonsure...?  Since your hair had to be cut anyway, why did you need permission for the way it was done?

It's kinda a big deal to get one's hair shaved after receiving the veil, and there's a specific way they asked me to have mine done and I didn't follow the specifics and went with what I wanted.  I could have it, I just needed to ask permission first.  I was always doing things without asking permission first....like the time I dragged a life-sized statue of Mary into my cell without telling anybody... lolololol but that's another story!

4 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

not only that but I'm forever scarred by that tonsure!

My hair has never been the same since...i have so many problems with the way it grew back in that area.... I hope St. Dominic is pleased! :P

he is only pleased if you dye it red

dominicansoul

omigosh, I just read the title of this thread!! I wasn't a NUN, so I don't even need to be in here answering this question.. lol!  I was a sister, something totally different!!!!! 

2 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

omigosh, I just read the title of this thread!! I wasn't a NUN, so I don't even need to be in here answering this question.. lol!  I was a sister, something totally different!!!!! 

learn to read thread titles :bash:

IgnatiusofLoyola
6 hours ago, vee said:

Vee--To prepare, you probably should start practicing hitting people with those Carmelite prayer benches. I am no expert on the practices of Carmelite Communities, but I doubt they use folding chairs. :P:P

7 hours ago, vee said:

Vee--To prepare, you probably should start practicing hitting people with those Carmelite prayer benches. I am no expert on the practices of Carmelite Communities, but I doubt they use folding chairs. :P:P