An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

Sounds good!    I'll probably update who is 'in' on Saturday -- I know several people have indicated interest on the 'Summer' thread, and I want to give them the chance to check in.   Kind of like Phounding Members..... ;)

You might have already finished a book or decided on a challenge by then -- just drop it in here if you wish..l or you can sneak up from behind like DTA... LOVE that M.O., DTA... suits you  ;) !   Kind of like...  :wedgie:

Wow! I almost missed this because I have not been on Phatmass recently!!

Finals are very soon, so I am not sure what will happen in the next two weeks with book reading.

The False Prince        by: Jennifer Nielsen      352  pgs

The Runaway King       by: Jennifer Nielsen     352   pgs

Both are quite good!

Among the Hidden     by: Margaret Peterson Haddix   153 pgs

I saw this on the shelf at the library and became nostalgic and had to read it again.

The last time I read it I was in fifth grade, I believe.

The Thirteenth Princess    by: Dianna Zahler    272 pgs

Good fairy tale, but it was different than I remembered it. The ending should have been a bit better.

So, I have been super busy with 17 credits and 2 jobs and everyone seems astonished that I am still finding time to read. However, I usually read when I am stressed and if I don't I get depressed. So, between stress and craziness of finals coming up I'm not sure whether my book reading will increase or decrease! We shall see!

Thanks AnneLine for starting this up! I'm excited now.

Oh, and I would like to declare a challenging book for myself. I have been trying to read it and keep putting it aside to read fiction instead. So, this advent I have to finish The Last Crusader by Louis De Wahl.

Well... we have had a few people check in!   Welcome Back!!!!   :welcome:  AND welcome to new readers!!!!!

Tell the others - we have a LOT of fun in here!!!!!!!

Comingback, we're happy to have you!  Just start with anything, and go for a 'special' book when that one is done.  

Chrysophlax, glad you are able to read with that kind of load.... I know you and DTA will give us a run for our glasses....

And Chrys.... I don't know what it is about The Last Crusader... I have tried and tried and tried to read it.   Best of success on your challenge!!!

And speaking of DTA/DeusTeAmat...   :doh:

I know Cartermia and xTriciaxLynnx and ContemporaryCatholicCrusader ("CCC") said they were interested on the SUmmer Thread.. .  AND maybe ChristinaTherese.... hopefully we'll hear from them soon!

READERS SO FAR: (in alphabetical order)

AnneLine

In Progress:

CHALLENGE BOOK:   Out of the Silent Planet, C.S. Lewis

Kaleidoscope, Dorothy Gilman (one of my favorite 'fun' authors, esp. the Nun in the Closet and the Mrs. Pollifax series!)

CarterMia

In Progress:

"I just went to the library and now I have a lot of books to read people!

Once this play is done (my school's play) I will be a reading machine again!"

CHALLENGE BOOK:  The Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ" by St. Alphonsus.  I am almost finished with it!!!!

ChristinaTherese

To Be Announced

Chrysophlax

The False Prince by Jennifer Nielsen, 352 pages

The Runaway King by Jennifer Nielsen, 352 pages

Among the Hidden by Margaret Petersen Haddix, 153 pages

The Thirteenth Princess by Dianna Zahler, 272 pages

In progress:

CHALLENGE BOOK:   The Last Crusader by Louis De Wahl

ComingBack

To Be Announced

ContemporaryCatholicCrusader

In progress:

Days of Future Past!

DeusTeAmat

Enigma by  Robert Harris, 384 pages

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult, 480 pages

Jaran by Kate Elliott, 496 pages

In progress:

Not telling!

EmilyAnn

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, 288 pages

In progress:

Dracula by Bram Stoker

NotThePhilospher

In Progress:

For the Life of the World, by Alexander Schmemann.
City of God by St. Augustine

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling (2nd time)

Readings for School (details tba)

CHALLENGE BOOK:   tba

Ploomf

In progress:

CHALLENGE BOOK:  Catholicism for Dummies

xTriciaxLynnx

In Progress:

"I've started a LOT of books that I've yet to finish."

Edited by AnneLine

xTrishaxLynnx

My challenge book should probably be The Confessions of St. Augustine. I've started it at least 3 times and never get past the first "book." And I never retain any of it, so I have to keep starting over. I don't know why, but it bores me. Sorry, St. Augustine...

I know someone who is also reading it, but in Latin. I should certainly be able to finish it in English before he finishes. That'll have to be my motivation, along with the double points in the contest.

Somebody please tell me it gets better...

Anneline!!!! Snow days mean read until your eyes hurt days (with hot cocoa of course)!!! I finished my challenge book (The Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ) and I will be getting (hopefully!) In the House of the Brede for Christmas.

The Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ- Saint Alphonsus de Liguori 486 pages

The Brightworking (The Brightstone Saga, Book 1)- Thompson 160 pages

The Fortune-Teller (The Brightstone Saga)- Thompson 160 pages

The Battle for the Brightstone (The Brightstone Saga, Book 3)- Thompson 176 pages
I am Alice- Delaney 448 pages
Lure of the Dead- Delaney 448 pages

Mind if I tag along? :)

WE LOVE having you join us!!!!   Do you have a book you want to use as a challenge?  Or are you going to just watch us read???

Either is fine, but we LOOOOVE having more people read!

My challenge book should probably be The Confessions of St. Augustine. I've started it at least 3 times and never get past the first "book." And I never retain any of it, so I have to keep starting over. I don't know why, but it bores me. Sorry, St. Augustine...

I know someone who is also reading it, but in Latin. I should certainly be able to finish it in English before he finishes. That'll have to be my motivation, along with the double points in the contest.

Somebody please tell me it gets better...

Ah, yes, the Confessions!   Read those as an undergrad MANY a year ago... that is an excellent Challenge!   Will add it to the list next update.   You're also welcome to read one or more others at the same time...  :)

Anneline!!!! Snow days mean read until your eyes hurt days (with hot cocoa of course)!!! I finished my challenge book (The Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ) and I will be getting (hopefully!) In the House of the Brede for Christmas.

The Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ- Saint Alphonsus de Liguori 486 pages

It is not ok to pour hot chocolate into your eyes, even on a Snow Day!   :eek: 

However, punctuating books with hot chocolate (in moderation) is highly encouraged!   :coffee:  :bible:  :coffee: 

Congrats on completing your FIRST Challenge book - worth double page count.   :winner: 

Do you want to designate another Challenge book? 

You may work on one challenge book at a time, but the number of total books is limitless... but you have to SPECIFY it.  :flex:

The Brightworking (The Brightstone Saga, Book 1)- Thompson 160 pages

The Fortune-Teller (The Brightstone Saga)- Thompson 160 pages

The Battle for the Brightstone (The Brightstone Saga, Book 3)- Thompson 176 pages
I am Alice- Delaney 448 pages
Lure of the Dead- Delaney 448 pages

:bananarap:    And..... she's off!   

All will be documented next update....

Well, because of hospital sitting I have finished:

My Life with the Saints, by James Martin 414 pages

A Place Apart by Basil Pennington 192 pages

My night reading for the past week (I could not put it down)

The Jesuit Guide to (Almost Everything) by James Martin , 406 pages.  I started it last Saturday, so I hope it counts. 

I wonder if I am a closet Jesuit.

For my challenge, I thought, "Ha, I'll read the Summa," since I've wanted to from forever and then looked at the Kindle sample pages and thought, "gaaaaa."  Does one have to understand what one reads or just read it LOL?

Noted and laughed over, ComingHome!!!!

Of course all 3 of those count - and someone read the Jesuit Guide last summer, and thought it was great!  It's on my 'get A Round Tuit list'  

I would hope you would understand what you read, but you definitely won't understand if you don't read it!  Having said that, maybe there is another book you might want to try as a challenge... we only have 2 months here!   Maybe a section of the Summa would work?  I think it is one of those things with a few books inside a tome.   I know we have Phatmassers who love St. Thomas.... maybe one of them could suggest a good section to start with or a good intro that you could use as a challenge this time... and then keep plugging at it!

I'm impressed, however!!!

Rise, Let Us be on Our Way by Blessed (soon to be saint!!!) John Paul II will be my challenge book. I tried reading it during Lent, since I gave up fiction, but I was pre-occupied by the James Herriot series. I will try to read Rise, Let Us be on Our Way before my next challenge book (if I get it) In the House of Brede

Noted and laughed over, ComingHome!!!!

Of course all 3 of those count - and someone read the Jesuit Guide last summer, and thought it was great!  It's on my 'get A Round Tuit list'  

I would hope you would understand what you read, but you definitely won't understand if you don't read it!  Having said that, maybe there is another book you might want to try as a challenge... we only have 2 months here!   Maybe a section of the Summa would work?  I think it is one of those things with a few books inside a tome.   I know we have Phatmassers who love St. Thomas.... maybe one of them could suggest a good section to start with or a good intro that you could use as a challenge this time... and then keep plugging at it!

I'm impressed, however!!!

I'm not a total nerd, though.  I am also avidly reading Nora Roberts' Dark Witch.