An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carthusian Monkhood

ClemensBruno

Marie Villalovos Smith

http://transfiguration.chartreux.org/   This the only Carthusian monastery that I am aware of in the US.

The web site has a lot of information.

CHARTERHOUSE OF THE TRANSFIGURATION
CARTHUSIAN MONASTERY
1084 AVE MARIA WAY
ARLINGTON, VERMONT 05250 USA

Communication by fax is preferred. Thank you. 

Fax: (802) 362-3584 

Pax

Indwelling Trinity

A good source for information about Carthusiam life can be found at the IFSB@yahoo.com. It exists both in cyber world and in the real world,

Some of the Board members on the list were former Carthusian monks. In addition there is  a treasury of Carthusian Documents in the archives  shedding much light on the order. I have stayed at the Charterhouse of the Transfiguration in Vermont. The monks spoke to each other in the vernacular when they needed to convey a message. For us Mass was said in the vernacular but according to the Carthusian rite.

Dom Lorenzo The Father Prior as well as one or two of the brothers we were allowed to speak too,I found to be very gentle, well discilplined and warm and cordial hosts.  They have a guest chapel  where all could hear mass but  only the men in our group of board members were allowed to attend night office with the monks at the monastery.

I must say I came away very edified by the visit. No pretenses, just a gentle open hospitality within the bounds of their rule.  I wish you well in your vocational discernment and keep you in my prayer.

Indwelling Trinity : :paperbag:  carmelite hermit

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

Oh, one more thing. I found it amusing that you had been criticised for being "too social." I hae had endless problems either with people pretending to be friends with me and then they say "i just wanted to help you out of your shell." or with fixers that demand that I come out of my shell or knock down my walls or come out of my comfort zone or whatever the latest platitude is. I am the introvert's introvert and I am sick of people who tell me that my introversion needs to be "cured." It doesn't need to be cured.

I am still volunteering at OLG in Pecos. My one-year term expires in March so next month the prior and I are going to figure out what to do with me.  I might join. There have been a lot of positive changes here over the last 10 months. Then again I might just stay a volunteer. We will see. I am happy eiher way. I have no debts no dependents and all my worldly possessions fit in two suitcases a computer bag and a carry on bag.

I am still volunteering at OLG in Pecos. My one-year term expires in March so next month the prior and I are going to figure out what to do with me. I might join. There have been a lot of positive changes here over the last 10 months. Then again I might just stay a volunteer. We will see. I am happy eiher way. I have no debts no dependents and all my worldly possessions fit in two suitcases a computer bag and a carry on bag.

I'm glad it is progressing well!

• 1 month later...

I looked into the Carthusians, and did wonder whether it was possible I was called to them. But it didn't feel right for me and I was pulled in other directions. There is a Carthusian house in North America.   My understanding is that you have to apply to your local Chaterhouse, unless one is not in your country or there are language considerations.

In some respects I wouldn't get that concerned about having a certain type of personality or temperament, although this is important. I think trying it and seeing if you can last is the only real way of really knowing for sure, and different types of people seem to be called.

I would also, just in case you didn't know about them, mention New Camaldoli and the Camaldolese.. They have a similar charism to the Carthusians, the latter being closer whilst the former being a bit more communal.

Edited by Benedictus

• 1 month later...
ClemensBruno

Greetings, All. Thanks again for all your prayers on my behalf.

Please forgive my lengthy absence from phatmass. I needed to "go to the desert" to focus on discernment in solitude and silence. Social media was becoming a major distraction for me, and a procrastination tool for preventing my giving due diligence to the discernment process.

I am happy to report that the Holy Spirit has guided me through much progress since my last post. Starting May 6th, I will embark on week-long visits to hermitages/charterhouses. The list of places is quite brief but most assuredly well-researched, and my time in deep prayer and reflection--as well as invaluable guidance from my spiritual director and friends in consecrated life--has given me a sense of clear purpose in preparation for these visits.

My sincere apologies for not revealing greater detail on this update, Out of an abundance of caution, I wish to remain anonymous in this very public and easily searchable forum.

If I may impose on you further . . . I hope you will continue to pray for me to fulfil His Will and not my own.

Your brother in Christ,
ClemensBruno

ClemensBruno,

I am very glad that you are contacting charterhouses, specifically the (only) one in Vermont, It is small, and the only one in the US.  I don't know if you are "required" to enter the one in your country and whose language you speak--or not.  Anyway, you appear from your previous posts to be eager to talk with former Carthusians, read books and watch movies about Carthusians--but not to take all of your questions to  the Superior or Novice Master of the Charterhouse in question.   I think that the latter is the best approach, and am glad that you are pursuing this.  I am certain that those Carthusians who interact with enquirers have heard everything and will respond fully, appropriately and with good humor.

Swami Mommy

ClemensBruno, how wonderful for you that you were raised with the importance of developing and maintaining a spiritual life. That is rather rare today, I think. I don't know any Carthusians but perhaps you could write to the author of the book you have mentioned to see whether she has any contact with the monks she interviewed. I envy you for your vocational inclinations. They are a great gift of grace and bespeak your own interior recollection and longing for the Divine. May you be blessed to find your place in a Carthusian monastery.

petitpèlerin

My spiritual director, who is a brother in a semi-active community, loves the Carthusians. When he was first looking into religious life he applied to the Carthusians but was turned away due to his age. He still regrets that.

I adore the Carthusians, too. For a while I thought the Sisters of Bethlehem were the perfect community for me but I spent some time visiting them while I was in France and discerned otherwise. (No problems with them, I really love them, I just realized that it wasn't quite the right fit for me.) Same with a good friend of mine: she loves their life and spirituality so much, but when I finally had the opportunity to ask her if she thought she could have a vocation with them, she smiled and said "no, if I really did feel that way I wouldn't make such a big fuss about them".

Sorry I don't know any present or former Carthusians, I wonder if there aren't many around because the order is so good that the ones who make vows actually have true vocations to it and thrive and stay. Well, I just wanted to share my love for the order and for Saint Bruno. Prayers for you while you make your visits this week.

• 4 months later...

I am curious if there are any former Carthusian aspirants, postulants, novices, and monks in this phorum who would be willing to provide me with their perspective and advice on becoming a Carthusian.

Some background: I just discovered and joined this phorum today. God has been calling me to the contemplative life since before my teenage years. Throughout primary education, high school, college, and my professional career, I have been reluctant to answer in the affirmative. Until early this year, responding to his call has been a deep, constant, and private struggle for me. When I finally said, "Yes, Lord," while on a long retreat several months ago, I have been aware of a profound inner sense of peace that had been absent previously for years, unbeknownst to me.

Since then, I have been working toward a graceful transition to life as a Trappist, the Order I long assumed to be in my future. But, then, a few weeks ago, I "discovered" the Carthusians online whose purpose and practices align almost perfectly with my own expectations and predilections for a life of prayer.

I have spent the past few weeks scouring the internet for all things Carthusian, and have now exhausted all virtual resources. I have already begun correspondence with a charterhouse about my vocation. However, I have a few lingering questions for any ex-Carthusian willing to oblige me, such as: On the rare occasions that require verbal communication, is Latin the preferred language in all charterhouses worldwide?

With gratitude for your attention to my cause,
Your Brother in Christ