An Old School Catholic Message Board

Beating A Cold

i<3franciscans

i<3franciscans

Hey y'all,

I've been sick for weeks and can't seem to get over whatever I have. I have been coughing and sneezing for three weeks and an aching back started to kick in yesterday. Any thoughts or ideas to put me out of my misery? Thanks.

Ash Wednesday

I got a cold before I flew to the U.S. for Thanksgiving. I was OK for Thanksgiving, then got a cold when I returned. Got over that, enjoyed a few days of kind of feeling normal and then just got another cold again, over Christmas.

I'm happy to hear tips on beating a cold, I'm actually looking for my brass knuckles and a dead horse at this point.

Ash Wednesday

Is it possible that you have winter allergies? My aunt had a cough that she couldn't get rid of and it turned out her air filter wasn't working and it went away when she got it fixed, she has indoor allergies (dust mites).

Of course if you have a fever I'd suggest seeing a doctor if possible. Right now I'm trying to take vitamin C. I exercise a lot, which is supposed to help with immune system but it hasn't helped lately. :censored:

Not sure if this will work for you or not... but it sometimes has helped for me.

Lots and lots and lots of water - hot if possible

Lots and lots and lots of rest.... (easier said than done, but it does help)

Deep breathing exercises ('yoga breathing' kinds of things... you want to try to fill your lungs all the way to the bottom, hold it, and then breathe out SLOWLY through your mouth.... you need to get the lungs working all the way down, not just the top part, if you want to get this stuff shoved out.....

Honey and Lemon (and a little sage if you have any) really does help if you have problems with your throat....

AND... my absolute favorite...  combination won ton soup... or hot and sour soup.... there is something about the Chinese soup that just helps.  OR Greek lemon and egg soup.

Yup.

But if it really isn't going away, or if it keeps coming back.... check in with the doctor because you could have a secondary infection or some bronchitis, or asthma, or whatever along WITH the cold.

FEEL BETTER!!!!!!

i<3franciscans

Not sure if this will work for you or not... but it sometimes has helped for me.

Lots and lots and lots of water - hot if possible

Lots and lots and lots of rest.... (easier said than done, but it does help)

Deep breathing exercises ('yoga breathing' kinds of things... you want to try to fill your lungs all the way to the bottom, hold it, and then breathe out SLOWLY through your mouth.... you need to get the lungs working all the way down, not just the top part, if you want to get this stuff shoved out.....

Honey and Lemon (and a little sage if you have any) really does help if you have problems with your throat....

AND... my absolute favorite...  combination won ton soup... or hot and sour soup.... there is something about the Chinese soup that just helps.  OR Greek lemon and egg soup.

Yup.

But if it really isn't going away, or if it keeps coming back.... check in with the doctor because you could have a secondary infection or some bronchitis, or asthma, or whatever along WITH the cold.

FEEL BETTER!!!!!!

Just took some allergy medicine a half hour a go. Gonna try a couple of these tonight. Thank you! :flowers:

Edited by i<3franciscans

Benedryl will also help you sleep. I second the long lasting infection may have a secondary infection or may need an antibiotic idea and thus a doctor visit is something to watch for.

Chrysanthimum tea is antimicrobial.

If you take vitamin E with your C, it might help based on something I read a while ago.

Eating your vitamin C is the best.

Spicy will help clear your nose.

There is Cough Off tea, Throat Coat tea, echniacia tea, and for lungs liquorice helps and is a separate tea or in a medicinal tea (like the first two I mentioned).

Alive and Ibuprophen are best for sinus headaches because they are anti-inflammatory painkillers, unlike Tylenol.

If it feels like the aching back is like a flu ache, might see the doctor.

As a medical provider, I can share that:

Flu is more sudden...it doesn't come on gradually. Achiness that takes a while to occur, especially when accompanied by a lot of coughing, can be viral, or bronchitis. Coughing is usually the last symptom to go, often taking a month or so to go away. Sneezing is often allergies or a cold, although I don't know where you live. If you have a fever that's usually a sign that it's bacterial, so if that occurs I'd seek advice from your primary provider.

HisChildForever

- Lots of lemon water

- Lots of orange juice

- Fresh air

- Halls Vitamin C Defense

- A ton of sleep

- Hot showers

- Avoid stress the best you can