An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rsms Of Alma In England

beatitude

A tidbit for my fellow Europeans...last month the Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma opened a house in the UK, in the Diocese of Lancaster (up north, and a very beautiful place it is too - not that I'm biased or anything, what with having been born there ;) ). Two sisters have arrived and will be serving on the chaplaincy team at Lancaster University.

http://www.rsmofalma.org/

Edited by beatitude

IgnatiusofLoyola

Wonderful news! We need more of some of those active communities to spread here...they are very needed!

I also read recently that the Nashville Dominicans are planning to send four(?) sisters to Scotland to run a teaching mission there.

How wonderful! The more communities of active religous in the U.K. the better.

Not to forget that all the active Communities already in the U.K. need our prayers for growth in vocations.

The Nashville Dominicans are already there. :)

Not to forget that all the active Communities already in the U.K. need our prayers for growth in vocations.

I agree. This is important. I also don't think we should underestimate the cultural differences between the USA and the UK - one American sister who came over with a new community announced that she felt as if she were coming to 'pagan Britain', and to my British ears that sounds brash, arrogant, and hurtful, when really she probably didn't mean it that way at all. I pray for the new communities in the UK, but also for our old ones, and for all the sisters to do Christ's work here.

Great news! The more the merrier, or better.

Oh, and the Nashies have their house in Elgin, in Scotland.

Edited by maximillion

Sr Mary Catharine OP

The Nashville Dominicans are already there. :)

I agree. This is important. I also don't think we should underestimate the cultural differences between the USA and the UK - one American sister who came over with a new community announced that she felt as if she were coming to 'pagan Britain', and to my British ears that sounds brash, arrogant, and hurtful, when really she probably didn't mean it that way at all. I pray for the new communities in the UK, but also for our old ones, and for all the sisters to do Christ's work here.

The cultural differences are probably just as much from our side of the pond but I suspect that because of the US being a "melting pot" we're a little less bothered by them. There are even cultural differences within the regions of the US that are quite marked and even Canada and the US. Canadians get very offended if someone mistakes them for US Americans and have found it quite funny to hear our Canadian sister tell US a story about how terrible it was in Europe that someone thought she was from the USA. She wasn't meaning to be derogatory at all and I could tell it never hit her that she was telling this story to Americans in the US!

These things are really only small and just know that Americans as a whole think that the UK is "cool". As one of our English Dominican friars said to me, "Face it, Sister, you just want to come back to Mother!" :hehe2:

• 2 years later...

Just to update this thread, the RSM have closed their foundation in London.  From what I gathered, they had met the need they had originally come to address.  The good news is that they have opened a new convent in Scotland; one of their sisters will be the director of faith formation in one of diocese.

I'm glad to hear all of this good news. But I really really wish our bishop in our stagnating diocese would invite some religious. We need their witness, their energy and their prayers.

3 hours ago, katherineH said:

Just to update this thread, the RSM have closed their foundation in London.  From what I gathered, they had met the need they had originally come to address.  The good news is that they have opened a new convent in Scotland; one of their sisters will be the director of faith formation in one of diocese.

The convent they opened in England was in the Diocese of Lancaster, which is only an hour away from Scotland by car, so they haven't gone far. We're a small island. :)

A Yearning Heart

We have had a group in Sydney, Australia for the last 6 or so years (I'm not sure, but they have been here a while).