An Old School Catholic Message Board

Was Macht Der Fuchs Sagan?

cartermia

No, we visited the Capitol building, holocaust museum, the national shrine ( I'll write more on this later), and walked around the national mall. I am on my iPod right now at my aunt's house having a "thank you note" party. We are trying to get them written from Granddaddy's funeral.

I got back around 7 in the morning today. It was a long night ride. Someone puked on the bus around 1 am and it just got worse from that! I had to sit in front of Fr. B and he was grumpy and I had to sit next to a guy who has some bad BO... I put on hand lotion and just kept my hands next to my nose. The heat went off on the bus, etc...

The trip was great in total though!!!

Not A Mallard

Sweet!  I confused the National Mall for the Smithsonian.

I've been on the March for Life a couple of times, though I couldn't go the last couple of years.  When we walked around the National Mall during the first trip, we got to the Lincoln Memorial, and somebody mentioned that his hands are sign language for something.  I think it's "paper" and "rock."

Uhh, I have never heard that before. I will have to go do some googling.

So I said that I would write more on the National Shrine when I got home and now I am home with my laptop so I shall tell what happened:

The gift shop was about to close when we got to the shrine so I ran in and while I was there my group left me... I saw one of our chaperones in the gift shop so I waited and then we went up to the upper part of the shrine. While we were walking I started to hear beautiful, but soft, (probably about 100 times prettier than what I see at the Vatican when I watch EWTN masses with Pope Francis) organ playing. I asked the chaperone if she heard it and she said no. As we neared the Adoration chapel the playing got louder. I went and said a brief prayer (way to short... :( ) but after I came out of the chapel we saw Fr. B walking around giving some of the group a tour; we went and joined him. I learned some stuff but I mainly listened to the music...

Father pulled me aside later and asked if I was okay because I looked really distracted. I told him that I would talk to him later and asked if I could go light a candle. He let me and I tried to find a candle in front of St. Joseph so I could light it for my family but I couldn't find St. Joseph at all! I did find Our Lady of Sorrows though (who I have a huge devotion to... :blush: ) and light and candle there. I thought that she knew the pain that my family was going through as well as anyone right now.

Okay so with the music thing, I have had another experience like this before but that was at a retreat when I was in adoration for more than an hour and it was like three in the morning and it sounded like chanting. My cousin said that she didn't hear anything so I just thought I was going crazy. I don't know. :shrug:   

J.M.+J.T.

While we were walking I started to hear beautiful, but soft, (probably about 100 times prettier than what I see at the Vatican when I watch EWTN masses with Pope Francis) organ playing. I asked the chaperone if she heard it and she said no. As we neared the Adoration chapel the playing got louder. I went and said a brief prayer (way to short... :( ) I learned some stuff but I mainly listened to the music...

Okay so with the music thing, I have had another experience like this before but that was at a retreat when I was in adoration for more than an hour and it was like three in the morning and it sounded like chanting. My cousin said that she didn't hear anything so I just thought I was going crazy. I don't know. :shrug:   

Oh! This is like something that happened with Saint Therese. I will look for the passage. :like:

J.M.+J.T.

Here it is! From "The Story Of A Soul" by Saint Therese of Lisieux in Chapter 10 - The Way of Love. Maybe she will help you find insight to your music. :like:

"I remember one act of charity inspired by God when I was still a novice. It did not seem much, but our Heavenly Father, " who seeth in secret , " has rewarded me already in this life without my having to wait for the next. It was before Sister St. Peter became a complete invalid. At ten to six every evening, someone had to go out from meditation to take her along to the refectory. It cost me a lot to offer my services because I knew how difficult she was to please, almost impossible, but it was a wonderful chance, and I did not want to miss it. I remembered the words of Our Lord: " As long as you did it to one of these My brethren , you did it to Me . " ( Matt . 25:40).

So, very humbly I offered to help her, and after a lot of trouble, she was prevailed upon to accept me. I set about my task with so much good will that in the end I succeeded completely. Every evening, when I saw her shaking her hourglass about, I knew that she meant: "Let us go." Summoning up all my courage, I got up, and then a real ceremony began Her stool had to be moved; it must be carried just so ; one must not go too quickly. At last we set off.

I had to go behind her and support her by her belt, and I used to do this as gently as I possibly could; but if by some mischance she chanced to stumble, she thought I was not holding her properly, she was going to fall over: "My goodness! you are going much too fast. I shall hurt myself." I try to go more slowly: "Why don't you keep up with me? I don't feel your hand. You are letting me go. I shall fall over! How right I was when I said you were much too young to look after me!"

At last we arrived at the refectory without any more mishaps. Then there was more trouble! She had to be maneuvered into her place very skillfully so as not to be hurt in any way; her sleeves must be rolled back, again just so ; then I could go.

It was not long before I noticed that she could not cut her bread very easily, so I used to do that too before finally leaving her. As she had never told me she wanted me to do it, she was touched, and it was this unlooked-for act of kindness which won her heart completely; though I learned later that what touched her most of all was the fact that when I had done all I could, I always gave her, so she said, my "very best smile."

That was all a long time ago, Mother, yet Our Lord allows the memory to linger in all its fragrance, like a breath from Heaven.

I was carrying out my usual task one winter evening; it was cold and dark. Suddenly, far away, from some distant orchestra, there came the sound of music. I seemed to see a richly furnished room, all bright with lights and resplendent, where young ladies, beautifully dressed, exchanged the countless courtesies of society life. My eyes turned back to the poor invalid I was helping. In place of the music, plaintive groans from time to time; in place of the resplendent room, nothing but the cloister walls, austere, scarcely visible in the flickering light. The contrast softly touched my soul. Our Lord poured in the light of truth, which shines far brighter than the shadowy light of earthly pleasures. I would not exchange the ten minutes spent upon my act of charity for a thousand years of such worldly delights."

Edited by Charbel

The funny thing is that I was trying to find her statue to light a candle in front of it for myself... I never found it though :( St. Therese has become one of my saints that I look up to, I have read some of her Story of the Soul and had read that passage. I hadn't even thought about that passage when I was trying to find some explanation to this. I shall pray to her and see if I find anything out.

So today is my Governor's Cup District Academic Meet. It started snowing last night and as I was getting ready to walk out the door my coach called and said we had a two hour delay. I wish he had called sooner! Now I am all ready and laying on the couch...

I have finished this quilt top! Granddaddy helped me come up with the pattern. I needed some help with the pattern and grandma wasn't around so I just asked Granddaddy. This is what we came up with.

School today... And biology class is so boring! At least tomorrow I get to skip and go to Mass with the Bishop for Catholic School's Week. I don't have to go school at all tomorrow!!! :dance:

Okay so I did end up going to my last class but that was religion so it was okay. We had Fr. B today (we have him everyday so Fr. J can have a break) and he was tired after going to the Cathedral so he let us have a free day. He brought his pup over from the rectory and it came right up to me (out of the 17 in my class) and just sat down at my feet. She put her front paws on my lap seeming to ask if she could get on my lap so I let her. She stayed there for the 55 minute class period. Fr. B after class just looked at me and the dog and shuck his head. Animals like me, what can I say?!? :p

Animals seem to know stuff so what does this mean? :idontknow:

Now it is time to write several papers that are due tomorrow!

Yup, no rest for the wicked as my grandmother would say.

I am going to start learning two hymns for the piano a week so I do not fall behind in my lessons. I have recently been thinking about studying liturgical music in college (maybe majoring or minoring in it) so I need to start studying! I have also thought about either doing theology or philosophy (I like them both!!!) but I will see what happens, I cannot plan my whole life can I? :p