An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cistercian Solemn Vows!

Pia Jesu

The Cistercian nuns of Prairie du Sac have posted photos of the Solemn Profession of Sr. Christina Marie!  Click on: http://www.nunocist.org  and scroll down to "News" at the bottom of the page.  You'll

have to scroll a bit to the right to view subsequent pages.

This is a beautiful community...planning to build a new monastery in Wisconsin.  Please pray for this endeavor and for many blessings on Sr. Christina Marie and her family!

Pia Jesus - Wow!  Those pictures of the solemn profession are beautiful.  Sr. Christina Marie looks like an angel in the pictures!

graciandelamadrededios

wpdab5abd6.jpg

So this is how the prostration on knuckles looks like!  Thanks a lot Pia Jesu!  God Bless you!

+Gracian...yes, I noticed the prostration on the knuckles, too, and hoped it was done to gather up the Cistercian cuculla or choir robe before she lay prone on the floor!  Sr. Christina Marie's vocation is, indeed, a gift beyond words...and it was wonderful to see the last page of photos of her visit with family and friends.  The order takes an additional vow of conversion or fidelity to monastic life.  And although this involves the discipline of maintaining an atmosphere of silence, being allowed to embrace loved ones--outside of a

grill or grating--seemed to make her day complete! 

Please know that the nuns have an incredible craftshop (in addition to the host department).  They make beautiful rosaries, chaplets,

niners, chotkis, printed cards, and other treasures.  Their line of Terranatus rosaries & chaplets are handmade of natural materials

--and come with a blessing!  Again, you can use the link http://www.nonocist.org and scroll down to Monastery Crafts!

graciandelamadrededios

Hello Pia Jesu!

Prostration on the knuckles is a Cistercian Custom which was stipulated in the Directory of the OCSO Nuns before Vatican II.  I have read this custom a while back and I could not figure it out how it looks like or how it was done.  Thanks to you, I know now.

This custom was adopted by one of our indigenous cloistered nuns in the Philippines.

I appreciate your notifying us of Sr. Christina Marie's solemn profession since it has a lot of beautiful photos.

Sincerely,

Gracian of the Mother of God

Thank you so much for sharing this! Beautiful pictures! :heart: They receive the black veil at Solemn Profession like Discalced Carmelites. I like it done this way, as the black then seems to symbolize better "until death"

TheresaThoma

Absolutely beautiful pictures! I was briefly in contact with this community but discerned I was not called to cloistered life. It is nice to see updates as they are a wonderful community. It also looks like they have a postulant and a simple professed (white veil, but black scapular)!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Thank you so much for sharing this! Beautiful pictures! :heart: They receive the black veil at Solemn Profession like Discalced Carmelites. I like it done this way, as the black then seems to symbolize better "until death"

After 1917 a lot of orders had to decide what to do with having simple and solemn profession. So, some did this, giving the black veil at Solemn Profession. Many OSB houses give the black veil at simple profession and then a longer veil at Solemn Profession.

The veil wasn't part of the clothing ceremony of the Dominican nuns until the 15th century. It was just taken for granted that nuns wore veils and I don't think there was a white veil to black veil transition, either.

We now receive the black veil at first profession because we consider our anniversary of profession starting from that date. Then we have the solemn imposition of the veil at Solemn Profession.

Thank you for sharing these lovely photos of the Solemn Profession of Sr Christina Marie....................she is so beautiful and  looks so happy.

I had a question about the veil.  I recently watched the HBO special on Mother Dolores Hart and one sister interviewed said she had been in the community for 10 years - yet she wore a white veil.  Does anyone know why?

WONDERFUL pictures! Thank you very much! 

This young nun is so radiant that it looks like she is not accepted into a community but to Heaven. :)

I had a question about the veil.  I recently watched the HBO special on Mother Dolores Hart and one sister interviewed said she had been in the community for 10 years - yet she wore a white veil.  Does anyone know why?

Not knowing the actual scene, but during work many communities will have all the sisters wear a work veil and these are sometimes white or other colours.