An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jesus In Different Languages

Seven77

Happy Feast Day of the Most Holy Name of Jesus! Everything is contained in that name ”which is above every other name!” I like what the Catechism says the following paragraph:

2666 But the one name that contains everything is the one that the Son of God received in his incarnation: JESUS. The divine name may not be spoken by human lips, but by assuming our humanity The Word of God hands it over to us and we can invoke it: "Jesus," "YHWH saves."16 The name "Jesus" contains all: God and man and the whole economy of creation and salvation. To pray "Jesus" is to invoke him and to call him within us. His name is the only one that contains the presence it signifies. Jesus is the Risen One, and whoever invokes the name of Jesus is welcoming the Son of God who loved him and who gave himself up for him.

Today reminds me about a project that I've been putting off, an illustration of the name of Jesus in various languages and scripts. I've been pulling out text for all the many entries for Jesus in Wikipedia. My Mac is equipped with most of the main language fonts and I downloaded a few… but I still need to make sure that the characters are all appearing correctly.

So, I was wondering if anybody here can help me out with different translations for the name of Jesus, especially for languages with non-Roman characters…

How can we best help?

Good question…

Well, if you know a foreign language like say, Armenian or something, you could post a image of the name Jesus written in Armenian.  I guess I need folks to send me images of the name of Jesus, only for languages with non-Roman characters---- then, I I can confirm or add to what I already have. I think I have Hebrew, Arabic and Greek already down, and I'm pretty sure I have Hindi and I know I have Bengali. I could probably use a few less known European translations and these can be cut and paste or whatever.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...