An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Think This Is The Beginning Of A Beautiful Phriendship...

Ancilla Domini

Nice!   Don't forget to post that walking mileage as well... and your book counts.... then you REALLY will take home all the gold!

Ancilla Domini

Marine Sergeant Frank Praytor found an abandoned two-week old kitten in Korea in 1953. He called her "Miss Hap," because "she was born at the wrong place at the wrong time."

4999137802_b94d27e5df_z.jpg

*eyes tear up*

image.png?w=400&c=1

Edited by Ancilla Domini

Ancilla Domini

Does anyone here like Jerry Lewis? I know the response to him is either an "I love him to pieces!!!" or "I hate everything about him...get him out of my sight!" :hehe2: Really, though - there's got to be someone here who is as big a fan as I am. :P

Edited by Ancilla Domini

Spem in alium

Does anyone here like Jerry Lewis? I know the response to him is either an "I love him to pieces!!!" or "I hate everything about him...get him out of my sight!" :hehe2: Really, though - there's got to be someone here who is as big a fan as I am. :P

And a third response - I'm ambivalent. :P I haven't seen enough of his work to have that strong an opinion. :)

• 1 month later...
Ancilla Domini

You never know what to expect as a phatmasser...

Gotta say: I am in awe of the fact that dUSt managed to recover ALL my information after my profile was deleted. How did you even do that?

d8d9759d79f476d9249a1ec44a2d1436dd5a124c

• 5 weeks later...
Ancilla Domini

A little gem of an article by P.G. Wodehouse:

One of the disadvantages you fellows have who live in England and don't see the New York papers regularly is that you miss a lot of interesting stuff. I don't suppose, for instance, that any of you have been able to follow the Fooshe-Harris case, have you? It culminated in the headline in the press:

WOMAN WHO CAME TO DINNER DEPARTS AFTER 11-YEAR STAY

and the ensuing brief announcement:

St Louis, April 30. Mrs. Eleanor Elaine Lee Harris, who stretched a dinner invitation into an eleven-year stay at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Fuller Fooshe of this city, packed up and departed today on a judge's order. The Fooshes, who are now separated, joined in the eviction suit against her.

Now one can understand that correspondence which has been going on so long between Worried (St Louis) and Loretta Biggs Tuttle, the well-known adviser on social etiquette whose column is so widely sindicated.

October 10, 1947

Dear Lorretta Biggs Tuttle, --

I am hoping that you will be able to tell me what to do in a case like this, for I have no mother to advise me.

Here are the facts very briefly. On April 14, 1944, I was invited to dinner by some friends of mine...well, I suppose they were more acquaintances at that time...and it was all most enjoyable. My host and hostess could not have been more charming. But now that I have been with them three years and six months, something seems to have happened. Their manner has changed. I do my best to be bright and entertaining, and have even gone to the trouble of learning a few simple card tricks, but they keep falling into long silences and Mr. F., my host, groans a good deal. Do you think that without knowing it I can have done something to offend them?

You must not be so sensitive, Worried. We are all a little inclined to be diffident and to think ourselves responsible when some trifling thing goes wrong. There are a hundred reasons why Mr. F. should groan...high taxation, increased cost of living, heavy day at the office, and so on. As for the long silences, so many people go into long silences these days. All this Yogi meditation stuff, you know.

August 3, 1952

Dear Loretta Biggs Tuttle, --

I am sure there is something wrong. Mrs. F. has not spoken to me since 1949, and Mr. F. is still groaning. He seems to have aged a good deal, and I am afraid his memory is failing him. This afternoon a friend of his called, and when introducing me he said: "Shake hands with Mrs. Barnacle-Limpet." I thought it so odd, because after more than eight years, he   must      know what my name is.

You must not let your imaginatio run away with you, Worried. Mr. F.'s little slip is so easily explained. His mind was on his work and he was thinking of the representative of some English firm with which he is doing business. Barnacle-Limpet is obviously an English name like Knatchbull-Hugessen or Binks-Binks-Binks. May I say in passing what a pleasure it is to me to learn that you are still visiting the F.'s. So difficult to find an apartment nowadays. If Mr F. seems to have aged, surely that is quite natural. We none of us get younger.

April 15, 1954

So you have been with the F,'s ten years, Worried! How the time does fly, does it not? Yes, I suppose, as you say, it has been quite a long dinner party, but I am sure that the F.'s have enjoyed every minute of it. The bottle containing a sample of the arrowroot which Mr. F. so kindly brought to your room to help you sleep, and which you thought tasted kind of funny, has not yet reached me, but I will, of course, send it to the analyst, as you ask, the moment it arrives.

April 10, 1955

No, Worried, I see no reason for your suspicions. The man who you say attacked you in the street with a bludgeon was probably just some casual passer-by filling in time before lunch. I cannot agree with you when you call it odd that you should have seen him on the previous day in conversation with Mr. F., and that Mr. F. was giving him money. No doubt some old acquaintance of his who had fallen on evil times. To the rattlesnake you say you found in your bed I attach little importance. Do what you will, it is almost impossible to keep rattlesnakes from coming into the house.

May 1, 1955

You could knock me down with a feather, Worried! 'Judge's order' indeed! Is this our boasted American hospitality?! But cheer up, my poor Worried. I am sure that you will soon find someone else to put you up for the next few years. No, I am sorry, I am afraid I cannot break my rule of never giving correspondents my private address.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Ancilla Domini

I'm participating in an opera program! I'm singing two choruses, an aria, and a duet (all of them staged).

This is the duet I'm singing: It's gorgeous!

Ancilla Domini

You can sing in two voices at once? Impressive!

​I know, right? I'm pretty flippin' talented. :P

HopefulHeart

The Flower Duet is a lovely piece of music!

I don't listen to much opera, but I do like this piece: