An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tipping.....

TheLordsSouljah

Spem in alium

Not sure if I count as I'm in Aus myself, but I usually don't tip unless the food or service made an impression. I do know someone who, as a rule, tips 10% wherever he goes - even if the food is terrible. I think it varies here, but from my experience it does seem to be an expectation in some places in the US.

We have about an 8% to 9.5% tax on food in my area (some places have a 'local' tax on top of the state taxes... sigh), so one of the easiest ways to calculate right tip is to double the tax!  (and I either round up or down depending on quality of service, because I find it easier to balance whole numbers.  ;)  )

I very seldom get service so bad that I don't want to tip at all, but for really poor service I will take it down to 5-10%  That way their taxes are covered (see comments above and below re this) but they don't get any extra $$.   I agree with all that has been said above about the tipping of housekeeping (you can also leave it on a pillow), if someone helps move your luggage, and hairstylists, manicurists, etc.   You also would do it with cab drivers, tour group leaders, etc.

I agree that it would be a better option to have everyone paid a living wage/not have to tip... but at least this way one DOES have the option of paying a really nice tip for exceptional service.... and a minimal one to 'reward' substandard service.   It's not ideal, but little is on this fallen planet!!!!

AND I make it a point to tell someone who has done an exceptional job that I will be letting their supervisor know what they have done RIGHT and I follow through on that.   And when my mother-in-law was still well enough to go out, she was an absolute terror for any food servers... nothing was ever right, the food always was returned, etc.   I would make it a habit to 'go to the restroom' and station myself in an unobtrusive corner and gesture the wait person over to me (where MIL couldn't see me) and apologize for her behavior, let them know how impressed I was with how the person was handling her, point out that we got to take her home, and would not leave her behind for them (which always made them smile and sometimes giggle), and slip them a small additional tip if I could afford it -- or tell them I wished I could if I couldn't.   I know it made a huge difference for the people.

And as someone who worked as an employment counselor... it's pretty common for wait staff to be paid the minimum wage plus a share in tips --- which means that if you lower your tip because of a bad worker, ALL the workers get penalized.  Truly not fair, and I am not sure it is legal... but it is what happens.  AND many employers in my state (and perhaps it is required? consistent throughout the country?) are REQUIRED to withhold a percentage of the employees' wages for taxes... and so if you don't tip, they really get hit 2x.... Just something to keep in mind.  

NOT an easy minefield to navigate, is it Souljah?

Tipping is a nightmare at times.

In restaurants and other places it is pretty customary to tip 15-20%. It is ok to drop the amount if the service was bad. Keep in mind though the server only has control over certain things. Don't reduce your tip if it took forever for your food to come out. That is the kitchen's issue and there is pretty much nothing the server can do about it.

One other thing to keep in mind is in certain jobs (ie certain airport shuttles)you should not tip the worker, some employers don't allow their employees to accept tips. It is usually pretty clearly stated/posted if that is the case.

TheLordsSouljah

Those are some REALLY expensive burgers, if that's a 15% tip.  :sos:

If you go to a full-service restaurant, where the waiter/waitress comes to the table, takes your order, delivers you food, refills your coffee, takes care of your dishes, etc., you would tip about 15%. At a fast-food restaurant where you go to the counter and place your order and take care of your own dishes, no tip is expected.

I'm not aware of very many other times that the average person would be expected to offer a tip, but that depends on the services required; I rarely ask a professional to cut my hair, but when I do, I give them a couple bucks extra. Little things like that.

I like... so McDonalds n stuff don't count?

15-20% at a sit down restaurant, nothing at fast food. Unfortunately, a lot of employers in the U.S. don't follow federal law when it comes to waiters and waitresses.  Under federal law, the employer is supposed to make up any difference in tips between the $2 or so they're paid, and minimum wage.  Many, however, don't actually do that, so the servers really end up living on the tip money.   If you order pizza for delivery, it's in good form to tip the driver, because they often pay their own gas costs.  

So waiters/waitresses have to pay tax with their tips? I don't get it... we don't even talk about tax here... it all comes with the bill. Why you all so complicated??? :P

Hokay, so, tip for waiters/waitresses, some taxis, housekeeping and coffee guys. How do I know where to tip in those rare circumstances without being rude or being cheated? Just when people go out of their way to do a bit more, like if someone helped me buy clothes or something?

And coffee refills.... gee I wish we had those here! We don't get drink refills unless you pay for another drink, lol! I think that fact alone will make me tip :)

Basilisa Marie

I like... so McDonalds n stuff don't count?

So waiters/waitresses have to pay tax with their tips? I don't get it... we don't even talk about tax here... it all comes with the bill. Why you all so complicated??? :P

Hokay, so, tip for waiters/waitresses, some taxis, housekeeping and coffee guys. How do I know where to tip in those rare circumstances without being rude or being cheated? Just when people go out of their way to do a bit more, like if someone helped me buy clothes or something?

And coffee refills.... gee I wish we had those here! We don't get drink refills unless you pay for another drink, lol! I think that fact alone will make me tip :)

Yeah, McDonalds doesn't count.  Places where you sit down, a menu is handed to you, and someone takes your order count.

Oh, they pay tax on their tips when yearly income taxes are filed. They keep track of or estimate how many tips they got during the calendar year and pay taxes on it. 

If someone helps you buy clothes, like at a clothing store, you don't need to tip them with money, just ask thank them kindly. If you're feeling especially grateful (and adventurous) you can ask to speak with a manager and tell them that (name) was incredibly helpful to you.  But no, you don't tip them. You only tip at restaurants, and it's a nice thing to do for taxis and hotels. Those are the only tipping places you should run into when you're traveling. :) 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I'm glad your the americans, no body does it better because your the americans. lol. I hope tipping gets more popular in australia but i think it should be wage and tip, tipping probably improves the quality of service to some degree for most employees, but not all though some would just go 'Beh' i get a wage anyway but you just report there behaviour to the boss. On the whole bad service i think you shouldn't be to stingy on them because Gods sun shines on good and bad alike, just tip them and report them to the boss without them knowing, take note of all name badges, but don't scrooge them very important and very christian.

Oh and keep a few quaters in your pocket each day for the homeless beggers. Don't feel obliged to give to every begger though and give em a good word too with the quater " Jesus loves you."

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

If there is a place where you expect you will be visiting frequently and wish to be remembered, then Tip a little more. I have a regular Friday night dinner spot where I customarily tip 30%, My service went from good, to great, to phenomenal...When friends go with me they are AMAZED at the quality of service I get. I appreciate the waiters and I genuinely care for them all, I've shown them and so they show me how much they appreciate it. I've even had one experience where my service was actually quite sub par, but I could tell this waitress was just having a REALLY bad day. I had a small bill and tipped her like 200%, like $3.00 bill, paid with a $10, and keep the change. Every time I've come back since then I've just tipped normally, but she remembers and gives great service. The lesson, tipping is an art. become an artist.

Basilisa Marie

If there is a place where you expect you will be visiting frequently and wish to be remembered, then Tip a little more. I have a regular Friday night dinner spot where I customarily tip 30%, My service went from good, to great, to phenomenal...When friends go with me they are AMAZED at the quality of service I get. I appreciate the waiters and I genuinely care for them all, I've shown them and so they show me how much they appreciate it. I've even had one experience where my service was actually quite sub par, but I could tell this waitress was just having a REALLY bad day. I had a small bill and tipped her like 200%, like $3.00 bill, paid with a $10, and keep the change. Every time I've come back since then I've just tipped normally, but she remembers and gives great service. The lesson, tipping is an art. become an artist.

Seriously, if you have a favorite place and are a regular, giving great tips will give you wonderful service. I did this at my favorite hole-in-the-wall cafe, and I got all kinds of great service, got to be friendly with the staff, all kinds of stuff. Plus you know you're supporting other people, and that's cool. :)