An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Jesuit Pope

ithinkjesusiscool

ithinkjesusiscool

Pax!

I have two questions:
if the pope is a jesuit should we add SJ after his name (and his official name is)?

what happened to his relationship with the Jesuit order now that he became the pope?

I believe when one is consecrated a bishop he ceases being a part of any religious order in a canonical sense. So we do not add SJ to the pope, or any Jesuit bishop.
May be mistaken, but I think that is how it works.

I don't know about the Pope but I do know that in Boston the bishop signs his pastoral letters Cardinal Sean O'Malley, OFM Cap.  I think it is great to have a Franciscan bishop.  

Yes, the Pope is a Jesuit.  I don't know how he can stop being that.  His new name, Francis, reflects the greater duty entrusted to him as Christ's Vicar on Earth. He no longer belongs just to the Jesuits.  It wold not seem appropriate to keep the SJ.  I do not believe that the other religious popes did either.

I would be interested in what others say.

Aha! I have figured it out. I was partially right and partially wrong.

Can. 705 A religious raised to the episcopate remains a member of his institute but is subject only to the Roman Pontiff by virtue of the vow of obedience and is not bound by obligations which he himself prudently judges cannot be reconciled with his condition.