An Old School Catholic Message Board

Random Vocation Conversation

ThereseMaria

-(DominicaTherese) So a person doesn't necessarily have to date before visiting communities and getting in touch with vocation directors?

I personally never dated because I never wanted to. (Also, the only guy who seriously seemed interested in me was middle-aged and already married, but that's beside the point...) If you feel like you'd like to date a bit, go ahead and have some fun! But if you aren't interested, that's okay too. Don't worry what a Vocations Director will think. Just be yourself.

Personally, I'm kinda glad... I'm in love with Christ, and I want to put Him first in my life, I want to please Him. I know that at this point in my life, dating would most likely be counterproductive. (But that doesn't mean I have anything against people who date!!!) I have lots of time, so I just have to work hard to be a good person (with His help), and things will play out according to the plan God has for me...

I was just wondering... This may seem like an odd question, but... Most orders won't give you the boot due to a minor speech impediment, right.......? (That's probably a really stupid question, but I just want to be sure.)

If it is something that is important enough to bother you, I think it is important enough to bring up! I dread splashy fountains and ticking clocks, and I was worried that I would end up in a silent cloister with both of those things and I'd go insane. So I asked even though it was ridiculous. :rotfl:  They told me that there was a clock at the end of one hall that chimed every fifteen minutes; this was something that I felt I could live with. But if I hadn't asked, I'd still be worrying that I'd be tortured by ticking.

That's understandable, though... Ticking clocks can be absolutely the most annoying things ever!!!

I'm sorry, I was trying to compare my clock-terror with your concern that a community would not accept your speech impediment, but I don't think they made a very good comparison (I shouldn't be awake anymore...) What I was trying to say is, feel free to mention whatever you are concerned about to the community and don't worry about them automatically giving you the boot just because you might struggle with something.

Ok, perfect, thank you! I was just hearing about some stuff having to do with communities being picky and somewhat rude to people over small things, so I just wanted to get someone else's opinion on the matter. Thank you!

I think the communities that are rude about the "small things" are definitely in the minority. Be open and honest with them and if they say they can't accept you because of that then you know for sure God isn't calling you there and you can move on in your discernment.

PhuturePriest

I was just wondering... This may seem like an odd question, but... Most orders won't give you the boot due to a minor speech impediment, right.......? (That's probably a really stupid question, but I just want to be sure.)

Absolutely not! I know priests with stutters, lisps, and I know a holy seminarian who I would bet my money will become a priest one day who has a speech impediment that makes it to where he can only speak in his falsetto. Priests do a ton more public speaking than Sisters do, and they certainly have a lot more meetings and everyday interactions with them (Depending on the community, of course, but in general), so if those impediments don't stop them, yours won't stop you. When I was a kid, I had a terrible stutter, and I'll still sometimes have the random off day where speaking can be a bit of a pain, but every time I brought it up to seminary directors, priests, and religious, they all said it was no big deal whatsoever.

Edited by FuturePriest387

Thank you so much for the clarification on that! I didn't know for sure whether it would be a huge problem or not, I wasn't sure, but I just wanted to make sure. Thank you :) (In case you haven't noticed, I haven't had a lot of contact with religious, and am really trying to piece everything together right now... But I'm glad to know that the "rude" communities are the minority, and that my speech impediment won't be a huge issue...)

domenica_therese

-(DominicaTherese) So a person doesn't necessarily have to date before visiting communities and getting in touch with vocation directors?

Certainly not! Not any more than someone needs to visit convents before they can date.  :hehe2:

At first I just wasn't interested, and no one asked anyway, but at this point I don't think I emotionally could date because my heart would feel too divided. I think it is only a problem if you see it as a problem, and if you enter religious life with this regret that you missed out. Perhaps the vocations directress was just making sure that when I said "I've never dated anyone" it wasn't secretly a statement full of angsty, bitter regret. :P

Edited by domenica_therese

-(Domenica_Therese) I'm glad dating isn't a requirement... Of course it is good for some people (so they can experience different parts of life and such), but it's not always the best route for EVERYONE... Depending on the person and where they are in life, I'm sure it could cause a bit of a conflict of interests...

The most surprising thing about the convent? The gales of laughter that would occasionally sweep down the cloister from the community room. Just WHAT were those Professed actually getting up too.....?

Sorry little postulant, you'll have to wait a few years to find out.

Meanwhile, what about all the hilarity in the noviciate common room. Yes, what about that?

Well, I told my stepdad about my looking into becoming a nun... Didn't go as badly as I thought it would. Which is good. And I'm feeling rather peaceful now... SO I think I made the right decision in telling him. Of course, I still have a lot of time, so I didn't say I was becoming a nun for sure, just that I felt I might have a religious vocation, and that I was looking into it.