An Old School Catholic Message Board

Going Away Party

the171

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

all of my girlfriends have had parties before entering. usually just a backyard barbeque with burgers, beer, and volleyball/frisbee, etc. my one friend, her mom threw her a themed "bride of christ" bachelorette party so it was bridal themed but all cute nun themed things and games. Like instead of making a wedding dress out of toilet paper they made habits ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I think party is great idea.To spend last quality time with people who are important in your life.If i ever do anything similar any gift are out of the question but some donation to Church or monastery will be nice.But this decision is different from person to person so you should do what your heart tells you.

We're planning on having a crawfish boil for my graduation party. It'll just be tied in as an early "sending off" because I'll be gone all summer. Nothing big. Just lots of friends, family, dancing, and food! (Louisiana Saturday night!

We're planning on having a crawfish boil for my graduation party. It'll just be tied in as an early "sending off" because I'll be gone all summer. Nothing big. Just lots of friends, family, dancing, and food! (Louisiana Saturday night!

That sounds like absolute fun!  It also sounds very memorable.  I imagine you'll have a great time.  ;)

• 4 years later...
4 hours ago, AnnetteJohnson said:

I love to party! I like going to them and organizing them too. This is a great way to bring your friends together, discuss everything that happened in your life and hang out! I can advise you to read an article weddingforward.com/bachelor-party-ideas. There are ideas I was looking for my brother's bachelor party, but I think that they are suitable for any party.

You're a spammer Annette. Laaaame.

Regarding going away parties. I can see some people saying "no" because there is a decent chance a discerner doesn't enter permanently.  Postulancy/ novitiate is just to try the life but lay people dont always "get" that. They think it's like getting married and then are scandalized when the individual comes home 1 year into it. 

Not sure how much we should skip doing good things just because some may misunderstand.  I remember my parish had a small reception for me after a mass. It was nice. 

On 2/21/2014 at 3:12 PM, FutureSister2009 said:

Nope

Old thread. Wonder how you are. And if you said nope for the reason I outlined above

When I entered the convent, my cousin threw a 'shower' for me. Some family gave money gifts, others such items as I needed. (Do NOT give a donation to the community - some superior may give it to a priest for his anniversary...) There are plenty of expenses one might not expect. 

9 hours ago, gloriana35 said:

When I entered the convent, my cousin threw a 'shower' for me. Some family gave money gifts, others such items as I needed. (Do NOT give a donation to the community - some superior may give it to a priest for his anniversary...) There are plenty of expenses one might not expect. 

Peo tip: if you want to gift someone money, give them a check and write the purpose it is restricted to in the memo line. That way it has to go where you intended it, legally. When I was in we got a lot of donations restricted to Dairy Queen ice cream trips because one if the sisters moms knew about how to do this :smile2: