An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

One of the marks of spiritual maturity is the quiet confidence that God is in control - without the need to understand why He does what He does.
- Anonymous

Sometimes too there could be a sense that God has now taken control.

Daily Reflection

St Vincent de Paul Society

May 01, 2017

“Begin again today; what is lost must not cause dejection; what is gained will be lost if you do not begin afresh as if nothing had been done.”
– St. Elizabeth Ann Seton

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Not at the top of my game just now.  I fell over and saw my GP today.  Thankfully, no lasting damage has been done - I have a lower back injury from a car accident and hips and knees have degenerated due to age.   I have simply aggravated an existing injury meaning I am in more pain than the norm.  Living alone, it is difficult since I have meals to get, some housework anyway to be done and a garden to care for.  My doctor has temporarily increased pain medication until everything goes back to the norm.  If the increased pain persists, then an XRay and ultrasound will be done.

I am simply not in the best of moods at all.  Nothing quite like the Graced cure that is effected by contemplating the difficulties of others.

Deo Gratius

Laudate Dominum

Daily Reflection

St Vincent de Paul society

May 03, 2017

“It is well to suffer patiently

and await the hour of God in the most trying affairs.”
– St. Louise de Marillac

"O, ah! The awareness of emptiness brings forth a heart of compassion!"

Gary Snyder

Happy 87th birthday, Gary Snyder! The Pulitzer Prize winning writer and environmental activist was the inspiration for Japhy Ryder in Jack Kerouac's novel, The Dharma Bums.

Vincent's Quote of the Day

May 08, 2017

If the world takes something from us on the one hand, God will give us something on the other (VII:424).

Daily Reflection

May 08, 2017

“We should spend at least as much time in thanking God for His favors as we have in asking them.”
– St. Vincent de Paul

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places."

- Ernest Hemingway

6b0b5ce00c6dde0960649b69e53f720f

C.S. Lewis

Anyone can lead a “prayer-life”—that is, the sort of reasonable devotional life to which each is called by God. This only involves making a suitable rule and making up your mind to keep it however boring this may be. - Evelyn Underhill (1875-1941)

The Letters of Evelyn Underhill

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Daily Reflection

May 10, 2017

“A charitable word is all that is sometimes necessary to convert an obdurate heart. In like manner one bitter word is capable of afflicting a soul and plunging it into a sadness that may be most injurious.”

– St. Vincent de Paul

Saint Pio of Pietralcina "Padre Pio" (1887-1968), Capuchin
Letters 3,707 ; 2,70

"Whoever receives the one I send receives me"

Excerpt..................".................Always be thankful to God that you are a daughter of the Church, following that vast number of souls who have gone before us along this blessed way. Have a great deal of sympathy for all pastors, preachers and spiritual guides; they are to be found over all the earth... Pray for them to God, that in being  saved themselves they may become fruitful in winning salvation for souls.

Pray for the wicked as much as for the devout; pray for the Holy Father; pray for all the needs of the Church, both spiritual and temporal, since she is our mother. And offer a special prayer, too, for all those who work for the salvation of souls to the glory of the Father."  http://dailygospel.org/main.php?language=AM&module=commentary&localdate=20170511&id=4896

Catholic Catechism 257 258 The ultimate end of the whole divine economy is the entry of God's creatures into the perfect unity of the Blessed Trinity (Jn 17:21-23). But even now we are called to be a dwelling for the Most Holy Trinity: "If a man loves me", says the Lord, "he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him, and make our home with him" (Jn 14:23):

“O my God, Trinity whom I adore, help me forget myself entirely so to establish myself in you, unmovable and peaceful as if my soul were already in eternity. May nothing be able to trouble my peace or make me leave you, O my unchanging God, but may each minute bring me more deeply into your mystery! Grant my soul peace. Make it your heaven, your beloved dwelling and the place of your rest. May I never abandon you there, but may I be there, whole and entire, completely vigilant in my faith, entirely adoring, and wholly given over to your creative action.” (Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity)

God is thrust onward by his love, not attracted by our beauty. He comes even in moments when we have done everything wrong, when we have done nothing . . . even when we have sinned.

- Carlo Carretto, The God Who Comes 

http://shalomplace.com/index.html

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Today's Saint Quote

...and The Church "follows from the Scriptures"....

The Owl and the kitty cat-Cat

By Edward Lear 
I
The Owl and the kitty cat-cat went to sea
   In a beautiful pea-green boat,
They took some honey, and plenty of money,
   Wrapped up in a five-pound note.
The Owl looked up to the stars above,
   And sang to a small guitar,
"O lovely kitty cat! O kitty cat, my love,
    What a beautiful kitty cat you are,
         You are,
         You are!
What a beautiful kitty cat you are!"

II
kitty cat said to the Owl, "You elegant fowl!
   How charmingly sweet you sing!
O let us be married! too long we have tarried:
   But what shall we do for a ring?"
They sailed away, for a year and a day,
   To the land where the Bong-Tree grows
And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood
   With a ring at the end of his nose,
             His nose,
             His nose,
   With a ring at the end of his nose.

III
"Dear Pig, are you willing to sell for one shilling
   Your ring?" Said the Piggy, "I will."
So they took it away, and were married next day
   By the Turkey who lives on the hill.
They dined on mince, and slices of quince,
   Which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
   They danced by the light of the moon,
             The moon,
             The moon,
They danced by the light of the moon.

The above has a traditional understanding, I know.  What it means to me, however, is that in the light of
actual reality and certainly Ultimate Reality, just how absurd all human knowledge and understanding is
in the light of what is real.  It rather reminds me of Plato's allegory of the cave https://faculty.washington.edu/smcohen/320/cave.htm