An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

Just popped into my head with a smile that I would finish off the poem "The Owl and the kitty cat Cat" with:

......and the owl and the kitty cat cat, pig and turkey needs must embrace that pea green boat, bong tree and runcible spoon - all howling at the moon irrevocably......

......... happily ever after forever..........

Vincent's Quote of the Day

St Vincent de Paul Society

May 11, 2017

Desires that come from God are gentle and leave the soul at peace; whereas inspirations of the evil spirit are, on the contrary, harsh and troubling to the person who has them (Writings of St Vincent de Paul VII:434).

The Message of Fatima - The Prayer

Taught by Our Lady

“Nothing is secret anymore; there is no fourth secret; all was published in 2000.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20000626_message-fatima_en.html

.................... “Pope John Paul II is the great interpreter of the Fatima Secret.” .............

...............“Protagonist Pope John Paul II interpreted the secret of Fatima. He was overwhelmed by the message of Fatima. He felt the need to reflect on the meaning and value of the angel and Mary of Fatima.”

“He was wounded by a professional killer. We are before a Pope who stopped at the beginning of his “rebirth”. John Paul II realized that the Blessed Virgin Mary gave him a second life, a “Marian Kairos” (a propitious moment for decision or action). The Holy Father had other intentions for his papacy but the assassination attempt and, consequently, his reflection on the secret of Fatima, gives him the way to interpret Fatima, and his present and future. The vision convinced Pope John Paul II that death was avoided only by the powerful intercession of Mary. This was a turning point in his pontificate. The secret of Fatima reveals the fight against Satan (murderer) and the maternal guidance (power) of Mary.”

Fatima introduces the symbol of the Blood; it reveals the battle between Satan and the Virgin Mary. The message throws light on the world today. Fatima opens a new vision of our future: a dark future enlightened by hope because of the maternal Heart of Mary. Fatima is a prophetic vision of the war waged against the Church and of immense suffering"................

THE FATIMA PRAYER

(GIVEN TO US BY MARY AT FATIMA)

“O my Jesus! Forgive us our sins, save us from the fire of hell. Lead all souls to heaven, especially those who are most in need.” This prayer said at the end of each decade of the Holy Rosary punctuates the spiritual weapon that defeats evil.

• “O my Jesus!” is the cry of the believing human heart.
  • “Forgive us our sins” is the desire of a good conscience, a response to God who poured out His Blood for the forgiveness of sins.
  • “Save us from the fire of hell” is a reminder that hell exists. We have complete freedom to choose NOT to go there.
  • “Lead us to Heaven” –the union of our free will with the divine will. Grace carries us there if we vigilantly respond to God.
  • “Especially those who are in most need”—penance, reparation, sacrifice –intercessory prayer for the salvation of souls.

The words of Cardinal Angelo Amato deserve repeating:

• The maternal hand of Mary reveals, ‘There is no unchangeable fate. Prayer is stronger than a gun!’ Mary shows us this.
  • Fatima opens a new vision of our future: a dark future enlightened by hope because of the maternal Heart of Mary. Fatima is a prophetic vision of the war waged against the Church and of immense suffering.
  • I am a Salesian. I am reminded of the prophetic dream of St. John Bosco who humbly lowered his prophetic reality to call it a dream. He saw a ship in the sea attacked by smaller ships. The ship anchored itself to two columns: The Virgin Mary and Jesus in the Eucharist. We cope with the battles of this life with Mary and the Eucharist.
Edited by BarbaraTherese

We don't have Eucharistic Adoration in our parish, but our sacristan for Saturday Vigil will pick me up at 4.50pm for 6pm Vigil Mass.  I will have an hour before the Blessed Sacrament in an almost empty Church - most of the time (just our sacristan and me).  After private prayer, I can then celebrate Mass and Holy Communion.  What a blessing! :dance4:  My first time was tonight and I had to keep stopping myself from going completely off the planet in prayer.

Happy Mother's Day tomorrow and primarily to The Church and Our Lady.

Laudate Dominum!

Deo Gratius!

Daily Reflection

May 13, 2017

“God is with us, and if sufferings abound in us,

His consolations also greatly abound and far exceed an utterance.”

– St. Elizabeth Ann Seton

Today's Saint Quote

I am happy the above popped up for today as I was tossing up whether to post the following or not: What I wrote about prayer taking me "off the planet" was not a statement about anything unusual or special.  I think it really quite common at times to be so involved in prayer that one is not really conscious of one's surroundings while not truly unconscious or anything like it.  When this happens for me, if someone comes up to speak to me and taps me on the shoulder, I go through the ceiling with fright - and they do too and are extremely apologetic and embarrassed - and I am too!!!   Hence if others are present in some way, I struggle against getting lost in prayer ("off the planet") and to stay in touch with my surroundings to spare both others and myself embarrassment.  Related image

There is no limit to the ways in which God may make himself known. At every turn in our lives there can be a meeting place with God. How our hearts should sing with joy and thanksgiving. We have only to want him now at this moment — at any moment in our lives — and he is there, wanting us, longing to welcome us, to forgive us all that has gone before that has separated us from him.” 
- Mother Frances Dominica, Prayer

(A Daily Spiritual Seed - Shalom Place)

Daily Reflection

May 15, 2017

“Our good God wishes that all which is past remain in oblivion.

The only thing you have to do is make good use of the present,

but you must ask this grace of Him.”

– St. Louise de Marillac

Saint Louise de Marillac, (born Aug. 12, 1591, Paris/Ferrières, France—died March 15, 1660, Paris; canonized March 11, 1934; feast day March 15), cofounder with St. Vincent de Paul of the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul, a congregation of laywomen dedicated to teaching and hospital work.

"the life of a Christian is a path between the persecutions of the world and the consolations of God" and that Christians "must enter the kingdom of God through many tribulations."  (St Augustine)

Daily Reflection

May 19, 2017

“You see a great deal of distress that you are unable to relieve. God sees it also. Bear the pains of the poor together with them, doing all you can to give them whatever help they need, and remain in peace.”
– St. Vincent de Paul

The question, you see, is not to prepare (for something specific) but to live in a state of ongoing preparedness so that, when someone who is drowning in the world comes into your world, you are ready to reach out and help . . . to let them be part of your life in God — that’s ministering.
- Henri J. M. Nouwen
Edited by BarbaraTherese