An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

SolitudeWilde.jpg

"Truth rises from the silence of being to the quiet, tremendous presence of the Word. Then, sinking again into silence, the truth of words bears us down into the silence of God. Or rather God rises out of the sea like a treasure in the waves, and when language recedes his brightness remains on the shores of our own being."
- Thomas Merton, Thoughts in Solitude

Daily Reflection - St Vincent de Paul Society FAMVIN

September 26, 2017

“…to be faithful is to persevere in the service of God right to the end,

for without perseverance, all is lost.”
St. Vincent de Paul

For very many years, I misunderstood quotes such as the above and similar quotations.  I fell so often, that I was continually accusing myself of lack of perseverance.  But then one day, Deo Gratius, I woke up that perseverance includes very much - and is foundational, the pivot, of the spiritual life i.e. The Sacrament of Reconciliation.  From that point onwards, I came out of the doldrums of totally unable to overcome my continual 'lack of perseverance' and I was able and gifted to give thanks for the consolation of waking up to the Loving Mercy of God.  The focus then shifted completely from myself to The Lord, His Love, His Mercy, His Consolations - His Infinite Consolations.

I think that once I really woke up to the fact that I am indeed a sinner and no two ways about it, the whole edifice of the spiritual life, began to fall into place, to make sense to me - including and importantly the fact that my whole focus shifted from myself and became centred on God.

I recall the Dominican nun who taught me in college saying that it is not the sin and it's seriousness, nor the amount of times one does sin, it is how long it takes one to pick up oneself, confess if necessary, and then go on as if nothing had happened.  The preceding is an active and alive, dynamic, act of Faith in Divine Mercy and all it means.

I think too that with waking up to the fact of one's status as a sinner and sinful, real compassion and understanding, empathy, for all others flows in as one begins to contemplate The Lord, His Love and His Mercy - which I am called to, with all others, to reflect to all I meet.

The words of The Our Father, as in every Mass I celebrate, came very much alive for me: "forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us".  Mercy will be granted to the merciful.  And the reward begins here one hundredfold and far more.

(reward is not a good word for me, but I cannot think just now of a more apt noun)

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Logo.jpg

27th September

Memorial St Vincent de Paul

Closing Prayer - Lauds:

Father, you endowed Saint Vincent de Paul with the spirit of an apostle

to give himself to the service of the poor and to the training of priests.

Give us a share of the same spirit

that we may love what he loved

and do as he taught us.

Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,

who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,

one God, for ever and ever.

Amen.

A writing of St Vincent de Paul

Serving the poor is to be preferred above all things

Second Reading - Office of Readings

Even though the poor are often rough and unrefined, we must not judge them from external appearances nor from the mental gifts they seem to have received. On the contrary, if you consider the poor in the light of faith, then you will observe that they are taking the place of the Son of God who chose to be poor.

Although in his passion he almost lost the appearance of a man and was considered a fool by the Gentiles and a stumbling block by the Jews, he showed them that his mission was to preach to the poor: He sent me to preach the good news to the poor. We also ought to have this same spirit and imitate Christ’s actions, that is, we must take care of the poor, console them, help them, support their cause.

Since Christ willed to be born poor, he chose for himself disciples who were poor. He made himself the servant of the poor and shared their poverty. He went so far as to say that he would consider every deed which either helps or harms the poor as done for or against himself. Since God surely loves the poor, he also loves those who love the poor. For when one person holds another dear, he also includes in his affection anyone who loves or serves the one he loves. That is why we hope that God will love us for the sake of the poor. So when we visit the poor and needy, we try to understand the poor and weak. We sympathise with them so fully that we can echo Paul’s words: I have become all things to all men. Therefore, we must try to be stirred by our neighbours’ worries and distress. We must beg God to pour into our hearts sentiments of pity and compassion and to fill them again and again with these dispositions.

It is our duty to prefer the service of the poor to everything else and to offer such service as quickly as possible. If a needy person requires medicine or other help during prayer time, do whatever has to be done with peace of mind. Offer the deed to God as your prayer. Do not become upset or feel guilty because you interrupted your prayer to serve the poor. God is not neglected if you leave him for such service. One of God’s works is merely interrupted so that another can be carried out. So when you leave prayer to serve some poor person, remember that this very service is performed for God. Charity is certainly greater than any rule. Moreover, all rules must lead to charity. Since she is a noble mistress, we must do whatever she commands. With renewed devotion, then, we must serve the poor, especially outcasts and beggars. They have been given to us as our masters and patrons.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Short Reading - None 27th September 2017

James Chapter 4

Give in to God: resist the devil, and he will run away from you. The nearer you go to God, the nearer he will come to you. Humble yourselves before the Lord and he will lift you up.

On 1/25/2014 at 12:48 AM, BarbaraTherese said:

I am so glad, very truly and honestly glad, that Phatmass is here and with such accepting and openhearted, open minded, members in the main.  I think I probably soon will have only you to 'talk to'.  Those around me who travelled with me during my very ill years with Bipolar tend to close ranks and avoid me if they think that I am unwell.   Their unfailing support comes only when I have been hospitalized (out of circulation and away from them and someone else's big problem) and then they are supportive when I am later released and sane once more.   My brother (see my previous post) obviously, I think, thinks that I am cracking up completely once more and loosing count of my marbles again - and doubtless this will circulate.  I have not made it generally known re private vows.  This is the first they are hearing of it and it aint easy to make it known and my coming plans re the Home Mass - oh not at all!  It is not easy to react quietly to questions that are obviously trying to test my mental state.

Thank you Phammers for being you and a true community and phamily to me!  :winner: My five star phamily and community. 

Prayer very much appreciated for sure!  I desperately need it on a few fronts. 

BarbaraTherese, After a few years without any type of spiritual direction except from Holy Scripture, EWTN, services/liturgia, and others, I find my soul urging me to seeking for one.  Someone here mentioned to go the Bishop, but I'm scared.  Besides he must have other things more important to do than to give me advice concerning Canon Law 603.  Especially at this time when I'm not sure what or where the Spirit is leading me:  canonical, private, lay contemplative, or any other option.  Grateful for your holy wisdom.

On 2/6/2014 at 9:17 PM, BarbaraTherese said:

Thanks heaps, BM.  I am over the bouncing all over the joint with joy stage (initial) then I went into the 'stunned mullet' stage - and now I think I am back to normal just pinching myself now and then that each hurdle presented is at last past tense and all resolved happily.   Thank you so much for joining in my Joy.

I am hoping that this thread might prove helpful to those considering or interested in the vocation.  We certainly get a strong mention in the Dogmatic Constitution of The Church and also in Vita Consecrata (The Consecrated Life).....(Pope Pius XII pre Vatican2 also mentioned us in "Sacra Virginitas" - see quote box below)  - but our guiding light is the Decree on The Apostolate of The Laity http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decree_19651118_apostolicam-actuositatem_en.html

I recall the days when the thought of remaining in the laity was a dreadful thought - yet now so full of Joy and Peace.  Very long journey indeed since then changing many of my concepts including the image of myself as a contemplative nun! :)

Fortunately, everything I have read and related threads ("single" or more accurately "lay celibate vocation") here on Phatmass or CA I have recorded in my Favourites - as a 'just in case needed again'.

Sacra Virginitas"Sacred Virginity"  http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_25031954_sacra-virginitas_en.html

ENCYCLICAL OF POPE PIUS XII
ON CONSECRATED VIRGINITY

"6. And while this perfect chastity is the subject of one of the three vows which constitute the religious state,[9] and is also required by the Latin Church of clerics in major orders[10] and demanded from members of Secular Institutes,[11] it also flourishes among many who are lay people in the full sense: men and women who are not constituted in a public state of perfection and yet by private promise or vow completely abstain from marriage and sexual pleasures, in order to serve their neighbor more freely and to be united with God more easily and more closely. "

Grateful for the reference on the Encyclical of Pope Pius XII on Consecrated Virginity.

Grateful

JesusWishesToOwnYourHeart600x600px.jpg

WHY ST THERESE OF LISIEUX

IS DANGEROUS

HERE

Excerpt only:.........  "............But here comes Therese, who with a smile will blow down the maze of excuses we’ve constructed. She leaves us no place to hide from God or from ourselves.

And that’s why she’s dangerous. She will tell us that if we’re not holy, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

So, now what do we do? If we’re not going to ..................."..............

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqh8QbCP37TFZdl8l16kc

Reading at Lauds

28th September 2017

Isaiah Chapter 66

"Thus says the Lord:

With heaven my throne

and earth my footstool,

what house could you build me,

what place could you make for my rest?

All of this was made by my hand

and all this is mine – it is the Lord who speaks.

But my eyes are drawn to the man

of humbled and contrite spirit,

who trembles at my word."

The above Reading ties in well with the theology and spirituality of St Therese of Lisieux, her understanding of herself and her understanding of her God.

de7f4660a30b3bf956a3c37f3a7ea570--art-pr

POETRY OF ST JOHN OF THE CROSS

"The Soul that Suffers with Longing for God"

No. 1 of 3

I live with no life of my own,                                                                                         

so filled with longing love

that I am dying that I do not die.

In me there is no life at all,

and without God I cannot live:

nor God, nor self - what can I call this life

and what has it to give?

A thousand deaths each day befall me,

seeking life,

So that is why

I die because I cannot live.

This life that I am living now

is bitter death,

And I continue to die until the day

I win you.

Listen, my God! My plaint allow!

I cannot live, I know not how

Unless you live in me

And I am dying that I do not die.

(To be continued..........No. 2 of 3)

Commitment-Quotes.jpg

I will give you understanding and teach you the path you are to follow;

I will keep watch over you.

Do not be like the horse and the mule,

without understanding:

if you approach them with bit or bridle,

they will not come near

(Psalm 31/32. Vespers 28th September 2017)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjZawPMfuJUF9HcvpMYxO

365872b2b2c584ede7095afa4a4e26e6--transiimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnzLiZG91AyGbpeyY6EZeimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnzLiZG91AyGbpeyY6EZe

CHAT

I have good news.  Since I did not break anything in the fall, I had a talk with my doctor today and I will not be having hip replacement surgery.  She will be treating my osteoarthritis in hip, knee, lower back and neck with pain killing medication.  The major severity is in the hip affecting my left leg.  As things stand with me at this point, I am more or less at the same point as before I fell - perhaps a bit more painful but not unbearably so.  I will need to see her monthly however as she must monitor the amount of pain killing medication I use to ensure I am not overdosing nor becoming addicted - and I am happy indeed that she is monitoring.  The drawback is it means a taxi to and from the surgery.

I don't want to have cortisone injections and my doc is not keen on it either - whatever means are used, it will probably be long term.

There are reasons I prefer not to have surgery.  First, I don't want major invasive surgery unless it is absolutely necessary.  Secondly, I would have to put Buddie and Missie (my little dog and cat) in a boarding kennel and it is frightfully expensive.  Buddie is getting older now and sometimes has accidents in the house.  He is wonderful in that it is never on the carpet to date, always on the vinyl and not so difficult to clean up on vinyl.  The amazing thing, is that it seems to be odourless.  I can't smell it anyway after cleaning and neither can those visitors I have asked i.e. those that know me very well.  The problem is that when he has to go he really has to go and I am no longer by far fleet of foot to open the back door for him.   I have other problems but this is surely enough - and enough is indeed enough. :) 

I would like to get my teeth fixed and it has been a couple of years I have needed the full dental treatment, cost around $500 and that is the amount for those on low incomes.  I will be having someone come in to help me with showering.  I can no longer wash my back nor lower legs, nor clean my toenails.  It is government subsidised but all these subsidised amounts rather quickly add up to a considerable amount on low income, especially if one needs a taxi.  I have help come in for the housework and also for the garden - both subsidised by the government but still amounting to a sum for me on low income.  I am already seeing a (government subsidised)podiatrist every couple of months - taxi there and back.

But the great news for me is that I will not be having invasive surgery.  I am going to have a talk with one of our "in the know" parishioners about going to Mass with my walker.  But I can't afford it every week (I have to travel to and fro by taxi), not with the direct debits I have put in place fortnightly for the two Mass collections.

My situation is not the very best, the ideal - however experience tells me that as one works gratefully with the less than ideal as time rolls on an ideal situation gradually develops.  Confident trust and patience.  The Good Lord knows what He is about and the why's and wherefores of it all - my vocation calls for confident trust and indeed patience content to work in Peace joyful within God's Time, so mysterious to us most often.

Deo Gratius indeed and laudate Dominum!

50045_original.jpg

POETRY OF ST JOHN OF THE CROSS

"Soul That Suffers with Longing to See God" (cont.)

Part 2 of 3

What life it is that I endure

apart from You, so far away

in darkest death, without a ray

of light to guide?  No help, no cure

for all my ills, sight as I may for pity,

I still live though I am dying that I do not die.

And when I seek to ease my pain

by gazing on You in the Host

Oh then it seems I suffer most.

I cannot find you, though I strain

towards You, and anguish mounts again

With unfulfilled desire I cry

and die because I cannot die.

My comment.  This seems to me to be the suffering of a soul in The Dark Night of St John of The Cross.  It is the anguish of a soul clinging to dark Faith and only dark Faith though longing with great ardour indeed for what in reality it knows not other than that death will reveal that for which he longs. It seems that only death is the answer and the cure for all the pain of absence.

I have missed out a verse where I typed "HERE" in the poem above.  The typing in my little booklet is very small and I am short sighted.

The fish that's taken from the stream

is not without its own relief,

even in dying there's a gleam

of comfort, for the pain is brief

and ends in death.  Pity my grief!

What death like unto mine? For I

am dying, yet I do not die.