An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

joy.jpg

“For a Christian the divine cannot be reduced to the exploration of one’s own inner life or the acquisition of cosmic ‘powers’. The divine has nothing to do with scientism, however spiritualistically inclined. It is Someone who comes to us in the sovereign freedom of love. . . .We can only prepare ourselves to receive it, making ourselves attentive to the possibility of a meeting.”

- Olivier Clement, The Roots of Christian Mysticism

Shalom Place - Dominican Sisters of Peace

3BDA240A00000578-4089052-image-a-62_1483

The village blacksmith hired an enthusiastic new apprentice willing to work long, hard hours.  He instructed the boy, “When I take the shoe out of the fire, I’ll lay it on the anvil. When I nod my head, you hit it with the hammer.”

The apprentice did exactly as he was told, and now he’s the new village blacksmith.

Shalom Place

Dominican Sisters of Peace

We need not despair of any person or situation as long as we live. For God deemed it better to bring good out of evil than not to permit evil at all.
- St. Augustine

My tuppence: The above not only speaks to the terrible evils in our world, but also to our own faults and failings, our sinfulness.  Nothing whatsoever comes about that is not God's Direct Will or His Permissive Will in accord with our Doctrine of Divine Providence - see CCC "Divine Providence and The Scandal of Evil" Nos. 309 to 314 http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s2c1p4.htm#324

1003-624x468.png

On Oct. 15, 2006, Mother Theodore Guerin was recognized as a saint by Pope Benedict XVI in a canonization ceremony at St. Peter's Square in Rome.

At the time of her beatification Pope John Paul II pronounced the life of Mother Theodore Guerin as “a perfect blend of humanness and holiness”. HERE

bb7abef5436fde4e572cdde7168ee624.png

Vincent's Quote of the Day - St Vincent de Paul Society FAMVIN

October 3

O human wretchedness! O cursed pride! How much trouble you cause!

- St Vincent de Paul (XII:21).

b978c497c070627e922091ed35f61fea59b440fc

Last night, doing nothing in particular, I suddenly said to myself completely unexpectedly and out loud (ability of living alone):

"I can't drive this jolly car any more, You take over!"  :popcorn2:

Saw my psychiatrist yesterday and all good there.  I told her that I planned not to have hip surgery.  She explained to me that if I had hip surgery, my lower back (severe arthritis) would still be problematic and probably the lower back pain when it hits is the worst of all.  (My psychiatrist wanted to be a GP originally).  She had a great time on holidays and stepped completely out of her comfort zone.  The problem for me with such stepping out is that where one lands can very quickly become the comfort zone. When I first spoke openly about private vows, I was outside my comfort zone.  When I first spoke openly about my bipolar condition, I was outside my comfort zone.  When I started this thread, I was outside my comfort zone and a few times in the unfolding I have stepped outside again.  Now those previous subjects are comfort zones.

My next big move for me will be to find another GP locally who bulk bills (no charge nor gap fee) and will prescribe psychiatric medication when needed.  I've never had the problem before but since shifting here, some GPs will not prescribe it.  It is a bit weird to me since ideally a GP will handle all health problems - while I do suspect that there might be some paranoia about patients becoming addicted to certain psychiatric medications.  I've been on one of those medications now for over 20 years and prescribed for me by my GP and monitored by my psychiatrist if the GP wants to do so.  I am still not addicted to it.  My doc yesterday and I had a conversation about paranoia and she said that some can be a bit paranoid, but providing it does not interfere with living their normal lives, she is not overly concerned.

Comfort-Zone.jpg

Ahhh the journey

get off the wide maddening highway

and walk the narrow way

adjusting perspective and attitude

How often in His Life Jesus calls for an adjustment in perspective and attitude

The history of mankind has been very often a dreadful one - largely we have brought about dreadful and horrific situations ourselves - including in our own day.  What that speaks to is that we can indeed amend our ways and create new lessons for history...........and I must begin with myself because it is what I am given to begin with - Grace and The Holy Spirit is never wanting.

The question for me becomes, how am I to communicate Jesus and His Gospel?  Jesus gives me the answer, the whole answer: "Learn from Me, for I am meek and humble of heart".  Too often the way can be to throw the book of morality at myself and at others. That is a type of violence.  That very same inner inclination and need can be expressed in cruel bigotry and self righteousness.

I have had an instance recently in my own journey where adopting a meek and humble attitude and perspective has brought about a change in unhelpful behaviours in another.  I try to keep in mind that the walk is that of The Cross and tomorrow I might joyfully and hopefully adopt meekness and humility expecting an excellent result - and find that another illusion has crashed and burnt, teaching me a lesson I need to learn in my journey, including about expectations.

"No servant is greater than his Master" (John Chapter 15)

jesus-is-god.jpg

1005-624x468.png

1005perth_30389artthumb.jpg

Mental Health Week

Excerpt only: "Speaking ahead of 2017 Mental Health Week Western Australia, which commences this Saturday and includes World Mental Health Day on Sunday, Archbishop Costelloe said whatever the cause, our call, as followers of Jesus, is to care about people with mental health issues.

“The question for each one of us becomes, when we meet someone with a developing mental health issue, will they see in us the face of Jesus, or will they see someone in fear?” Archbishop Costelloe said.

“I am sure Jesus met many people experiencing mental health issues, whom he treated with dignity and respect,” he said.........".............  (Not a long article by a long shot, go to http://cathnews.com/cathnews/30389-in-the-face-of-mental-health-issues-see-jesus-urges-costelloe

st-vincent-de-paul-powerpoint-presentati

St Vincent de Paul Society FAMVIN

Daily Reflection – October 4

“All ships are exposed to storms

but are not thereby doomed to perish.

May Our Lord be your Strength, your Protector, your Sanctifier.”
– St. Vincent de Paul

stickymi.gif

THEOLOGICAL FRAMEWORK

ON

MENTAL ILLNESS

"The National Catholic Partnership on Disability (NCPD) (helpful site) sets forth the following framework as a guide to the Church’s ministry for and with people with mental illness: http://www.ncpd.org/ministries-programs/specific/mentalillness/framework

Benedict XVI, pope from 2005 to 2013
Message for the World Mission Day 2006 (Copyright © Libreria Editrice Vaticana)

"Charity: soul of the mission"

Unless the mission is oriented by charity, that is, unless it springs from a profound act of divine love, it risks being reduced to mere philanthropic and social activity. In fact, God's love for every person constitutes the heart of the experience and proclamation of the Gospel, and those who welcome it in turn become its witnesses. God's love, which gives life to the world, is the love that was given to us in Jesus, the Word of salvation, perfect icon of the Heavenly Father's mercy.

The saving message can be summed up well, therefore, in the words of John the Evangelist: "In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him" (I Jn 4: 9). It was after his Resurrection that Jesus gave the Apostles the mandate to proclaim the news of this love, and the Apostles, inwardly transformed by the power of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost, began to bear witness to the Lord who had died and was risen. Ever since, the Church has continued this same mission, which is an indispensable and ongoing commitment for all believers.

http://dailygospel.org/main.php?language=AM&module=commentary&localdate=20171005

Edited by BarbaraTherese