An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

please-take-note-882150.jpg

Only rightful to add that theologians would disagree with my understanding of hatred (I did a bit of research).  They define hatred as potentially not sinful and on the other hand sinful to varying degrees.  Your own research is easily undertaken.  I stick by what I have stated personally and I am only an uneducated fellow traveller and pilgrim - they are educated theologians of The Church.

Vincent's Quote of the Day - St Vincent de Paul Society

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAOFAAAAJGE3MGRmNjBiLTg2MjUt

Quote of the Day – November 29

"All those who love the poor in life will have nothing to fear from death" (XII:391).

oppeace-logo@2x.png

On gifts and talents

"With what presumption have we called them ours, and even felt unselfish when we shared them-
When, if the truth be known, they have been Yours from the beginning, Lord! You have prepared them for us to borrow, using as our own:
So thank You, Father, for this generous loan.
... Elaine V. Emans"

Shalom Place

Dominican Sisters of Peace

st.-therese-vintage-replica-holy-card_61

A good book to read if you can get hold of it is "The Love that Keeps Us Sane (Living the Little Way of St Therese").  I might post some quotes from it now and then.

Found it on Amazon and I see it is available on Kindle too - as well as Kindle Australia:

Letters of Brother Lawrence

Prayer

"One way to recall the mind easily in the time of prayer, and preserve it more in tranquillity, is not to let it wander too far at other times. You should keep it strictly in the Presence of God; and, being accustomed to think of Him often, you will find it easy to keep your mind calm in the time of prayer, or at least to recall it from its wanderings."
... Brother Lawrence, Letters

Edited by BarbaraTherese

1201-624x468.png

11211d260c929bab5d2c68f2cabea8d9.jpg

I am quite confident the above is probably true for a person without anxiety related problems.  I don't think probably it is as simple for a person with an anxiety disorder which is a prevalent mental illness - or perhaps it is just as simple.  Perhaps it is just that I have never experienced such Peace and calm in anxiety, danger and fear -  and my personal Faith is not "there" yet.

I tend to think where one has some kind of anxiety disorder there is no real relief in Peace and calm while there is reassurance in Faith - rather adversity becomes a suffering and cross to unite to The Cross and to do what one can in the circumstances - and leave the rest to God.

If one experiences Peace and calm in adverse circumstances then it is an occasion to be humbly thankful for consolation in adversity.  If one does not experience consolation in adversity, then it is an occasion to be humbly thankful for the honour of something to suffer and unite to The Cross.

Both reactions in adversity work on the road to holiness and call for gratitude.

We are all in the Arms of Divine Providence where nothing is wasted and everything has value and opportunities for holiness.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

divine-providence-in-the-life-of-todays-

To read all about the doctrine of Divine Providence in the Catholic Catechism go to: http://www.catholicdoors.com/catechis/cat0279.htm (Scroll down to "God Carries Out His Plan: Divine Providence".

Excerpts:

311 Angels and men, as intelligent and free creatures, have to journey toward their ultimate destinies by their free choice and preferential love. They can therefore go astray. Indeed, they have sinned. Thus has moral evil, incommensurably more harmful than physical evil, entered the world. God is in no way, directly or indirectly, the cause of moral evil. [Cf. St. Augustine, De libero arbitrio I, 1, 2: PL 32, 1221- 1223; St. Thomas Aquinas, STh I-II, 79, 1] He permits it, however, because he respects the freedom of his creatures and, mysteriously, knows how to derive good from it: [396 1849]
For almighty God..., because he is supremely good, would never allow any evil whatsoever to exist in his works if he were not so all-powerful and good as to cause good to emerge from evil itself. [St. Augustine, Enchiridion II, 3: PL 40, 236]

313 "We know that in everything God works for good for those who love him." [Rom 8:28] The constant witness of the saints confirms this truth: [227]

314 We firmly believe that God is master of the world and of its history. But the ways of his providence are often unknown to us. Only at the end, when our partial knowledge ceases, when we see God "face to face", [1 Cor 13:12] will we fully know the ways by which - even through the dramas of evil and sin - God has guided his creation to that definitive sabbath rest [Cf. Gen 2:2] for which he created heaven and earth. [1040, 2550]

My experiences with anxiety have enabled me to help others when they felt anxious.  There is value in that, I think.

giphy.gif

Fearing Buddie (my little Maltese Cross WITH ATTITUDE YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE) really was constipated, I more or less followed him around yesterday as close as his shadow.  Then this morning woke and discovered (somewhat dismayed - paper, bucket with water, cloth on hand) that Buddie was in fact suffering with a touch of diarrhoea.

200.gif#8-grid1

On being told to dismantle the attitude

18 minutes ago, Pax17 said:

My experiences with anxiety have enabled me to help others when they felt anxious.  There is value in that, I think.

Really good point, thank you very much for sharing - and yes, I agree that it has very real positive value.

quote-i-am-nothing-but-a-miserable-crush

Quote of the Day – December 1 - St Vincent de Paul Society

"I am not a man but a poor worm crawling along the earth, not knowing where I am going, but seeking only to hide myself in you, O God (XII:394)."

St Teresa of Avila also call herself a worm ... and it is biblical: "But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and the despised of the people." (Psalm 22 - Douay Rheims)

If we do not at least try to manifest something of Creative Charity in our dealings with life, whether by action, thought, or prayer, and do it at our own cost -- if we roll up the talent of love in the nice white napkin of piety and put it safely out of the way, sorry that the world is so hungry and thirsty, so sick and so fettered, and leave it at that: then, even that little talent may be taken from us. We may discover at the crucial moment that we are spiritually bankrupt.
... Evelyn Underhill, The School of Charity

Shalom Place - Dominican Sisters of Peace

1204-624x468.png

Eusebius of Caesarea (c.265-340), Bishop, theologian, historian

Demonstration of the Gospel, II, 3, 35 (cf. SC 228)

"Many will come from the east and the west, and will recline

... at the banquet in the kingdom of heaven"

There are numerous witnesses in the Gospel showing that the pagans received no less grace than the Jews. If the Jews... have a share in the blessing of Abraham, the friend of God, because they are his descendants, let us call to mind that God made a promise to give the pagans a blessing, not only like that of Abraham but of Isaac and Jacob too. Indeed, he clearly foretold that all the nations would be similarly blessed and he invites all peoples to share one and the same joy with those blessed friends of God: “Nations, rejoice with his people” (Dt 32,43 LXX) and again, “The princes of the peoples are gathered together with the people of the God of Abraham” (Ps 47[46],10).

If Israel glorifies herself in God's Kingdom, speaking of it as her heritage, the divine oracles show her that God will also reign over other peoples: “Say among the nations: The Lord is king” (Ps 96[95],10) and again: “God reigns over the nations” (Ps 47[46],9). If the Jews were chosen to be priests of God and to offer him worship..., God's word has promised to bestow the same ministry on the nations: “Give to the Lord, you families of nations, give to the Lord glory and praise; bring gifts and enter his courts” (Ps 96[95],7-8)...

And if formerly, to begin with, “The Lord's own portion was Jacob, his hereditary share was Israel” (Dt 32,9), Scripture subsequently affirms that all peoples will be given to the Lord in inheritance according to the Father's words: “Ask of me and I will give you the nations for an inheritance” (Ps 2,8). And again, prophecy proclaims that he will “rule” not just in Judah but “from sea to sea, to the ends of the earth; all nations shall serve him... and in him shall all the tribes of the earth be blessed” (cf. Ps 72[71],8.11.17). This is how the God of the universe “has made his salvation known in the sight of the nations” (Ps 98[97],2).

Daily Gospel.org

Read The Catechism in a Year

http://flocknote.com/catechism

552. How can adoration be defined?
Adoration is the humble acknowledgement by human beings that they are creatures of the thrice-holy Creator.
Further reading: CCC 2628

553. What are the different forms of the prayer of petition?
It can be a petition for pardon or also a humble and trusting petition for all our needs either spiritual or material. The first thing to ask for, however, is the coming of the Kingdom.
Further reading: CCC 2629-2633, 2646

554. In what does the prayer of intercession consist?
Intercession consists in asking on behalf of another. It conforms us and unites us to the prayer of Jesus who intercedes with the Father for all, especially sinners. Intercession must extend even to one's enemies.
Further reading: CCC 2634-2636, 2647

411uZzn49cL._SX358_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Following is typed from:

"The Love that Keeps us Sane - living the Little way of St Therese"

(Something is up with my Kindle and it wont download)

In the monastery of Lisieux in the time of St Therese, she had a fellow nun prone to a depressive personality and violent mood swings ([possibly a brand of bipolar disorder).   St Therese said of her "She is like an old clocking needing rewinding every 15 minutes".  None of the nuns wanted to associate with Sr Marie of St Joseph and even for St Therese she was a difficult person to work for; however St Therese did work for her and a month after finishing, she wrote:

"This year, dear Mother, God has given me the Grace to understand what Charity is.  I understood it before, it is true, but in an imperfect way.   I had not fathomed the meaning of these words of Jesus: The second commandment is like the first, you shall love your neighbour as yourself.....".  Dear Mother, when meditating on these words of Jesus, I understood how imperfect was my love for the Sisters.  Ah, now I understood that Charity consists in bearing the faults of my others and not being surprised at their weaknesses, in being edified at the smallest acts of virtue we see them practise. 

I understood most of all that Charity must not remain hidden: "No one lights a lamp to put it under a bushel, but upon a lampstand to light the whole house".  It seems to me that this lamp represents Charity, which must enlighten and rejoice not only those who are dearest to us but ALL without distinction."

These words indicate not only what Charity cost Therese, but also intimate the fruit she received from it because she was willing to bear the presence of Sr. Marie.  Therese was not shocked by her behaviour because she was able to see how much Sr Marie struggled with herself - she was able to see acts of virtue that no one else saw.  This fostered a deep sense of compassion in Therese.  Once when Pauline asked Therese how she could bear working with Sr Marie, Therese replied:

"I assure you I have the greatest compassion for her. If you knew her as well as I do, you would see that she is not responsible for all of the things that seems so awful to us.  I remind myself that if I had an infirmity such as hers and so defective a spirit, I would not do any better than she does - and then I would despair; she suffers terribly from her own shortcomings".

________________________

In reading the above, it seems to me that Sr Marie just might also be a saint.  There is absolutely nothing in life that can abort the way to holiness.  We can be diverted only by sin and return to the way by repentance.

_____o0o_____

1206-624x468.png

Edited by BarbaraTherese

19 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

411uZzn49cL._SX358_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Following is typed from:

"The Love that Keeps us Sane - living the Little way of St Therese"

(Something is up with my Kindle and it wont download)

In the monastery of Lisieux in the time of St Therese, she had a fellow nun prone to a depressive personality and violent mood swings ([possibly a brand of bipolar disorder).   St Therese said of her "She is like an old clocking needing rewinding every 15 minutes".  None of the nuns wanted to associate with Sr Marie of St Joseph and even for St Therese she was a difficult person to work for; however St Therese did work for her and a month after finishing, she wrote:................"

_____o0o_____

Re the above Post  LOCATED IN FULL - HERE ............I do not think that "no one lights a lamp to put it under a bushel, rather it is put on a lampstand to light the whole house" means that our acts of virtue should be done to be observable to all.  Rather it will be The Lord who puts the lamp on the lampstand since it is He alone who lights the light.  This means too that people will rejoice at virtue but not necessarily observably.  Oh how many times have I sighted real virtue in others and been inwardly happy and given thanks for it - even hoped to be able to imitate it.  The nun who taught me used to say "Never be afraid to imitate virtue".

Our business, to me, is to commit to virtue and leave it up to The Lord whether it shines in an observable manner, or whether it does not.  Certainly, the whole of Heaven will rejoice at acts of virtue and doubly rejoice if performed with humility or without any show i.e. hidden acts.  In fact, there can be no real virtue in truth without humility.  St Augustine : "Humility is the foundation of all other virtues".  To me, it is not up to us to invest in virtue so that it is seen - we can very confidently leave that side of things in The Lord's Hands alone.

In the case of St Therese, it was certainly The Lord who lit her lamp and then placed it on the lampstand of canonization for the whole world to see.  I think that as one travels the road of virtue, one looses all and any concern about whether virtue is seen or whether it is not.  The whole focus is on living and living as well as one can in one's own estimation and unconcerned about the opinions of others - detachment.  And there will always and forever be for all a gentle, Peaceful sort of restlessness that we are falling short of what we actually could do and are able to do.  "So you also, when you have done everything commanded of you, should say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.’” (Luke Chapter 17).

God alone makes canonized saints.  Many saints there are in Heaven and perhaps far greater saints than those brought into the light and canonized.  God has His Reasons.  Certainly, Judgement Day and Heaven will have stunning surprises - and abundant unimaginable, awe-some, surprises.  In sights and experiences even the most vivid and gifted of imaginations here on earth could not even begin to imagine.