An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

6a00d83451b36c69e201b7c8cd59ee970b-600wi

As probably for all, life picks up considerably these few weeks before Christmas.  The Seasons of The Church Year are the times when I can miss monastic life..........but then I shrug my shoulder knowing I am where I am called to be and just get on with life in the secular and the craziness of what needs to be done these next two weeks.  Christmas Day my foster son is here for lunch and on the 26th it is our big family reunion each year.

Buddie needs either more medication or a visit to the Vet.  I rang the vet's rooms this morning.  Buddie finished the Codeine last night and started to cough again this morning.  But lo and behold, after I spoke to the vet's nurse, Buddie stopped coughing.  Often the way, huh, when one calls on the vet or the doctor.  The nurse said that she had spoken to the vet and he would be giving Buddie and his cough some thought and get back to me.

I am hoping to travel interstate in February/March to visit my son and his wife.  They are looking into the feasibility of me shifting over there permanently for my later years.  I am not ready yet as I can still manage in this unit.  On the 13th. December, I am going on a tour of a rental age care facility.  As I said, not ready yet, just opening the doors a fraction to see what is available if and when the time comes.

My niece hairdresser has put foils in my hair, meaning that the now white hair is subtly two toned.  I am very happy with it.  In preparation for going away in February, I also had my eyelashes tinted to see how that goes.  I asked for brown, but I think before I go away, I will choose black as the brown made hardly a mark at all.  My hair colour will be touched up then too.  I might even wear a bit of makeup.  It is important to me that my sons and their wives see that I care for myself and look as good as I might be able.  It really isn't that important at all to me surprisingly perhaps - for example I would love to wear a habit and veil and never have to be concerned about appearances again.  But again, I shrug my shoulders knowing I am where I am meant to be and dive into my old makeup bag again.  We have more than one saint who has advised that one should care about one's appearance for the sake of others - especially one's husband.  I do think common sense says the same, confirming what saints have said about appearance.  According to St Albert in the Ancient and Original Rule for Carmel "common sense is the guide of all the virtues".

In the changes that came about with Vatian II, religious were advised to modernize their habits, which should be modest and attractive - or something along those lines.  That tells me that I also should adopt modest and attractive secular clothing.  Thankfully, I have never ever been a fan of fashion, which is no virtue-  rather just the way I am.

Just finished watching a movie "Keeping Mum" (comedy).  The lead is a vicar (Rowan Atkinson) and gives an address at one point to a church conference on "God's Mysterious Ways"  Here are his closing remarks to his address:.

"What in the end all this comes down to is how we deal in life with the problems we have to face. Sometimes it’s a question of just taking action, of making decisions, of involving others, of finding your resolve and seeing it through. But at other times, it’s about something much less tangible. Sometimes all it takes is a little grace. A little of God’s grace, and all our problems seem to fade away. Now, should we demand an explanation from our Lord? Question his methods? Or should we merely enjoy the benefits? Well, I don’t think the Good Lord wants us to question too much.

Isaiah Chapter 55 Verse 8: “My ways are not your ways.” And I think what he basically means by that is,

I’m mysterious folks. Live with it.”

tenor.gif

hooded-figure-sitting-on-island.jpg

This morning realizing I might need another visit to the vet plus treatment with Buddie and the expense involved at a time I am trying to save to go interstate in February, I felt no anxiety whatsoever.  Along with that, I am trying to organize my Christmas cards and gifts, Christmas lunch.  This week has been busy enough, next week is crazy. Still no anxiety.  I just felt calm and Peaceful and I gave wondrous thanks, I tell you.  Normally in such a situation my anxiety would be through the roof and I would be heading for the Oxazepam to keep calm.

Many and often wondrous are the consolations of God.  I am very much aware at these times that St Teresa of Avila has told us that very often God will grant consolations in order to support one in one's weaknesses - a support to carry out His Will in what would be difficult for one otherwise because of weakness.  We can tend to see consolations as some sort of reward or even a sign of holiness.  It is not so - and rather often it is not so.

consolations.png

Immaculate-Conception.jpg

8th December

Solemnity of The Immaculate Conception

Today humanity, in all the radiance of her immaculate nobility, receives its ancient beauty. The shame of sin had darkened the splendor and attraction of human nature; but when the Mother of the Fair One par excellence is born, this nature again regains in her person its ancient privileges and is fashioned according to a perfect model truly worthy of God.

The reform of our nature begins today, and the aged world, subjected to a wholly divine transformation, receives the first fruits of the second creation.

St Andrew of Crete, 733 A.D.

Louis_de_Montfort.jpg

TREATISE ON TRUE DEVOTION

TO THE BLESSED VIRGIN

https://www.ewtn.com/library/Montfort/TRUEDEVO.HTM

St. Louis de Montfort

INDEX:

INTRODUCTION

PART I - TRUE DEVOTION TO OUR LADY IN GENERAL
CH. 1 - NECESSITY OF DEVOTION TO OUR LADY
CH. 2 - IN WHAT DEVOTION TO MARY CONSISTS

PART II - THE PERFECT DEVOTION TO OUR LADY
CH. 3 - THE PERFECT CONSECRATION TO JESUS CHRIST
CH. 4 - MOTIVES WHICH RECOMMEND THIS DEVOTION
CH. 5 - BIBLICAL FIGURE OF THIS PERFECT DEVOTION
CH. 6 - WONDERFUL EFFECTS OF THIS DEVOTION
CH. 7 - PARTICULAR PRACTICES

SUPPLEMENT: THIS DEVOTION AT HOLY COMMUNION

Aleteia

https://aleteia.org/2017/12/09/lexi-walkers-enchanting-reimagined-mash-up-of-ave-maria-and-o-holy-night/?utm_campaign=NL_en&utm_source=daily_newsletter&utm_medium=mail&utm_content=NL_en

Music

Lexi Walker’s enchanting reimagined mash-up of “Ave Maria” and “O Holy Night”

Her last note will leave you breathless.

Lexi Walker joined The Piano Guys for this mind blowing reimagining of “Ave Maria”‘s melody with the lyrics of “O Holy Night.” Of course, the melody for “O Holy Night” makes an appearance at the end, because why wouldn’t you want that beautiful high note? At just 15 years old, Lexi gives a mind-blowing performance and, with effortless skill, makes her way through the difficult melody, which left us breathless by the end.

The Piano Guys describe the inspiration behind this arrangement on YouTube:

O Holy Night has graced Christmas for 170 years since its inception. It has earned a place among the greatest carols of all time. But such fame can breed vapid familiarity. 170 years of airtime can acclimate the ear so much that we may not feel the Holiness of O Holy Night as perhaps we once did. Unless, perhaps, its transcendent lyrics were cast into a new mold? A mold created by, none other than, J.S. Bach.

The Piano Guys are an American musical group consisting of a pianist, cellist, videographer, and music producer. The group originated as a social media strategy to promote one of the members’ piano store, but the group found they worked so well together that they began to release music videos. In August, 2016, they surpassed 1 billion views of their videos on YouTube. They have released seven studio albums.

TowardTheGoalBULLETIN.jpg?resize=720,362

The following quotation from the Letter to the Philippians contains tonight's Reading at Vespers:

Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again: rejoice! Your kindness 5 should be known to all. The Lord is near. Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God.

Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Keep on doing what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me. Then the God of peace will be with you.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__P10I.HTM

Really busy time and probably for all these two weeks before Christmas.  I will try to post at least one post daily into this thread. 

My difficulties have increased - a prayer would be really valued and appreciated.

1212-624x468.png

Blessed Ludwik was arrested by the Nazis and transferred to a number of camps, finally to Auschwitz.  He was martyred by the Nazis. https://catholicsaints.info/blessed-ludwik-bartosik/

I almost put my foot right in things yesterday by making a decision while in an emotional state.  Thankfully, Deo Gratius Laudate Dominum, I held back from carrying that decision through.  Today emotions have settled and I can see just what a mess of things I would have made if I had carried out my decision of yesterday.  I asked for prayer and thank you, prayer answered.

It is not the first time I have learnt the lesson of not making decision while in an emotional state, but I just keep on nudging that mistake and too closely for comfort.  Will I learn this time!  I am hoping I will have done so and with a prayer.

Buddie is coughing again and waiting to hear from the vet.  After I phone the vet, he stops coughing.  I keep wondering if Buddie could possibly be playing me:popcorn2:

....AND MORE6a00d83451b36c69e201b7c8cd59ee970b-600wi

Quite some time back, I had occasion to speak with a parishioner on a private and personal matter of mine, asking that our conversation be regarded as personal and confidential. That "other person" I confided to struck me as a very kind and considerate person who is active in the parish.  I now realise probably a year or so since I first confided, that I had been talking to probably the biggest microphone in the parish!  :lol4:  ... and that scares me silly.

Ahhh parish politics and cowards who fear them!:whistle:

Dear Lord, please help me overcome my cowardice and vulnerability to intimidation - and with the intercession of Your mother.  Amen.

Tuum fiat voluntas

_______

My private psychiatrist, with whom I have spoken about my difficulty in making friends in this parish and suburb, put me in touch with Public Mental Health for social support.  I am truly amazed at how helpful they are and always at their cost.  This is an absolutely huge step tremendously from where PMH was at when I left them to see my doctor privately some 8 years ago since I shifted here.

Yesterday I went to lunch with my group at a very nice hotel.  The lunch was paid for as well as taxi there and back by PMH.  It was the first time I met the people who will be in my group in 2018.  Amazing people and very friendly and warm.  It is wonderful too to be in touch again with fellow mental illness sufferers - it is something I lost and grieved about when I transferred to a private psychiatrist.  I am totally grateful to be back socially among those with whom I have a close and long standing, established bond.

Laudate Dominum

I think I have caught up with my schedule for Christmas - Deo Gratius!

30 minutes ago, Era Might said:

Great quote.

Very true and opportune - I needed my attention drawn to the quote.  Thanks heaps.

These quotes etc. posted are really standards I should aspire towards, high bars established,  and never standards I have attained.  One might make the bar now and then and think one has arrived - not all that much later or so one discovers one has not.

Heaven will be such an absolute relief not having to struggle and battle daily.  When and if I get there, that is.  As my dearest Dad used to say "life is long and full of pitfalls".

I recognised the name of St Peter Fourier, but could not recall the story: http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=5366 .... our saints who experienced failure are among my favourites. :) 

I have just finished watching an almost hour long documentary on FoxtelGo.  It was an amazing and moving experience indicating scientifically that the tomb is probably indeed the tomb found by Constantine (scientific analysis of the mortar as dating back to around 300AD).  The tomb was in danger of falling and permission was granted to scientists to do the restore.  National Geographic was present to do the filming for posterity.  The documentary I watched was called simply "Events 31".

Here is the National Geographic report in text http://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/history/unsealing-of-christs-reputed-tomb-turns-up-new-revelations.aspx

I do hope that restoration will be able to be renewed over the years and centuries to preserve this wonder for generations to come.  It means so much to so many.

Series of video tours of central places, important to Christianity, in the life of Jesus

oppeace-logo.png

Those who denounce the doctrine of the second advent as speculative, fanciful and unpractical, would do well to reconsider the subject. The doctrine was not so regarded in the days of the apostles. In their eyes, patience, hope, diligence, moderation, personal holiness, were inseparably connected with an expectation of the Lord’s return. Happy is the Christian who has learned to think with them! To be ever looking for the Lord’s appearing is one of the best helps to a close walk with God. 
- J. C. Ryle

Shalom Place - Dominican Sisters of Peace

1213-624x468.png