0106-624x468.png

Who Was St Andre Bessette?

---oOo---

Martyred Monks (1996) to be Beatified

Bishop Barron comments on movie about the martyred monks:

PSALM 82

http://www.usccb.org/bible/psalms/82:3

A psalm of Asaph.

God takes a stand in the divine council, gives judgment in the midst of the gods. “How long will you judge unjustly and favor the cause of the wicked?

Selah

“Defend the lowly and fatherless; render justice to the afflicted and needy. Rescue the lowly and poor; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.” The gods neither know nor understand, wandering about in darkness, and all the world’s foundations shake.

I declare: “Gods though you be, offspring of the Most High all of you. Yet like any mortal you shall die; like any prince you shall fall.”

Arise, O God, judge the earth, for yours are all the nations.

Fotolia_30732541_XS.jpg

I put a request into the Prayer Forum for my son and his wife in another state.  There was a huge bushfire not far from them and immediately behind their property is a large reserve and if that caught on fire it would be a disaster.  I am very happy and thankful to write that the bushfire was brought under control before the reserve at the rear of their property caught fire.  All is ok.  Thank you for prayer.

I am finding it confusing (and that is the word) that The Lord is looking after all my interests as He is.  I really do not deserve it.  I know so very many who are deserving and in dreadful straits.  It is confusing to me and I have to let it rest in the Mystery He is.  It is a very real something I am experiencing and not some pious platitude.  I think that perhaps it is that without His Help and Consolation, I would stumble and fall right away.  My Faith has to be propped up.

I have a few problems I still have to sort out that are a bit time consuming just now.

Fiat Voluntas Tua

Laudate Dominum

blackboard_conciseness-lg-56afa5005f9b58

tenor.gif

I had been struggling financially to save for my trip interstate to see my son and his wife - the struggle was largely connected to vet bills.  My brother gave me $200 to cover an $80 vet bill as a birthday present (I am now 72yrs old).  Now my insurance company has just given me today another $200 as a percentage reward for being a good customer over a long period (funeral policy).  My financial struggles are over and my interstate trip looks assured without stress.  I had decided to go well and truly into the red and worry about things after my trip.  I bought my ticket some time back when I had the money, it was the related expenses that were the concern. This is what I mean about The Lord watching over my interests for me - I almost suddenly had an extra $400.  There are many channels in life that The Lord uses to accomplish His Will and in this instance my brother and my insurance company are the channels of His Care.

Other channels The Lord can utilize can be sources of difficulty and/or suffering.  These too come because The Lord permits them for a good reason often mysterious to us - but equally, in the eyes of Faith, channels of His Care.

We can either look on this world and our circumstances with worldly eyes, or through the eyes of Faith.  It is the eyes of Faith alone that can make sense of all things in life and in our journeys.  Where difficulty and suffering are concerned, the eyes of Faith does not mean that one feels the difficulty and suffering any the less.  Of course, some saints and holy people might experience that the difficulty and suffering are lessened, even non existent.  But I often wonder if the lessening of (or release from) difficulty and suffering can really be called difficulties and sufferings per se and the honour and dignity of a share in the Cross of Christ per se?  Whatever, all is accomplished as The Lord directs or permits and to the good.  This is our Faith.

I think that the best we could attain would be to give thanks in life for all things, detached from whether it is good fortune or the lack of it where oneself is concerned.  The paradox is that where the sufferings and difficulties of others are concerned we really do empathise and feel for, and hope and pray ardently, for a release from suffering for others.  I would even venture to state that the more detached we are from our own good fortune or lack of it, the more we will be blest to share in the sufferings of others.  Galatians Chapter 6 "Bear one another's burdens, and so you will fulfill the law of Christ."

Heaps of paradoxes in our Christocentric spirituality.

Mark Chapter 10 "Jesus said, "Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for my sake and for the sake of the gospel who will not receive a hundred times more now in this present age: houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and eternal life in the age to come.

But many that are first will be last, and (the) last will be first."

(Operative in the quotation above from the Gospel of Mark is "with persecutions").

Edited by BarbaraTherese

catechism-of-the-catholic-church-200.jpg

Subscribe to "Catechism in a Year" http://flocknote.com/catechism

10. What is the value of private revelations?

While not belonging to the deposit of faith, private revelations may help a person to live the faith as long as they lead us to Christ. The Magisterium of the Church, which has the duty of evaluating such private revelations, cannot accept those which claim to surpass or correct that definitive Revelation which is Christ.  

Further reading: CCC 67

4cc959f416fddc873a7af1fbffbac637--cathol

Diary of St Faustina

http://www.simplecatholicliving.com/quotes/10-quotes-about-gods-mercy

"6. “Let the greatest sinners place their trust in My mercy. They have the right before others to trust in the abyss of My mercy. My daughter, write about My mercy towards tormented souls. Souls that make an appeal to My mercy delight Me. To such souls I grant even more graces than they ask. I cannot punish even the greatest sinner if he makes an appeal to My compassion, but on the contrary, I justify him in My unfathomable and inscrutable mercy. Write: before I come as a just judge, I first open wide the door of My mercy. He who refuses to pass through the door of My mercy must pass through the door of My justice…” (1146)"

img-Blessed-Frederic-Ozanam.jpg

Short Biography Frederic Ozenham - Founder St Vincent de Paul Society

Daily Reflection – January 9 - St Vincent de Paul Societ y

“When in charity we feel we must give some spiritual counsel, we must never be so egotistical as to expect a hungry man, or one distracted by worry over the rent to listen to our words about God until we have helped to relieve his misery.”

– Bl. Frederic Ozanam

0111-624x468.png

BIOGRAPHY

---oOo---

depression.jpg

Depression

Prayer of St Padre Pio "Stay with me Lord"

"Stay with me, Lord, for it is necessary......"

(I have this prayer written in the back of my Missal as a thanksgiving after Mass or Holy Communion)

Stay with me, Lord, for it is necessary to have you present so that I do not forget you. You know how easily I abandon you.
Stay with me, Lord, because I am weak, and I need your strength, so that I may not fall so often.
Stay with me, Lord, for you are my life, and without you, I am without fervor.
Stay with me, Lord, for you are my light, and without you, I am in darkness.
Stay with me, Lord, to show me your will.
Stay with me, Lord, so that I hear your voice and follow you.
Stay with me, Lord, for I desire to love you very much, and always be in your company.
Stay with me, Lord, if you wish me to be faithful to you.
Stay with me, Lord, for as poor as my soul is, I want it to be a place of consolation for you, a nest of love. Amen.
~St. Pio of Pietrelcina, Prayer After Communion

Can you see the holiness in those things you take for granted - a paved road or a washing machine? If you concentrate on finding what is good in every situation, you will discover that your life will suddenly be filled with gratitude, a feeling that nurtures the soul.

- Rabbi Harold Kushner

0112-624x468.png

Biography - St Margeurite Bourgeoys

God is always previous, God is always there first, and if you have any desire for God, and for the things of God, it is God himself who put it there.

- A. W. Tozer

0115-624x468.png

Vatican Biography - St Arnold Janssen

6a00d83451b36c69e201b7c8cd59ee970b-600wi

Saw my GP today, I am having another epidural injection in the facet joint on my left hand side.  I need to have it before I travel interstate to see my son and his wife on 26th February.  If it has a positive affect on the pain in my left leg, then when I come home, I will have another shot in the right hand side.  I need to have the first shot very soon as the first week at least might be the same kind of pain as when I had the shot for the narrowing of my spinal canal - and that was mainly a backache such as I have never experienced before.  Thankfully it does pass.

Thankfully too, Buddie is back to his normal diet - all diarrhoea now in the past.  Friday he has his arthritis shot.

Tomorrow I see my psychiatrist for my routine visit.

Laudate Dominum

Fiat Voluntas Tua

f406325073786eedd9188914bb4a9c15--st-the

6a00d83451b36c69e201b7c8cd59ee970b-600wi

My SD has sent me an email and will contact me at the end of the month to make a date to call out and see me.  His calling on me rather than the other way around spares me taxi fares.  Every so often I will send him an email updating where I might be at spiritually.

After my last email, Father sent back that I have had a heavy cross to bear, which of course is true in 'spiritual language'.  It also has a very sound basis in our theology.  However, I don't think of any problems and difficulties that way.   To me, my difficulties and problems are something Divine Providence has permitted for a very good reason(s) of which I am ignorant.  Those reasons might be connected to me, or it might be connected to something else.  While I also believe that mysteriously it always involves both.  My task to me is not to give things a 'holy tag', rather it is to work through as I can and leave the rest to God.  St Mary of The Cross MacKillop (our first Aussie saint) "Do what you can and leave the rest to God".

I simply do not think in terms of "difficult cross to bear". 

Matthew Chapter 11 "Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for your selves.For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."

Bad situations don’t have to make us bitter—they can make us better! God can use the good, the bad, the happy, the sad to mold us into the people He wants us to be. Our goal should be to focus not on what others do to us but what God will do through us. Rest assured, what others may intend for evil, God will use for good.

- Skip Heitzig

0116-624x468.png

Short Biography - St Joseph Vaz, first saint for Sri Lanka

0117-624x468.png

St Vincent de Paul Society

Daily Reflection – January 16

“Grace has its moments. Let us abandon ourselves to the providence of God and be very careful not to run ahead of it.”
– St. Vincent de Paul