An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Unbind our spiritual eyes, and ears oh lord that we may listen to what you have to say and show us and not that of our egos or the devil. Amen.

6a00d83451b36c69e201b7c8cd59ee970b-600wi

Saw my GP today and my right wrist is now in a brace (support with steel insert to hold wrist inert).  I have been referred to the spinal clinic, but will not be attending until I return from interstate.  I have to sleep with the brace and  splint on and also it is difficult to write and type, so I will be taking it off -  living alone it is impossible to keep the brace and splint on at all times.  My wrist is painful but the latter certainly lessens the pain in a major way.   Apparently the problem is tendonitis or perhaps carpal tunnel syndrome.  The spinal clinic will go back to my GP after my appointment with recommended treatment.   To date spinal injections have not helped much at all.  Deo Gratius.

I will be posting the reflection at some point from last Tuesday night's St Vinnies Parish Meeting as it is a quite short but very important reflection for lay people.

Deus Voluntas Tua

Laudate Dominum

Barb, I had both my wrists in that type of splint after a car accident...the splint helped, but it was cumbersome, I remember that well.  I found it helpful to take it off for a bit every day.  I also have tendonitis in my arms from years spent at the computer (I was a corporate writer before I retired).  I have to watch how I use my arms, and limit my computer time.

Wishing you safe travels later this month.

Called+to+be+holy.jpg

The following is what I said I would post from our last Vinnies Conference Meeting Reflection:

EVERY DEED IS HOLY

St John Paul II in his Apostolic Exhortation “Christifideles Laici”[2] (“Vocation and Mission of The Laity”) had this to say: “"The term secular must be understood in light of the act of God the creator and redeemer, who has handed over the world to women and men, so that they may participate in the work of creation, free creation from the influence of sin and sanctify themselves in marriage or the celibate life, in a family, in a profession and in the various activities of society"[39].For their work, prayers and apostolic endeavours, their ordinary married and family life, their daily labour, their mental and physical relaxation, if carried out in the Spirit, and even the hardships of life if patiently borne-all of these become spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ (cf. 1 Pt 2:5). During the celebration of the Eucharist these sacrifices are most lovingly offered to the Father along with the Lord's body. Thus as worshipers whose every deed is holy, the lay faithful consecrate the world itself to God[23]. Pius XII once stated: "The Faithful, more precisely the lay faithful, find themselves on the front lines of the Church's life;”

The late spiritual theologian Father Jordan Aumann, O.P[3] (Dominican) insisted that there never has been any true restoration of the Church not preceded by a widespread return to the heights and depths of prayer. Such prayer brings life to the Church and enlivens theology so that it can  fulfil its vital role.”

Deep prayer is the heartbeat, the life-blood, of the renewal of the Church.

[1] http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_jp-ii_exh_30121988_christifideles-laici.html

[2] Father Jordan Aumann OP (Dominican) is widely respected and accepted as a spiritual author of considerable note. He has authored numerous publications, located on this link with a short bio: http://opcentral.org/resources/2012/09/23/jordan-aumann-o-p-introduction/

J1RkbTJ.gif

Sound quality is not good in video on heroic virtue, too much background noise.  What I didn't embrace in the video is related to: "Bear ye one another's burdens".  If we do not share what the burden is, how can the other bear it?  Having shared the burden, one simply moves on in the unfoldings whatever they might be, detached from any investment in what the unfoldings might prove to be.

I woke this morning struggling with depression.  I sent off a prayer request to some Carmelite Nuns and very shortly after I hit SEND, the depression lifted and with much gratitude and thanksgiving on the run as I was able to get some things done that really needed doing.  This could be a direct action of God or it could be mind over matter in that I have great (huge, massive) confidence in Carmelite prayer.  No matter, The Lord is master of the direct and also of the indirect i.e. Divine Providence.   Nevertheless, I have contacted my psychiatrist.  "Common sense is the guide of the virtues" (St Albert, Ancient Rule of Carmel - Paragraph 24.) 

I thought the above video was a spot on very short summary indeed of the seven mansions of St Teresa of Avila.

Fiat Voluntas Tua

Laudate Dominum

Edited by BarbaraTherese

9 hours ago, Pax17 said:

Barb, I had both my wrists in that type of splint after a car accident...the splint helped, but it was cumbersome, I remember that well.  I found it helpful to take it off for a bit every day.  I also have tendonitis in my arms from years spent at the computer (I was a corporate writer before I retired).  I have to watch how I use my arms, and limit my computer time.

Wishing you safe travels later this month.

Thank you for sharing, Pax, with some really good advice.  "Common sense is the guide of all the virtues" (St Albert Ancient rule of Carmel Para 24)  Your tendonitis never healed completely then?  My sympathies indeed as it sounds as if it hasn't.  It is such a nuisance and I have a way to go before I can internalise what I do and do not do - and when and for how long.

The splint is cumbersome.  My annoying problem too seems to be that I was unable to get a black splint and had to buy an off white one - I have already had to wash it.  So I cut the fingers out of a pair of black gloves I have and that is protecting the splint from getting dirty too quickly, if it does prevent the breathing of the splint.

Thank you very much for the safe travel wishes.

Sharing a joke with you: If The Lord says to me "Depart from me, ye cursed", I am going to say "Now hang on a cotton pickin minute, Buster!" :saint:  And I do not think that I would be alone......perhaps only in the affront and cheekiness.  The nun that taught me used to say often to me: "You are as bold as brass and as brazen as you are bold".

God bless and thank you always for the input and sharing, the thoughtful wishes.

0216-624x468.png

Perfection does not consist in the knowledge of God’s order, but in submission to it. The order of God, the good pleasure of God, the will of God, the action of God, grace—all these are one and the same thing in this life… Perfection is nothing else than the faithful cooperation of the soul with the work of God. This ultimate purpose of our life grows and increases in our souls secretly and without our knowledge.

… Jean-Pierre de Caussade (1675-1751), Abandonment to Divine Providence

A life devoted unto God, looking wholly unto Him in all our actions, and doing all things suitably to His glory, is so far from being dull, and uncomfortable, that it creates new comforts in everything that we do.

… William Law (1686-1761), A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life [1728]

My splints were beige, and they still got dirty!  I like your idea with the gloves...as the saying goes, "Necessity is the mother of invention." Unfortunately, the tendonitis does recur, but doesn't get in the way too much...I'm learning to sculpt, so I have to go slowly to not trigger a flare-up.

LOL...I like sister's comment.  Were you a bold, young thing?  :smile2:

12 hours ago, Pax17 said:

My splints were beige, and they still got dirty!  I like your idea with the gloves...as the saying goes, "Necessity is the mother of invention." Unfortunately, the tendonitis does recur, but doesn't get in the way too much...I'm learning to sculpt, so I have to go slowly to not trigger a flare-up.

LOL...I like sister's comment.  Were you a bold, young thing?  :smile2:

My (foster) son has worked in age care and he told me about the black glove means of keeping the splint clean ... and it works!  And "beige" is a more apt description.  I am happy to read that your tendonitis while re-occurring is not overly problematic.  Sculpturing - I used to love it during my ill years - but now is many years since I attempted it.  Good luck and blessings on your lessons and I hope you will thoroughly enjoy the experience.  During my ill years in a psychiatric hospital, my psychiatrist used to sit and watch me work while talking to me.  My focus then was attempting to put the spirit of the parables into a sculpture in clay. I never learnt the art of preventing the sculpture from blowing up when being fired.

I never thought of myself as a "bold young thing", but if I had something to say then I said it no matter whom I was addressing, hindsight says.  If I was addressing Sister in class and she didn't like it, she would order me out the classroom to repeat her assessment and always the same one often. Another funny little tale is that I have the 'honour' of having been declared a heretic by an Archbishop to be:  The Archbishop at the time was a humble priest and inspector of schools.  Every question he posed, my hand shot up which is why Sister had put me at the very front.  But Father ignored me until finally, he walked up to me at my desk instructing me to stand up.  "Young lady, do you believe in transubstantion?"  I had never heard the word before and firmly replied "No, Father, I do not".  He replied "Sit down, heretic!".

My Mum had another short accusation she would often repeat: "You have more front than Foy and Gibsons".  I think I was probably full of confidence and outspoken back then.Those were the days when little children were expected in the main to be seen and not heard and Mum or Dad stating "Because I said so" was quite valid and accepted.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

73314d877fc1d50e5a66b9af23fb3b9d.jpg

Vincent's Quote of the Day - St Vincent de Paul Society

Quote of the Day – February 16

Oh, what great reason people of good will have to be cheerful (I:145).

Importance of Laughter: http://www.integratedcatholiclife.org/2011/10/dr-demarco-on-the-importance-of-laughter/

"Why do we laugh?  Life can wear people down.  When it becomes too heavy, we need to counteract gravity with levity.  Laughter unlocks, though only momentarily, the chains of responsibility.  It lifts us from the weightiness of life.  “Man laughs because he has a soul,” wrote Bishop Fulton J. Sheen, “hence, the more spiritual a person is, the more enjoyment there is in [his] life.  In this sense, humor is closely related to faith;  it bids us not to take anything too seriously.”

Edited by BarbaraTherese

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTh4lSr9g8Q2ZqjOmp-SCO

Had a real giggle with the following -

Sixteen Things the Chronically Ill Catholic Understands

https://epicpew.com/16-things-chronically-ill-catholics-understand/

When you open up about how you’re feeling, you’re almost certain to run across that one person who knows of a saint, or a laundry list of saints, who “had it so much worse.” Just because a saint, or anyone for that matter, has suffered more doesn’t mean you yourself are suffering less, or that you’re ungrateful. Illness should never be made into a game of who has out-suffered who.

In fact, it’s not “just” anything. Stress can make you feel like croutons, but maybe the reason that you seem stressed out is because you’re actually sick and it kind of smells of elderberries to feel sick all the time. There is no “just” about prolonged suffering and illness. It takes tons of time, energy, and pastoral counselling to deal with. Speaking of…

That “boom goes the dynamite” feeling when you admit to your priest that you aren’t dealing with your illness very well and he tells you “there’s a huge difference between understanding the human condition and accepting it.”

You think you alllllmost have this chronic illness thing all figured out, there’s just one more magical puzzle piece that needs to fall into place and you’ll be a Master of Living With Chronic Illness. Then your priest drops a bomb like this on you and you know you have a long way to go in uniting your sufferings with those of Jesus.

For some reason, people still seem to think that illnesses, especially mental illnesses, are caused purely by demonic possession, and one only needs to be exorcised to be cured. And these people have no qualms about telling you. However, your priest hasn’t detected any demonic activity and neither have you, so you’ll just stick with pastoral counseling, therapy, and prescribed meds for now thanks much.

Your knees and/or legs and/or energy have a knack for giving out during the Our Father and Sign of Peace, and right when you go to kneel for the Consecration. You have mastered the art of shaking hands from a sitting position, and deflecting the judgmental stares of adults and children alike.

Just knowing there’s someone in heaven who went through everything you’re going through now, and is constantly praying for you, makes even the bad days much better. Random people act like they know exactly what’s wrong with you when your doctors are totally stumped............

Through all the fatigue, pain, doctor visits, tests, hospital stays, awful med side effects, and frustration, you know that what seems overwhelming for you is child’s play for God to handle. Even in the midst of your suffering, He’s got this and has promised to turn it into something beautiful and glorious.

Glory-in-suffering-770x576.jpg

Change in attitude, perspective in the following:

The Affliction

George Herbert

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

"When first thou didst entice to thee my heart,
I thought the service brave;
So many joys I writ down for my part,
Besides what I might have
Out of my stock of natural delights,
Augmented with thy gracious benefits.

I looked on thy furniture so fine,
And made it fine to me;
Thy glorious household-stuff did me entwine,
And ‘tice me unto thee.
Such stars I counted mine: both heav’n and earth;
Paid me my wages in a world of mirth.

What pleasures could I want, whose King I serv’d,
Where joys my fellows were?
Thus argu’d into hopes, my thoughts reserv’d
No place for grief or fear.
Therefore my sudden soul caught at the place,
And made her youth and fierceness seek thy face.

At first thou gav’st me milk and sweetnesses;
I had my wish and way;
My days were straw’d with flow’rs and happiness;
There was no month but May.
But with my years sorrow did twist and grow,
And made a party unawares for woe.

My flesh began unto my soul in pain,
“Sicknesses cleave my bones;
Consuming agues dwell in ev’ry vein,
And tune my breath to groans.”
Sorrow was all my soul; I scarce believ’d,
Till grief did tell me roundly, that I liv’d.

When I got health, thou took’st away my life,
And more, for my friends die;
My mirth and edge was lost, a blunted knife
Was of more use than I.
Thus thin and lean without a fence or friend,
I was blown through with ev’ry storm and wind.

Whereas my birth and spirit rather took
The way that takes the town;
Thou didst betray me to a ling’ring book,
And wrap me in a gown.
I was entangled in the world of strife,
Before I had the power to change my life.

Yet, for I threaten’d oft the siege to raise,
Not simp’ring all mine age,
Thou often didst with academic praise
Melt and dissolve my rage.
I took thy sweet’ned pill, till I came where
I could not go away, nor persevere.

Yet lest perchance I should too happy be
In my unhappiness,
Turning my purge to food, thou throwest me
Into more sicknesses.
Thus doth thy power cross-bias me, not making
Thine own gift good, yet me from my ways taking.

Now I am here, what thou wilt do with me
None of my books will show;
I read, and sigh, and wish I were a tree,
For sure then I should grow
To fruit or shade: at least some bird would trust
Her household to me, and I should be just.

Yet, though thou troublest me, I must be meek;
In weakness must be stout;
Well, I will change the service, and go seek
Some other master out.
Ah my dear God! though I am clean forgot,
Let me not love thee, if I love thee not."

(Commentary: http://crossref-it.info/textguide/metaphysical-poets-selected-poems/4/885)