An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

words-to-live-by-11.jpg?w=630

But forgiveness is not an emotion... Forgiveness is an act of will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart.

- Corrie Ten Boom

Communication with God - prayer - is a two-way conversation! It is not just the voice of praise and petitions, but often communion . Sitting in silence with God, listening for whatever God may want to say. Simply enjoy the fact that He is, and you are, and you have a relationship with Him. These special moments with God are when His fresh breezes can enter your heart and refresh you.

- Anonymous

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRP9OqHMWfDaNTO4gsv87N

Dont be afraid!

to spend time with your parish priest

https://catholicexchange.com/dont-afraid-spend-time-priest?mc_cid=0cd7a9ea72&mc_eid=419cf29043

Excerpt: "Do not let fear or assumptions get in the way of the good of your parish priest’s company. Think about it this way, new relationships always have a level of awkwardness in the beginning. We all have to get our footing in new relationships whether it be co-workers, friends, or priests. These things take time to develop naturally, but they can’t develop if we stay locked up in fear or our own preconceived notions. Pray for fortitude and then find out the best way to set up dinner or some other event with them. It’s a great good for both the laity and the priests. Remember to be patient in the process with them and yourself. If we get out of the way, God will bless us immensely in the process."

Being now a woman who lives alone, I don't invite my parish priest to a meal.  A vastly different situation from when I was married, when Father was a dinner guest every week.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Calvin-Holiness_620.jpg

(I thought that the above was an excellent symbol for holiness i.e. through the cross)

"Holiness, always personal and over against the world"

https://www.catholicculture.org/commentary/otc.cfm?id=1546

By Dr. Jeff Mirus - Apr 20, 2018

Excerpt: "Note that the Pope speaks of happiness, not satisfaction. Holiness is always personally costly and always over against the world. This must be grasped in the Biblical sense, that is, in contrast to the dominant worldly opinions from which we derive so much reassurance and pride—and through which we are seduced into distancing ourselves ever further from the Kingdom of God."

(I was happily surprised too to see Catholic Culture come out in at least some support anyway of Pope Francis)

0422-624x468.png

vincent-and-louise-with-poor-children.pn

Daily Reflection – April 21 - St Vincent de Paul Society

“A fault may serve for our advancement when it serves to humble us.”
– St. Louise de Marillac

sx-e1469531024415.png

Only those who try to live near God and have formed thehabit of faithfulness to Him in the small things of ourdaily life, can hope in times of need for that special light which shows us our path. To do as well as we can the job immediately before us, is the way to learn what we ought to do next. 

- Evelyn Underhill (1875-1941)

Edited by BarbaraTherese

0423-624x468.png

I really liked the above - it gave me a big smile in a day of

plenty of mea maxima culpas!

ccc_ceolson-678x380.jpg

Catechism in a Year

Subscribe: http://flocknote.com/catechism

Notice the important phrase below "in union with The Pope"

182. What is the mission of the Pope?

The Pope, Bishop of Rome and the Successor of Saint Peter, is the perpetual, visible source and foundation of the unity of the Church. He is the vicar of Christ, the head of the College of bishops and pastor of the universal Church over which he has by divine institution full, supreme, immediate, and universal power.

Further reading: CCC 880-882, 936-937

183. What is the competence of the college of bishops?

The college of bishops in union with the Pope, and never without him, also exercises supreme and full authority over the Church.

Further reading: CCC 883-885

184. How do the bishops carry out their mission of teaching?

Since they are authentic witnesses of the apostolic faith and are invested with the authority of Christ, the bishops in union with the Pope have the duty of proclaiming the Gospel faithfully and authoritatively to all. By means of a supernatural sense of faith, the people of God unfailingly adhere to the faith under the guidance of the living Magisterium of the Church.

Further reading: CCC 888-890, 939

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Make-mistakes.-Learn-from-them.-Move-on.

Instead of allowing yourself to be so unhappy, just let your love grow as God wants it to grow. Seek goodness in others. Love more persons more—love them more impersonally, more unselfishly, without thought of return. The return, never fear, will take care of itself. 

… Henry Drummond (1851-1897)

450-497959252-cliche-bad-apple.jpg

We have forgotten that evil is infectious, as infectious as small-pox; and we do not perceive that if we allow whole departments of our life to become purely secular, and to create and maintain moral or immoral standards on their own, in time the whole of life is bound to become corrupt.

… G. A. Studdert Kennedy (1883-1929), The Wicket Gate

0425-624x468.png

giphy.gif

After 12 good years free of serious episodes of bipolar necessitating hospitalization, I now realise that I am faced with another major life challenge - a physical challenge.  My mobility is severely affected with constant pain at some level or other.  I am no saint, no hero, and despite prayer and hope, difficult for me episodes of pain are NOT met with an air of serene acceptance.

No way!   Not me!

Rather I get into foul moods which have a negative affect on those around me.   But I don't realise it until the event or events are over.  I would just have to portray the classic example of a bad tempered old lady.  So the goal I am setting myself prayerfully with hope is for the absolutely and totally unearned gift of serene acceptance making life easier on me but far more importantly easier on others.  It would be easier for me for the simple reason that the dreadful guilt I experience after an events or events of overt bad temper go very hard indeed on me.  Poor me.  My hope is that since to date I cannot bear any pain with serene acceptance, perhaps I can learn something about humility.  The thought just struck me that if I did bear the pain with serene acceptance, I might very well fall into the dreadful sin of pride.  Sort of a spiritual Catch 22, loss if you do and loss if you don't.   A spiritual paradox and we have plenty of them in Catholic spirituality. Well, anyway, I lean always on Divine Providence and undoubtedly Divine Providence has very good and sound reasons.  Amen.

My only very lonely plus and a totally unearned Gift of Grace, is that I do apologise to others once I realise what I have been doing that is..........although cold comfort for them after having to go through one of my episodes of bad temper.  I had a warm experience today when apologising to a young shop assistant who had witnessed one of my bouts.  When I first approached him, he looked afraid - when I apologised for my behaviour, a great big smile lit up his face.

Please say a prayer for me.

After a quick Google looking for a patron saint for a bad temper, I discovered that St Vincent de Paul - of all things -  "was cantankerous" https://catholicexchange.com/st-vincent-de-paul-ordinary-saint

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Meister-Eckhart-Quotes-2-1024x533.jpg

Let God operate in you; hand the work over to Him and do not disquiet yourself as to whether or no He is working with nature or above nature, for His are both nature and grace. 
- Meister Eckhart (1260-1327)

0426-624x468.png

51cnBdpCzjL.jpg

“Don’t set your heart on something less valuable than you yourself are. If you do that, you surrender your dignity because—remember—people come to resemble what they love.” 

- Catherine of Siena 

44d70fa196c699f476af0e55bedb2746.jpg
 Venerable Pius XII, Pope from 1939 to 1958
Pius XII Radio message 23 March 1952 (20th April 1952, rev.)

Christ, the Way, the Truth and the Life, is the light of the conscience

The conscience is man’s most interior and intimate core. That is where he takes refuge with his spiritual faculties in complete solitude: alone with himself or, rather, alone with God whose voice is to be heard in the conscience. That is where he decides good or evil, that is where he chooses the path of victory or defeat. Even if he wanted to, man could not succeed in getting rid of it. With it, whether it approves or whether it condemns, he makes his way along the entire path of life, and again, with it, the truthful and incorruptible witness, he presents himself before the judgment seat of God.

Thus conscience is a sanctuary on the threshold of which everyone must halt, everyone, even fathers or mothers in the case of a child. Priests alone enter there as physicians of souls, but the conscience does not cease to be a jealously guarded sanctuary for all that, of which God Himself desires the privacy should be preserved under the seal of the most sacred of silences. In what sense can one speak of the education of conscience? Our divine Savior has brought his truth and his grace to ignorant and weak mankind: truth to show him the way that leads to his goal; grace to confer on him the strength for being able to attain it. Christ is the Way, the Truth and the Life, not just for everyone taken together but for each one individually.

From Daily Gospel.org

Sprituality.png

The term spirit comes from the Old French word espirit from the Latin word spiritus meaning "soul, courage, vigour or breath", and is itself related to spirare, meaning "to breathe".

In the 4th century translation of the bible, the Latin word spiritus is .......... Read on HERE