An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

Catechism in a Year

428. Are we called to Christian holiness?

All the faithful are called to Christian holiness. This is the fullness of Christian life and the perfection of charity and it is brought about by intimate union with Christ and, in him, with the most Holy Trinity. The path to holiness for a Christian goes by way of the cross and will come to its fulfillment in the final resurrection of the just, in which God will be all in all.

I thought the following was rather a positive sort of article in dealing with life's bumps and to keep going despite the bumps - from a psychological point of view-

https://www.positivelypositive.com/2012/07/01/true-positive-thinking-is-not-the-absence-of-negative-thoughts/

True Positive Thinking is Not

the Absence of

Negative Thoughts

"The key is to embrace reality without losing hope. That’s true positive thinking in action"

(My comment: Feelings most often are not good guides at all.  They are not the whole of us while they are a part of us and we need to own that part, rather than deny)

0914-624x468.png

---o0o---

"Happiness With Who and Where You Are Now"

https://catholicexchange.com/happiness-with-who-and-where-you-are-now?mc_cid=707647012c&mc_eid=39e1626b60

Excerpt: "The desires will often return but we have a built-in solution within us. A solution that God has given us, if we ask Him for it.

To help you be happy and content with who and where you are now.

Daily Mass Online

Australia

15th. September 2018

Universalis

Lauds (Morning Prayer)

Feast Our Lady of Sorrows

http://universalis.com/lauds.htm

---O0O---

STABAT MATER

At the Cross her station keeping,
stood the mournful Mother weeping,
close to her Son to the last.

Through her heart, His sorrow sharing,
all His bitter anguish bearing,
now at length the sword has passed.

O how sad and sore distressed
was that Mother, highly blest,
of the sole-begotten One.

Christ above in torment hangs,
she beneath beholds the pangs
of her dying glorious Son.

Is there one who would not weep,
whelmed in miseries so deep,
Christ's dear Mother to behold?

Can the human heart refrain
from partaking in her pain,
in that Mother's pain untold?

For the sins of His own nation,
She saw Jesus wracked with torment,
All with scourges rent:

She beheld her tender Child,
Saw Him hang in desolation,
Till His spirit forth He sent.

O thou Mother! fount of love!
Touch my spirit from above,
make my heart with thine accord:

Make me feel as thou hast felt;
make my soul to glow and melt
with the love of Christ my Lord.

Holy Mother! pierce me through,
in my heart each wound renew
of my Savior crucified:

Let me share with thee His pain,
who for all my sins was slain,
who for me in torments died.

Let me mingle tears with thee,
mourning Him who mourned for me,
all the days that I may live:

By the Cross with thee to stay,
there with thee to weep and pray,
is all I ask of thee to give.

Virgin of all virgins blest!,
Listen to my fond request:
let me share thy grief divine;

Let me, to my latest breath,
in my body bear the death
of that dying Son of thine.

Wounded with His every wound,
steep my soul till it hath swooned,
in His very Blood away;

Be to me, O Virgin, nigh,
lest in flames I burn and die,
in His awful Judgment Day.

Christ, when Thou shalt call me hence,
be Thy Mother my defense,
be Thy Cross my victory;

While my body here decays,
may my soul Thy goodness praise,
Safe in Paradise with Thee.

our_lady_of_sorrows_gird.jpg

Catholic Education.org - OUR LADY OF SORROWS (Originally Our Lady of Compassion)

0916-624x468.png

"Let us honor His poverty, at least by our moderation, if we do not do so by total imitation" (St Vincent de Paul: III:526).

057ab03ad59fa90243f878bf796c7cf4.jpg

"The Worthiness of Work"

People say: “Be like Christ.”  Fine.  He started out a carpenter. Let’s start at home.  Or better yet, at work.

___https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2018/09/15/the-worthiness-of-work/_____

Excerpts from full text, see link above.

One might hope that Catholics would distinguish themselves by embracing this vision about the nobility of any good, honest work.  But I wonder.  How many Catholic parents are as proud when their sons or daughters take lower paying jobs? How many wish they could boast that their son or daughter is a highly-paid executive rather than a Catholic high-school teacher?

. There are jobs that simply can’t be sent overseas or given to a robot.  One is taking care of your baby.  Another is laying bricks for a wall.  A third is fixing your plumbing.  A fourth is wiring an electrical socket in your house.  A fifth is making the bed up in your hotel room.  Every executive in the C-suite can be replaced before you can replace the people who do those jobs.

Consider all the people who do such jobs – jobs that provide real value for people, jobs that make your life so much better –

and be thankful.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1nAOFDfD6payDjgTys98

My physical disabilities have limited me sufficiently that commencing in October next month, I will be receiving Holy Communion at home.  I am not sick, just finding real difficulty in getting around.

Bit of a blow just now at the commencement of a new journey in the journey.

0917rout-fr-paul-rout-TheCatholicLeader_

"LACK OF WISDOM"

Fr Paul Rout OFM, an Australian priest who lectures in Franciscan Spirituality at the University of London, gave a talk earlier this month for the World day of Prayer for the Care of Creation at the Australian Catholic University in Brisbane.

“We are in danger of knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing,” Fr Rout said.

“Wisdom comes about through our values, and not everything can be explained by the scientific method of enquiry.”

Fr Rout pointed to political institutions as an example of this imbalance.

“We see a lack .................read MORE http://cathnews.com/cathnews/33106-wisdom-decreases-as-scientific-knowledge-grows

0917-624x468.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJKIqukZtuCzDzmRlnoLI

Pope Francis

Angelus Address: On the Question: ‘Who is Jesus?’

https://zenit.org/articles/angelus-address-on-the-question-who-is-jesus/

Before questioning the Twelve directly, Jesus wants to hear from them what the people think of Him — and He knows well that the disciples are very sensitive to the Master’s popularity! Therefore, He asks: ”Who do men say that I am?” (v. 27). It emerges that the people consider Jesus a great prophet. But, in reality, He isn’t interested in people’s opinion polls and gossip. He isn’t interested either in His disciples responding to His questions with ready-made formulas, quoting famous personalities of Sacred Scriptures, because a faith that is reduced to formulas is a myopic faith.

The Lord wants His disciples of yesterday and of today to establish a personal relationship with Him, and thus receive Him at the center of their life. Therefore He spurs them to put themselves in all truth before themselves, and asks: ”But who do you say that I am?” (v. 29). Today, Jesus asks this direct and confidential question to each one of us: “Who do you say that I am?” Who do you all say that I am? Who am I for you? Each one is called to answer, in his heart, allowing himself to be illumined by the light that the Father gives us to know His Son, Jesus. And it can also happen to us, as with Peter, to affirm enthusiastically: “You are the Christ.” However, when Jesus says clearly to us what He said to the disciples, namely, that His mission is carried out not on the wide path of success, but on the arduous pathway of the suffering Servant, humiliated, rejected and crucified, then it can happen to us also, as to Peter, to protest and rebel because this is opposed to our expectations. In those moments, we also deserve Jesus’ salutary rebuke: “Get behind me, Satan! For you are not on the side of God, but of men” (v. 33).

Brothers and sisters, the profession of faith in Jesus Christ can’t stop at words, but calls to be authenticated by concrete choices and gestures, by a life marked by love of God, of a great life, of a life with much love for one’s neighbor. Jesus says to us that to follow Him, to be His disciples, it’s necessary to deny oneself (cf. v. 34), that is, the claims of our egoistic pride, and take up our own cross. Then He gives all a fundamental rule. And what is this rule? “Whoever would save his life will lose it.” Often in life, for many reasons, we mistake the way, seeking happiness only in things, or in persons that we treat as things. However, we only find happiness when true love encounters us, surprises us and changes us. Love changes everything! And love can also change us, each one of us. The testimonies of the Saints demonstrate it.