An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

0611-624x468.png

Prayer-to-Teresa-of-Avila.jpg

This simple prayer of St. Teresa of Avila can calm your nerves when you’re afraid or anxious

Her poetic words can soothe the heart when it is troubled.

Fear is a common feeling that we all encounter on a daily basis. It might be the fear of giving a presentation at work or school, or the fear of losing your loved one during a severe illness. Whatever fear or anxiety you might feel, God is here to help lift that burden.

Jesus himself said, “Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:29-30).

God desires peace in your life and one of the most effective ways of finding that peace is invoking his aid. He wants to help you, but our hearts must be open to that divine assistance.

St. Teresa of Avila wrote a beautiful poem during her lifetime that has been used as a prayer throughout the centuries. It is simple in its format, which is why many turn to it in times of distress. If you are feeling afraid or anxious right now, consider praying this prayer, opening your heart to God and adding your own words, invoking God’s help in your hour of need.

Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing away:
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things
Whoever has God lacks nothing;
God alone suffices.

free-will1.jpg

A SOCIAL CONSCIENCE

Australia's ABC Channel 2 "Foreign Correspondent" The Dome

Broadcast date: 27th November 2017

Rising sea levels threaten to flush a vast stash of highly radioactive plutonium into the Pacific Ocean. But thats not the only toxic fallout from a legacy of nuclear tests. ........duration: 42 minute

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/foreign-correspondent (Scroll down to "The Dome")

(From 27.29mins: How US soldiers were exposed to one of the most toxic substances known, the result of a bomb test gone wrong).

Theology-1-1.jpg

Theology Note - Faith

"Now faith is theassurance of things hoped for, theconviction of things not seen" (Heb. 11:1). It is synonymous with trust. It is a divine gift (Rom. 12:3) and comes by hearing theWord of God (Rom. 10:17). It is themeans by which thegrace of God is accounted to thebeliever who trusts inthe work of Jesus (Eph. 2:8). 

may_300x300.jpg?v=1515776815

What happened?

A woman went to thebeach with her children. Her 4-year-old son ran up to her, grabbed her hand, and led her to the shore where adead seagull lay inthe sand. "Mommy, what happened to him?" the little boy asked. 

"He died and went to heaven," she replied.The child thought for a moment and said, 

"And God threw him back down?"

Both the above from: A Daily Spirit Seed http://dailyspiritualseed.blogspot.com/

Edited by BarbaraTherese

50477-dove-stainedglass--holyspirit.1200w.tn.jpg

CATECHISM IN A YEAR

Subscribe: http://flocknote.com/catechism

267. What is the essential rite of Confirmation?

The essential rite of Confirmation is the anointing with Sacred Chrism (oil mixed with balsam and consecrated by the bishop), which is done by the laying on of the hand of the minister who pronounces the sacramental words proper to the rite. In the West this anointing is done on the forehead of the baptized with the words, "Be sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit". In the Eastern Churches of the Byzantine rite this anointing is also done on other parts of the body with the words, "The seal of the gift of the Holy Spirit".

Further reading: CCC 1290-1301, 1318, 1320-1321

268. What is the effect of Confirmation?

The effect of Confirmation is a special outpouring of the Holy Spirit like that of Pentecost. This outpouring impresses on the soul an indelible character and produces a growth in the grace of Baptism. It roots the recipient more deeply in divine sonship, binds him more firmly to Christ and to the Church and reinvigorates the gifts of the Holy Spirit in his soul. It gives a special strength to witness to the Christian faith.

Further reading: CCC 1302-1305, 1316-1317

SEVEN GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

AT CONFIRMATION

(Further reading: https://www.catholic.com/magazine/print-edition/the-seven-gifts-of-the-holy-spirit )

Wisdom is both the knowledge of and judgment about "divine things" and the ability to judge and direct human affairs according to divine truth (I/I.1.6; I/II.69.3; II/II.8.6; II/II.45.1–5). 

Understanding is penetrating insight into the very heart of things, especially those higher truths that are necessary for our eternal salvation—in effect, the ability to "see" God (I/I.12.5; I/II.69.2; II/II.8.1–3). 

Counsel allows a man to be directed by God in matters necessary for his salvation (II/II.52.1). 

Fortitude denotes a firmness of mind in doing good and in avoiding evil, particularly when it is difficult or dangerous to do so, and the confidence to overcome all obstacles, even deadly ones, by virtue of the assurance of everlasting life (I/II.61.3; II/II.123.2; II/II.139.1). 

Knowledge is the ability to judge correctly about matters of faith and right action, so as to never wander from the straight path of justice (II/II.9.3). 

Piety is, principally, revering God with filial affection, paying worship and duty to God, paying due duty to all men on account of their relationship to God, and honoring the saints and not contradicting Scripture. The Latin word pietas denotes the reverence that we give to our father and to our country; since God is the Father of all, the worship of God is also called piety (I/II.68.4; II/II.121.1). 

Fear of God is, in this context, "filial" or chaste fear whereby we revere God and avoid separating ourselves from him—as opposed to "servile" fear, whereby we fear punishment (I/II.67.4; II/II.19.9).

Edited by BarbaraTherese

It is now over 2 weeks ago since the event that shook me up and somewhat disturbed my bipolar condition - see above post.

At the end of this month, my budget should at last go from the red into the black.  I will be seeing my SD early in July.  I had contacted Father via email for an appointment and he had rung me twice - I had missed the calls.  I tied my mobile around my neck, apologised to Father via email and advised that now my mobile went with me everywhere.

I got through to Father on the third call and made my appointment.

Because of the event that shook me disturbing Bipolar, I decided I would attend Mass in another parish.   I contacted my foster son who goes to Mass now and then and he will take me to Mass either weekly or fortnightly.  He does have a half hour drive here and back.  Because my budget is now giving me a surplus again, I can afford the taxi fare if for some reason he is unable to call.   He called last weekend with a house mate of his, who was raised and educated Catholic, but had lapsed.  He will be coming to Mass with us too.  After Mass, I will cook dinner for us.  Thus, something that was very negative two weeks ago has turned out to be something quite positive.

We do not always understand why The Lord permits something negative to occur in our life - but in this instance I did see the potential why of it all.  Probably, even most often, we do not see the why of it all but know in the Doctrine of Divine Providence that there is a why and The Lord's good reasons which are hidden from us.  It is a matter of confident trust.

Because I think it was the right thing to do, I sent an email to my parish priest that I would be attending Sunday Mass at a late afternoon Mass on a Sunday and with my foster son.  There is no Sunday late afternoon Mass in his parish.  I need to go to another parish.  I did not tell Father of the event that triggered my decision - and again, because I considered that the right thing to do.  I am determined, with God's Grace and Help, not to speak ill of others.

Deo Gratius

Laudate Dominum

CHAT

At the end of this month, my budget should at last go from the red into the black.  I will be seeing my SD early in July.  I had contacted Father for an appointment and he had rung me twice - I had missed the calls.  I tied my mobile around my neck, apologised to Father via email and advised that now my mobile went with me everywhere.

I got through to Father on his third call and made my appointment.  Father thought it quite funny that my mobile was now tied around my neck and went with me everywhere.

Something that upset my apple cart about 2 weeks ago triggered my decision to attend Mass at another Church.  I contacted my foster son who goes to Mass now and then and he will take me to Mass.  He called last weekend with a house mate of his  who was raised and educated Catholic, but had lapsed for 30 years.  He might be coming to Mass with us too, after which I will cook dinner.  Thus, something that was very negative two weeks ago has turned out to be something quite positive. 

Probably very often or even most often, we have no idea why The Lord has permitted something negative in our life.  It becomes a matter of trust that He has permitted it for very good reasons.  In the above instance as it began to unfold further, I think I possibly know the reason, but that does not happen very often at all - in the main it is a matter of trust.

---o0o---

I am currently reading (only one third into the book and like it thus far) on Kindle a book by M. Scott Peck (psychiatrist) "The Road Less Travelled".  What follows is an excerpt of what a Franciscan brother had to state about it on Catholic Answers - Brother JR's whole post is worth a read - see link below :

"Peck’s book, The Road Less Traveled, is an excellent primer for those who study mystical theology. It is still requiered reading at the pontifical schools of theology in the spirituality and mystical theology faculties, including those in Rome, where I graduated...........

.......The other positive of this work, which mystical thelogians like very much, is the fact that Peck does get into the correlation between healthy spirituality and healthy mind. This is very important for the study of the mystics. He demonstrates that healthy mysticism is part of good mental health. For those who would question the sanity of someone like a Francis of Assisi, who can look like a neurotic to the 21st century mind, Peck’s work shows you that in fact this kind of thinking is part of a very healthy personality. People like Francis of Assisi, or groups like the Carthusians, or movements like the penitential movement of St. Teresa of Avila or the contemplative movement of John of the Cross or even the mendicant movement of Bl. Teresa of Calcuta are actually rooted in a healthy worldview and an even more healthy sense of self and one’s relationship with the Divine.."   https://forums.catholic.com/t/book-the-road-less-travelled-by-m-scott-peck/167530/5?u=barbth

power-of-prayer.jpg

Encouragements for prayer

There is no true, deep conversion, no true, deep holiness, no clothing with the Holy Spirit and with power, no abiding peace or joy, without being daily alone with God. What an inestimable privilege is the institution of daily secret prayer to begin every morning. Let it be one thing that our hearts are set on.

- Andrew Murray

It is impossible to live the life of a disciple without definite times of secret prayer. You will find that the place to enter in is in your business, as you walk along the streets, in the ordinary ways of life, when no one dreams you are praying, and the reward comes openly, a revival here, a blessing there.

- Oswald Chambers

Five Precepts of The Church

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_P75.HTM

BEST SHORT FILM OF INTERNATIONAL CATHOLIC FILM FESTIVAL

(Published on YouTube in 2016)

Taken from Comments:

Annette Bejany1 year ago

I liked the added moral dilemma of the priest's lie. For those of you who feel that it sends the wrong message, well I disagree. Things are messy down on this earth. We strive for perfection, but seldom do, say, think or feel what is exactly in line with God's holy will . The priest is human and the ending shows that even the priest is in need of God's mercy.

giphy.gif

Watched a documentary video about the comedian, Garry Shandling.  In his diary and after his brother's death he wrote: "Stay with the pain and walk through it".   He was speaking about grief, but it can be applied to all emotions in life.  I thought it was an important statement about dealing with emotions.  Emotions themselves are ammoral, they are neither right nor wrong.  It is what I do with my emotions that introduces morality and my consequent action(s) related to emotional content makes for right or wrong.

Emotions are not going to kill me, but they can be extremely painful.  It is no easy task to permit them to be without struggling against them, or trying to get rid of them in some way.  It is not easy but decidedly challenging to continue with life as if nothing dramatic at all is occuring within.  To stay with smiling and being kind and unselfish as one's emotional self is in very real pain.

The miracle of Grace is that over time that turmoil and emotional content will simply slip away without any effort of oneself at all, other than allowing them to be - for as long as they are.

However, if the emotional content becomes unduly difficult to bear and begins to affect negatively one's normal life, then it is time to seek therapy or a counsellor.  How do you know that that time is now - well in reality you don't, you only suspect that it is and that is absolutely good enough to seek out help.  It is perfectly legitimate and valid to state to a counsellor or therapist: "I don't know if I need your help or not, but.........." and tell them your story.  The facilitator (counsellor or therapist) will take up things from there.

The important thing in the whole of life and all its challenges is prayer and trust.  That reminds me of so called 'joke' I heard along the way:  A man was drowning and two boats came buy to assist, but the man refused assistance, because he was relying on God alone to help him.  He drowned and went to Heaven and asked God why had God not helped him.  God replied that He had sent two boats to help him, but the man refused God's help.

Therapy, counsellors, doctors, medications are all Gifts of God.  Like most all of God's Gifts, they can be abused - but they are gifted by God to help us in the struggle against suffering in life.  Suffering is an evil, but Jesus has overcome evil and suffering can be redemptive, holy, united to Him.

In life, as Catholic Christians, we are engaged in the battle with the world, the flesh and the devil. "I have told you this so that you might have peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world" (John Chapter 16)

There are two sentences in Scripture that speak loudly to me, one from the Old Testament and one from the New:

"Turn away from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it." (Psalm 34)

"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled; do not be afraid. " (John Chapter 14)    Peace is something we already have - but not as the world defines it.  One can be in Peace even in the midst of problems and troubles, while the world defines peace as the absence of problems and troubles.  The Peace Jesus gives us does not mean that we do not have problems and/or troubles and that we might feel them to the core of our being painfully; however strangely one is still at Peace - and that would be the near perfection in this life of the Gift of Peace of Jesus.  Therefore, "seek after Peace and pursue it".  A powerful advocate and preserver of the Gift of Peace of Jesus is His mother whose immaculate heart was always at Peace, even as she humanly agonized at the foot of the cross of her Son.

Be content and at Peace to be wherever one might be without regard to better or best - and trust Jesus and His mother to bring one to that level of perfection for which one is created.........nothing more nor less.

133cd59144601bb623829c2bac69ce86.jpg

True solitude, IMO, is not something we can do or acquire, it is all gift, all is Grace. 

"There is absolutely no substitute for this secret communion with God. The public Church services, or even the family altar, cannot take the place of the ‘closet’ prayer. We must deliberately seek to meet with God absolutely alone, and to secure such aloneness with God we are bidden to enter into thy 'closet.’ God absolutely insists on this ‘closet’-communion with Himself. One reason, no doubt, that He demands it, is to test our sincerity. There is no test for the soul like solitude. Do you shrink from solitude? 

IMO, true solitude is wherever it is found.

Saint Augustine (354-430), Bishop of Hippo (North Africa) and Doctor of the Church
Commentary on the Sermon on the Mount, Bk. II, 3, 11

"Pray to your Father in secret"

Jesus says, “When you pray, go into your chamber.” Now, what are these chambers but the heart signified in the Psalm where it is said: “The things you say in your hearts, be sorry for in your room." He then continues: “And closing the doors, pray in secret to our Father.” Our entering the room is not enough if the door is left open to the importunate, for external things enter brazenly in through this door, and lay hold on our interior affections. Temporal and visible penetrate through this door, that is, one of the senses, they enter our thoughts and by a swarm of fancies noisily disturb us while engaged in prayer. Therefore, the door must be closed; that is to say, the bodily sense must be resisted, so that a wholly spiritual prayer may be offered to the Father. For this prayer is formed in the depths of the heart where a man prays in secret to the Father. “And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you…”

The Lord does not admonish us to pray but teaches us how to pray, just as the preceding passage does not admonish us to give alms but tells us what our intention ought to be when we are giving them. This is due to the fact that he demands the purity of heart that one can only obtain by a continuous and undivided striving for eternal life through no other motive than a pure love of wisdom.

---o0o---

I am not going to pick on St Augustine for sure :smile4:  More is probably said in the above by what is inferred.

giphy.gif

PRECONCEIVED EXPECTATIONS

Every moment all is new, when preconceptions are no more.
 - The "Logic" of Happiness

How many times do we miss God's blessings because they are not packaged as we expected?
 - Anonymous

Vocation.jpeg

All that follows are only my opinions and thoughts:

Vocation is about considering who I am and the Gifts I have from God and this includes my personal circumstances. 

Very broadly speaking indeed, there are three indications for vocation:

Attraction to the life

Ability to live the life

Acceptance into the life

The above three are not some accident in life, they are Gifts of God.  In the above,  "the life" remains something God Gifts me free to choose.  I then consider the various roles or vocations in The Church and choose.  Acceptance into the life cannot be determined until I am actually accepted into a certain way of life by that way of life.

I tend to think that sometimes God's Will is implied as something mysterious and hidden, esoteric - a complex matter in need of much labour and introspection - as against something quite simple to discern.  The Good God asks us to do good and avoid evil or as in the Book of Micah: "You have been told, O man, what is good, and what the LORD requires of you: Only to do right and to love goodness, and to walk humbly with your God." (Micah Chapter 6)

Within the parameters of doing good, a particular vocation is an invitation and not a Divine Command.  If I have the three very broad indications of vocation as above, I can be confident of doing good and justice to God's Gifts to me (the invitation) in the way of life or role I choose as my life commitment, my path in goodness in the footsteps of Jesus.  As The Goodness of God is expressed in endless diversity and degrees, so doing good in this life can be expressed in great diversity and degrees (e.g. including in the particular vocation and call).

Commitment is another very important matter.  As God Faithfully Commits Himself to me in all circumstances no matter my state of soul, so in imitation of His Goodness, I commit myself to a certain way in life of goodness and in all unfolding circumstances.  If I should happen to have employment or a career, I then commit myself to do good also within those parameters.

For those who might be temporarily, or choose for life, celibacy in the laity: "They (laity) exercise the apostolate in fact by their activity directed to the evangelization and sanctification of men and to the penetrating and perfecting of the temporal order through the spirit of the Gospel. In this way, their temporal activity openly bears witness to Christ and promotes the salvation of men. Since the laity, in accordance with their state of life, live in the midst of the world and its concerns, they are called by God to exercise their apostolate in the world like leaven, with the ardor of the spirit of Christ." (Apostolicam actuositaten - Decree on Apostolate of The Laity)