An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

"O woman, great is your faith!"

Julian of Vézelay (c.1080-c.1160)
Benedictine monk
Sermon 17 (SC 193, p. 373)

“It is not right to take the food of the children and throw it to the dogs.” The woman took up his words and said: “Yes, Lord!” As though she were saying:... “As for me, I'm only asking for a little crumb off the table and from the hand of the generous master who 'gives food to all flesh' (Ps 136[135]:25). You treat the Jews to a meal like sons and that's why I'm begging you not to refuse a tiny crumb to your little Canaanite dog!”

Jesus said to her: “Oh woman, great is your faith!” He reproaches Peter for his little faith (Mt 14,31); as for this woman, he admires her for the greatness of hers. And she really does have great faith since she proclaims that the Word made flesh is the son of David and, certain of divine power, trusts in his ability to restore her absent daughter to health – and this by one act of his will.

And you, too, if your faith is great and if it is that living faith by which the righteous live (Rom 1:17) and not a dead faith from which the soul, that is to say charity, is lacking: you, too, will not only obtain the complete healing of your daughter, that is to say your soul, but will have the power to move mountains (cf. Mt 17:20).

From Daily Gospel.org https://dailygospel.org/AM/gospel

5a9f77fdad.jpg

9 August - Optional Memorial

ST EDITH STEIN

https://www.franciscanmedia.org/the-life-and-legacy-of-edith-stein/

---O0O---

From: Second Reading - Office of Readings 9th August 2018

"This love of ours for Christ is a sort of return, though not equal to his love for us; and it is a copy, a likeness of his. For he first loved us, and by the example of love that he sets before us, he has become a seal by which we are moulded to his image — putting off the likeness of the earthly and bearing that of the heavenly, loving him as we are loved. In this he leaves us an example, that we may follow in his footsteps.

That is why he says: ‘Set me as a seal on your heart.’ As though to say: Love me, as I love you; have me in your mind, in your memory, in your desire; in your sighing, your groaning, your weeping. Remember, man, in what state I fashioned you, how far I preferred you before the rest of creatures, the dignity with which I ennobled you; how I crowned you with glory and honour, made you a little less than the angels, and subjected all things under your feet. Remember not only the great things I did for you, but what harsh indignities I bore on your behalf; and see if you are not acting wickedly against me, if you do not love me. For who loves you as I love you? Who created you, if not I? Who redeemed you, if not I?

Lord, take away from me the heart of stone, a heart shrunken and uncircumcised — take it away and give me a new heart, a heart of flesh, a clean heart. You cleanse our heart and love the heart that is clean — possess my heart and dwell in it, both holding it and filling it. You surpass what is highest in me, and yet are within my inmost self! Pattern of beauty and seal of holiness, mould my heart in your likeness: mould my heart under your mercy, God of my heart and God my portion for ever. Amen."

From Second Reading - Office of Readings 10th August 2018

So let us understand how Christians ought to follow Christ, short of the shedding of blood, short of the danger of suffering death. The Apostle says, speaking of the Lord Christ, Who, though he was in the form of God, did not think it robbery to be equal to God. What incomparable greatness! But he emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, and being made in the likeness of men, and found in condition as a man. What unequalled humility!

Christ humbled himself: you have something, Christian, to latch on to. Christ became obedient. Why do you behave proudly? After running the course of these humiliations and laying death low, Christ ascended into heaven: let us follow him there. Let us listen to the Apostle telling us, If you have risen with Christ, savour the things that are above us, seated at God’s right hand.

---o0o---

First Reading at Mass

10th August 2018

2 Corinthians 9:6-10 

God loves a cheerful giver

Do not forget: thin sowing means thin reaping; the more you sow, the more you reap. Each one should give what he has decided in his own mind, not grudgingly or because he is made to, for God loves a cheerful giver. And there is no limit to the blessings which God can send you – he will make sure that you will always have all you need for yourselves in every possible circumstance, and still have something to spare for all sorts of good works. As scripture says: He was free in almsgiving, and gave to the poor: his good deeds will never be forgotten.

The one who provides seed for the sower and bread for food will provide you with all the seed you want and make the harvest of your good deeds a larger one.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRobbqZuimIW86LnPIFgK0

CHANGE

“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Rob Siltanen

“The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.” ― Albert Einstein

“Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change.” ― Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

“You can’t stop the future. You can’t rewind the past. The only way to learn the secret …is to press play.” ― Jay Asher, Thirteen Reasons Why

“Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” ― George Bernard Shaw

0811-624x468.png

---O0O---

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwxeJKts2vnyqmymFlvbe

"Quaeremus inventum," said St. Augustine: "Let us seek Him Whom we
have found." In truth a certain "finding" of God is necessary to whet
our appetite, to lead us to seek Him more deeply. Once that happens,
however, we can go on seeking God for the rest of time and eternity
and never get to the end of His infinite love and mercy.

Even in heaven the journey will go on, with us always being creature and Him
always loving Creator. We will never end our quest, but we will love
it. We will never reach the ground zero essence of God, but that will never
frustrate us in heaven. We shall go deeper and deeper into Him for all eternity.

(http://www.stmarysmonastery.org)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6-CT7DNVx0-xqvyVxcqQ

Catholic Joy

and

The Gift of a Snse of Humour

http://www.catholicstand.com/catholic-joy/

Excerpt only: "Another Trappist, Thomas Merton, was asked if  it was possible to tell if someone had truly undergone  inner purification, becoming transformed into the image of Christ.

“It is very difficult to tell but usually it is accompanied by a wonderful sense of humour.”

Humour, the ability to laugh and not take ourselves too seriously, puts the grueling process of inner transformation into perspective. If I am self-centered instead of God-centered, everything becomes intense and dramatic. When I take my eyes off myself, my faith, myreligious practices,  my spiritual ‘progress’,  my sins and rather look at my Saviour, everything comes back into the proper perspective. I am filled with joy, the joy of the Lord.

There are many amusing stories about the saints which illustrate their joy. While on a journey to visit one of her convents,  a donkey dumped St. Teresa of Avila  into a stream of freezing cold water.  Standing in her water-logged, heavy habit, she yelled at God,

“If this is how you treat your friends, no wonder you have so few!”

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_SuE1OI_T9mnXnd5-Kcz

With my valued SD having passed away on 31st July 2018 last, I have decided at this point to journey on without a director unless and until I can find one (does not charge) and with whom I am compatible and he/she is with me.  I am blest to have had in my journey to date two outstanding SD/Confessors, both of whom were priests and religious.   Both now deceased and both my SDs/Confessors until their deaths.

I very humbly ask Divine Providence to be my guide unless/until I can find a suitable director, hopefully a priest for Confessor as well.

"To the rich man, Lazarus was part of the landscape. If ever he did notice him, it never struck him that Lazarus had anything to do with him. He was simply unaware of his presence, or, if he was aware of it, he had no sense of responsibility for it...

A person may well be condemned, not for doing something, but for doing nothing."

... William Barclay (1907-1978)

0815-624x468.png

Edited by BarbaraTherese

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1AUwaaC-c5BZy0X1dqt8

All about  G O S S I P

https://catholicexchange.com/prevent-gossip-think-speaking?mc_cid=4fccabd4b3&mc_eid=1ea4a385a2

Gossip not only occurs through verbal statements. I think gossip can occur on Pham when I bring up previous posts by another member as a means of personally criticizing that member....

....oh, it isn't gossip its the truth? !!!

The other point is that I really should stick to the subject, and not criticize a member on a personal level.  I am gossiping.

Excerpt Only - read MORE on above link: 

"How can we know whether or not we have the right to judge someone, either in thought or speech? Again, St. Thomas Aquinas answers the question with three points:

1. I must have authority over the other person. (In other words, if you are a parent, you have authority over your children. If you are a husband, you have authority over your wife. If you are a priest, you have authority over the laity, etc.)
  2. It must be done according to justice.
  3. I must have knowledge of the person’s interior life. (Do we really know someone else’s interior disposition? Rarely, if ever, unless you are a spiritual director/confessor and truly have the gift of knowledge to read that person’s soul.)

Because these conditions are so seldom met, it’s prudent for us to remain silent more than we speak — or at least stop and T.H.I.N.K. before contributing to a conversation about another person. The downfall of gossiping is that it leads to judgment of another person and violates the virtue of temperance."