An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

Thank you for the link, incidentally, Oremus1.  I read (quite some years ago indeed) something by Dom Columba Marmion but cannot recall what it was. 

BarbTherese

Re those suffering mentally.  I wanted to include this in this thread while it was floating around in my mind.  If one is suffering mentally in any way including a chronic mental illness, it is important that one works out what is going to work for oneself - and it can be quite misleading even risking one's mental health to take a great deal of notice of what others might be doing and applying that somehow to oneself.

With mental problems, it is important to understand that one's , one's mental health issues,  come under the umbrella of God's Will.  Therefore, coming under the umbrella of God's Will as they do, whatever adjustments we need make in our lives to live constructively as possible with mental health issues is a God-ordained duty of our vocation in life.

I have needed myself to work out what does work for me and insofar as I can be aware this does keep me in stable mental health.  One can refer matters to one's spiritual director if one chooses.  But for we who suffer MI, there is something else to be noted and that is that rather often spiritual directors do not have training in MI issues - and very unfortunately.  It can be absolutely helpful if one can discuss matters with one's psychiatrist, but this can have very real problems too because they have no training in spiritual issues.

It is a great challenge and even a great difficulty to journey through life with MI issues and one really does need to take as much stress and pressure off oneself as one is able without getting ridiculous - and this is going to take common sense and Grace and indeed insight into one's own brand of MI or MI issues.  This is not only an exercise in good mental health practise, but it is also a sound spiritual road in which one can invest total confidence.

I think if one reads through the above, or at least I sure do hope so, it can illustrate just how difficult even confusing a journey through life with MI or MI issues can be.  The Lord knows this and His Understanding, Compassion and Mercy is absolutely Infinite, having no boundaries.  It is not accomplishment re spiritual issues etc. nor success that He asks, it is the desire to live a holy life pleasing to Him.  Unlike some other dispositions and persons in life, we do not have the strength nor the Grace to live as they might - our strengths and Graces lie elsewhere and primarily in a quite gigantic understanding of the Compassion, Insight and Mercy of God, His Gentle Fatherhood.  Not only that but a great gift ............... to live faithful under very difficult circumstances.

I hope I have said the above right - my disclaimer is that I am under a bit of pressure just now.

BarbTherese

Psalm 145 (Douay Rheims translation)http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=21&ch=145&l=2#x

" Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. His spirit shall go forth, and he shall return into his earth: in that day all their thoughts shall perish. 

Blessed is he who hath the God of Jacob for his helper, whose hope is in the Lord his God" 

BarbTherese

For me, a part of living faithful to The Lord is an understanding that I am indeed a weak creature and that I need to regularly confess my sins in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.   Being faithful, is not about sinlessness to me creature that I am, it is not about never straying up a creek and round a bend -  it is about also being faithful to The Lord's Love and Mercy and embracing it with loving gratitude and praise by honestly confessing my sins and failings.     The justification of the 'sinless' and the sinner is very much illustrated in the parable of Jesus of the Pharisee and the Publican http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=49&ch=18&l=13#x   It is not the Pharisee (who claims that he is sinless and done all things right just as they should be done). It is not him that The Lord smiles upon, rather it is the poor publican who does not dare to raise his eyes to Heaven acknowledging his sinful state.

Luke Ch18      "And to some who trusted in themselves as just, and despised others, he spoke also this parable: Two men went up into the temple to pray: the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

The Pharisee standing, prayed thus with himself: O God, I give thee thanks that I am not as the rest of men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, as also is this publican. I fast twice in a week: I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not so much as lift up his eyes towards heaven; but struck his breast, saying: O God, be merciful to me a sinner. I say to you, this man went down into his house justified rather than the other: because every one that exalteth himself, shall be humbled: and he that humbleth himself, shall be exalted."

BarbTherese

Douay Rheims Translation Psalm 33 http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=21&ch=33&l=15#x

Turn away from evil and do good: seek after peace and pursue it.

The eyes of the Lord are upon the just: and his ears unto their prayers. But the countenance of the Lord is against them that do evil things: to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth. The just cried, and the Lord heard them: and delivered them out of all their troubles. The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a contrite heart: and he will save the humble of spirit.  Many are the afflictions of the just; but out of them all will the Lord deliver them.

Who are the just?

Catholic Culture - Catholic Dictionary https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/dictionary/index.cfm?id=34424" Depending on the sins from which a person is to be delivered, there are different kinds of justification. An infant is justified by baptism and the faith of the one who requests or confers the sacrament. Adults are justified for the first time either by personal faith, sorrow for sin and baptism, or by the perfect love of God, which is at least an implicit baptism of desire. Adults who have sinned gravely after being justified can receive justification by sacramental absolution or perfect contrition for their sins. (Etym. Latin justus, just + facere, to make, do: justificatio.) "  (The whole text can be read on the above link)

BarbTherese

Lastly on this subject (I think!), is a reflection on the life of St Therese of Lisieux:

http://www.sttherese.webhero.com/
                Theresa of Lisieux was known for falling asleep during prayer hours in the chapel but she noted that 'God loved her even though she often slept during the time for prayer'. The Church would recognize a profound and valuable teaching in 'the little way'--an awareness of one's limitations, the wholehearted giving of what one has no matter how small the gift.

Mental health problems of all kinds are going to present us with limitations and sometimes these limitations can really and truly limit one to within certain boundaries in life.  The key is to recognise what one's limitations in life might be and this is where a good psychiatrist can be very helpful in facilitating one to recognise just what those limitations actually are - of course, however, a psychiatrist is not absolutely necessary in discerning limitations.  Common sense is a pretty good guide as are those we trust who know us well.  Our limitations could be said to be God nudging us "Go this far, but no further".

In the extract from the life of St Therese, she was duty bound to observe her Carmelite Rule of Life.   She often fell asleep during private prayer time and she had two options.  She could either be distressed and stressed, loose Peace, because she was not keeping her Rule of Life as she was vowed to do, or she could reflect on her relationship with God.  Therese did the latter.  There is a dynamic therein.  We too have a choice, we can either disturb our Peace of mind, heart and soul by reflection on our relationship with various important matters (but not issues of sin and Therese did not deliberately use Prayer time to go to sleep) and where we have failed therein, or we can reflect on our relationship with God in the situation.  The task then becomes, to me, a matter of defining who God is to me and how I am relating to Him.

In my sinfulness, I can always turn to God's Love and Mercy which never ever fails if one is sorry.  For Catholics, we have sure and absolute Mercy in The Sacrament of Reconciliation no matter how seriously one has failed. Deo Gratius!

BarbTherese

I have had a lot of trouble and time with the formatting of this post, hope it comes out ok!

A question posed in Catholic Questions and Answers Forum (Answer available by clicking onto thread title below):

While "single" and even "singlehood" are Catholic cultural terms, the vocation to the lay celibate life is better termed and more accurately as a vocation to the "celibate state in the laity" - it is more descriptive of the actual call and vocation by God per se.  Celibate and its meaning is probably obvious although the actual call and vocation within the laity would be more accurately described as "chaste state in the laity".  "Laity" and its inherent duties are all spelt out very clearly in the documents out of Rome on the laity.  "Celibacy" is probably more about the state of life, while "Chastity" is about the duties of the celibate state in this instance i.e. this thread.  Certainly, anyone making private vows, usually makes at least a vow to Chastity where the chaste or celibate state in the laity is concerned.

I know that all this might seem a bit pedantic - but if I can get our terminology in Church terms correct and spot on, then I think I can get closer to what the actual 'single' vocation and call is all about and in Church understanding of the vocation.  The Church is painstakingly exact and precise in Her terminology.

Quotations below are taken from the Catholic Culture Dictionary : https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/dictionary/index.cfm?id=32393

CHASTITY - Chastity and purity, modesty and decency are comparable in that they have the basic meaning of freedom from whatever is lewd or salacious. Yet they also differ. Chastity implies an opposition to the immoral in the sense of lustful or licentious. It suggests refraining from all acts or thoughts that are not in accordance with the Church's teaching about the use of one's reproductive powers. It particularly stresses restraint and an avoidance of anything that might defile or make unclean the soul because the body has not been controlled in the exercise of its most imperious passion. (Etym. Latin castus, morally pure, unstained.)

Chastity - The virtue that moderates the desire for sexual pleasure according to the principles of faith and right reason. In married people, chastity moderates the desire in conformity with their state of life; in unmarried people who wish to marry, the desire is moderated by abstention until (or unless) they get married; in those who resolve not to marry, the desire is sacrificed entirely.

CELIBACY -

The state of being unmarried and, in Church usage, of one who has never been married. Catholicism distinguishes between lay and ecclesiastical celibacy, and in both cases a person freely chooses for religious reasons to remain celibate.

Lay celibacy was practiced already in the early Church. The men were called "the continent" (continentes) and women "virgins" (virgines). They were also known as ascetics who were encouraged to follow this form of life by St. Paul. According to the Apostle, "An unmarried man can devote himself to the Lord's affairs, all he need worry about is pleasing the Lord . . . In the same way an unmarried woman, like a young girl, can devote herself to the Lord's affairs; all she need worry about is being holy in body and spirit" (I Corinthians 7:32, 34). Throughout history the Church has fostered a celibate life in the lay state. Towering among the means of sanctity available to the laity, declared the Second Vatican Council, "is that precious gift of divine grace given to some by the Father to devote themselves to God alone more easily with an undivided heart in virginity or celibacy. This perfect continence for love of the kingdom of heaven has always been held in high esteem by the Church as a sign and stimulus of love, and as a singular source of spiritual fertility in the world" (Constitution on the Church, 42).

Ecclesiastical celibacy was a logical development of Christ's teaching about continence (Matthew 19:10-12). The first beginnings of religious life were seen in the self-imposed practice of celibacy among men and women who wished to devote themselves to a lifetime following Christ in the practice of the evangelical counsels. Celibacy was one of the features of the earliest hermits and a requirement of the first monastic foundations under St. Pachomius (c. 290-346). Over the centuries religious celibacy has been the subject of the Church's frequent legislation. The Second Vatican Council named chastity first among the evangelical counsels to be practiced by religious and said that "It is a special symbol of heavenly benefits, and for religious it is a most effective means of dedicating themselves wholeheartedly to the divine service and the works of the apostolate' (Decree on the Up-to-date Renewal of Religious Life, 12). (Etym. Latin caelibatus, single life, celibacy.)

Edited by BarbaraTherese

BarbTherese

"Chaste state in the laity" would also embrace married life, which is why I use the terminology the vocation and call as "celibate state in the laity".  Chastity, indeed, is a call to all the baptised regardless of their state in life - chastity in accord with their particular state in life.

States of Life in The Church: Holy Orders, Marriage, Consecrated Life, Lay Celibacy (lay celibacy can be either transitional or permanent. It is transitional for those who anticipate or are discerning a call into another state of life.  Permanent for those committed to lay celibacy for life, although it does remain open to a further call to another state of life without anticipating or discerning same)

If one has vowed or promised lay celibacy for life, dispensation from a priest (see Canon Law) would be required to enter into Marriage, while it is not required for Holy Orders or Consecrated Life.

BarbTherese

I am tentatively starting a blog.  This morning, I realized that a Blog would put my posts into Categories which would be helpful to any reader.  It does strike me as a time consuming sort of exercise and my hope is that as I become familiar with the ins and outs of blogging, it wont be so problematic in time consumed.  I am not posting a link to the blog just yet as I still unsure if I want to go on with the exercise due to the time factor - also, what I am doing is transferring posts from this thread into the blog so those following this thread will have read the posts already.  Once I am convinced that a blog is my call, then I will post the link.

BarbTherese

Well, after my previous post an hour ago with great hopes- I have a day off today and have already spent over 2hrs trying to figure out the WordPress blog - without success.  I very much doubt I will be posting a blog :wacko:  I absolutely refuse to go back to WordPress!

BarbTherese

This is another post from a different thread into Vocation Forum here on Phatmass that I should include here.  I will rarely speak about the content of my psychotic episodes because they do bring back to me painful memories, confusions and unknowing - vague memories I cannot be sure happened, others come back suddenly and vividly and I know it happened but had forgotten but could not recall if I had confessed - although more recently these are quickly transitory events since Father instructed me in Confession to never go into the past again.  Flashbacks are no longer events that bring me confusion and grief over an extended period. 

Even though I was in the revolving door of a psychiatric unit with serious psychotic bipolar episodes, Bethany as a way of life continued to function between episodes, once I returned back to Bethany and my mental state was stable.

It is impossible for me to describe the agony of heart. mind and soul Bipolar has triggered - and over more than two decades.  I don't wonder if I am a repentant sinner or not knowing that I am.  But all such soul searching I have been able to put at Peace and go on as if nothing happened in the first place.  If I am culpable of whatever might have happened in my past, I have made a good Confession and therefore that past exists for neither The Lord and therefore, not for me either.  It is now as if nothing happened in the first place - which is our theology of The Sacrament of Reconciliation.

The problem I had to grapple with was some things that happened during an episode were vivid in memory but I could not recall if I had confessed them or not.  While other things would come back to me many years later indeed and off to Confession I would go unsure if I had confessed the matter or matters or not and it would be something(s) quite some years back during psychotic episodes, sometimes ten to fifteen or so years back - or even longer.  I still have flashbacks into my psychotic years - I don't know whether this is normal or whether it might be the result of being treated with LSD when I first fell ill.  LSD was then legal for psychiatric use in Australia over 40 years now when I was first ill - LSD is now illegal for psychiatric use.

I am a cradle Catholic and probably in my forties I went through great struggles with my Catholicism.  During my teens too, I had struggles - but nothing like what was to lay ahead. Certainly during my psychotic episodes of Bipolar I have had a colourful past.  Was it a very sinful past? There is no way of knowing just what the level of my own culpability might be.  This fact caused me tremendous struggles indeed until I went to Confession one day and Father told me to never go back into the past again.  From then on I was at complete Peace and this was the second time I had what was to me a near on miracle through Confession.  The first was a cure of scruples.

I have found increasing Peace in the knowledge of The Lord's Love and Mercy which indeed, to me, surpasses absolutely all understanding.

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/135223-penitent-sinners-who-offered-their-lives-to-christ-and-became-saints/?

BarbTherese

Something occurred to me last night and this morning I tried it out and it led me to what was confusing me.  I have the blog at least begun with a few posts that are actually taken from the beginning of this thread and gradually I will transfer this whole thread to the blog - as it seems to me now that is - with the problem I had with WordPress resolved.

I haven't yet made, I don't think, the blog public but once I am convinced for sure I am travelling in the way I am meant to do so, then I will make it public and advise the link.  I also will speak to my SD about it and I don't see him until the second week in May 2015.  Meanwhile, all being well, I will continue to transfer this thread to the blog.  There might be some quite minor adjustments to some posts only.  Also, to transfer this whole thread is going to take me quite some time I should imagine.

BarbTherese

Well, I have started a blog on WordPress and will be slowly transferring this thread on to the blog.  It will probably take me quite some times - sick dog at the moment and vet fees rising not much heart for the computer at all ............ but all in The Lord's Hands.  I am going to try to refrain from posting into this thread as much as I can until I have the whole thread transferred to the blog.  The benefit of a blog is that posts are categorized and easier to find the various subjects I am hoping.  I probably wont be posting anything new into the blog either until I have the whole of this thread transferred.  See what unfolds.  I am seeing my SD in roughly two weeks and if he thinks a blog is not a good idea, it will be deleted.  

Blog URL : https://barbbethany.wordpress.com/  (Thank you to oremus1 for suggestion re starting a blog)

Prayer for my little dog, Buddie (Maltese cross) much appreciated.  The next few days will determine whether it is something passing or something more serious.  I had much planned for this year and some of it is in process - all costing dollars.  In January 2016, I was hoping to travel interstate for my 70th and my son's 50th, 5 days apart.............but my bank account is slowly emptying due to vet's fees.  As much as I know  intellectually all is in The Lord Hands, I still feel lousy about it all.  Ah well, perhaps I might learn a lesson in humility through underscoring self-knowledge of where I am really at!

BarbTherese

Well, I have started a blog on WordPress and will be slowly transferring this thread on to the blog.  It will probably take me quite some times - sick dog at the moment and vet fees rising not much heart for the computer at all ............ but all in The Lord's Hands.  I am going to try to refrain from posting into this thread as much as I can until I have the whole thread transferred to the blog.  The benefit of a blog is that posts are categorized and easier to find the various subjects I am hoping.  I probably wont be posting anything new into the blog either until I have the whole of this thread transferred.  See what unfolds.  I am seeing my SD in roughly two weeks and if he thinks a blog is not a good idea, it will be deleted.  

Blog URL : https://barbbethany.wordpress.com/

Not too happy about WordPress just advising me that advertisements might appear on my blog.  I have no control over who advertises what - will wait and see what unfolds.  To eliminate advertisements, I need to upgrade at a cost of $99 year.

Prayer for my little dog, Buddie (Maltese cross) much appreciated.  The next few days will determine whether it is something passing or something more serious.  I had much planned for this year and some of it is in process - all costing dollars.  In January 2015, I was hoping to travel interstate for my 70th and my son's 50th.............as my bank account is slowly emptying due to vet's fees.  As much as I know  intellectually all is in The Lord Hands, I still feel lousy about it all.  Ah well, perhaps I might learn a lesson in humility through self-knowledge of where I am really at!