An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

Today's Saint Quote

POPE FRANCIS - CONSULT BIBLE LIKE

MOBILE PHONE

"Speaking to the crowds gathered in St Peter's Square following his weekly Angelus blessing, the Pope urged those present to give the Bible the same place in daily life as mobile phones.................

..............."If we always carried God's Word in our hearts, no temptation would distance us from the Father, and no obstacle would take us off the path towards good" he said. He pointed out that in this first Sunday of Lent, the Gospel of Matthew tells of Jesus' 40 days in the desert and of how he was tempted by the devil.

"But the devil's poisonous darts are all 'blocked' by Jesus with the shield provided by God's Word," Pope Francis said MORE HERE

Immaculate, Mary! 
Our hearts are on fire. 
That title so wondrous 
Fills all our desire! 

We pray for God's glory, 
May His Kingdom come. 
We pray for His Vicar, 
Our Father, and Rome. 

We pray for our Mother, 
The Church upon earth. 
And bless, sweetest Lady, 
The land of our birth. 

Visions & Revelations

“Desire not inordinately visions and revelations (which are sometimes granted even to the wicked). Those who foolishly seek after them, and thoughtlessly lend faith to them, are easily deceived by Satan, who transformeth himself into an angel of light (2 Cor. 11: 14), and in order to mislead, mostly mingles truth with falsehood.”
- Louis de Blois [16th C.], The Spiritual Mirror, Ch. XI

(It is also good to be careful not to place too much credence in “visions and revelations” reported by others. If these conflict with Scripture or the teachings of the Church, pay them no mind.)

Today's Saint Quote

GIVE TO JESUS ONE'S MISERY

Jesus to St. Faustina:

“My daughter, you have not offered Me that which is really yours

…Daughter, give Me your misery, because it is your exclusive property.” (Diary, 1318)

St Vincent's Quote of the Day

Mar 09, 2017

This is how God usually works: He separates and then reunites;

He distances and then brings close together;

He takes away and then gives back; lastly, He destroys and restores, leaving nothing permanent in this life (VI:569).

When Holiness Seems Impossible

St Frances of Rome (and the cunning of the devil when life seems to go against one and one's plans, making holiness imposssible) :

HERE

St Vincent de Paul Society Daily Reflection

Mar 12, 2017

“We cannot have peace with God, with our neighbor and with ourselves, unless Jesus Christ grants it to us.”
– St. Louise de Marillac

FIFTEEN PROMISES OF THE HOLY ROSARY

In the thirteenth century, Saint Dominic and Blessed Alan received the following promises from Our Lady for all those who faithfully pray the Rosary:

1. To all those who shall pray my Rosary devoutly, I promise my special protection and great graces.
  2. Those who shall persevere in the recitation of my Rosary will receive some special grace.
  3. The Rosary will be a very powerful armor against hell; it will destroy vice, deliver from sin and dispel heresy.
  4. The rosary will make virtue and good works flourish, and will obtain for souls the most abundant divine mercies. It will draw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
  5. Those who trust themselves to me through the Rosary will not perish.
  6. Whoever recites my Rosary devoutly reflecting on the mysteries, shall never be overwhelmed by misfortune. He will not experience the anger of God nor will he perish by an unprovided death. The sinner will be converted; the just will persevere in grace and merit eternal life.
  7. Those truly devoted to my Rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.
  8. Those who are faithful to recite my Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces and will share in the merits of the blessed.
  9. I will deliver promptly from purgatory souls devoted to my Rosary.
  10. True children of my Rosary will enjoy great glory in heaven.
  11. What you shall ask through my Rosary you shall obtain.
  12. To those who propagate my Rosary I promise aid in all their necessities.
  13. I have obtained from my Son that all the members of the Rosary Confraternity shall have as their intercessors, in life and in death, the entire celestial court.
  14. Those who recite my Rosary faithfully are my beloved children, the brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ.
  15. Devotion to my Rosary is a special sign of predestination.

Confraternity of The Holy Rosary

Australia
Holy Rosary Centre
GPO Box 417
Canberra
ACT 2601

St Vincent de Paul -  Quote of the Day

Mar 14, 2017

May God’s good pleasure be always the peace and tranquillity

of our afflicted hearts (VII:15).

Ascent of Mt Carmel - St John of the Cross

BOOK THE FIRST

Wherein is described the nature of dark night and how necessary it is to pass through it to Divine union; and in particular this book describes the dark night of sense, and desire, and the evils which these work in the soul.

CHAPTER V Wherein the aforementioned subject is treated and continued, and it is shown by passages and figures from Holy Scripture how necessary it is for the soul to journey to God through this dark night of the mortification of desire in all things.

8. God permits not that any other thing should dwell together with Him. Wherefore we read in the first Book the Kings that, when the Philistines put the Ark of the Covenant into the temple where their idol was, the idol was cast down upon the ground at the dawn of each day, and broken to pieces. And He permits and wills that there should be only one desire where He is, which is to keep the law of God perfectly, and to bear upon oneself the Cross of Christ. And thus naught else is said in the Divine Scripture to have been commanded by God to be put in the Ark, where the manna was, save the book of the Law, and the rod Moses, which signifies the Cross. For the soul that aspires naught else than the keeping of the law of the Lord perfectly and the bearing of the Cross of Christ will be a true Ark, containing within itself the true manna, which is God, when that soul attains to a perfect possession within itself of this law and this rod, without any other thing soever.

Daily Reflection - St Vincent de Paul Society

Mar 16, 2017

“God does not ask us to keep an account of the visible fruits of our charity;

He asks us simply to love ‘with all our strength’.

He does not ask us to give him the world, but to ‘give him ourselves’.”
                                                                                                      – Rev. Joseph Jamet, C.M.

(CM = Congregation of The Mission, founded by St Vincent de Paul)

GUIDELINES FOR ESTABLISHING A NEW RELIGIOUS INSTITUTE

Found the above on the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference website.  It would probably be of interest to anyone considering establishing a new religious institute; however for my own purposes, it is a reference document only.

HERE