BarbTherese

There is nothing but Mystery in the world

and how it hides behind the fabric of our poor

and brownbeat days.

It shines so brightly

and we don't even know it

"The Secret Life of Bees" Sue Monk Kid

We were not present some 2000 odd years ago when Jesus was crucified;

however, in contemplating Jesus in every person, including the suffering and the ill,

we are able to effect for Jesus what we were not able to effect, if we would, 

those 2000 odd years ago when Jesus was crucified.

We can be very sure that every single person

has their cross to carry and

"Bear one another's burdens, and so you will fulfill the law of Christ." (Galatians Ch6)

Jesus asks us to treat every person as our neighbour, no matter creed, colour or religion, moral or social status. 

Matthew Chapter 22:  "He (Jesus) said to him, 22 "You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: 23 You shall love your neighbor as yourself. The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments."

Divine Mercy Is the Indispensable Medicine:

"Address to the participants in the course on the Internal Forum. If you can read this without worrying about various points of confusion the Pope has introduced in the past, you will find his vision both beautiful and profound." (From Catholic Culture.org)

Vincent's Quote of the Day - St Vincent de Paul Society:

Mar 25, 2017

Let us finish what we have begun and our Lord will help us (VII:71).

“I see nothing more common than poor results from things done with precipitation.”
– St. Vincent de Paul

CHAT & DEO GRATIUS

On and off I have been watching two mini-series on FoxtelGo: "Scandal" (politics) and "The Good Wife" (the law and those who practise law).  I have never regretted being (to the secular mind very often) 'on the bottom', but these two series, if they in any way approximate the truth, have turned me to continual rejoicing and thankfulness to indeed be consigned far from the corridors of power and just about as far as one can get almost.

The above does not mean that I think that those in politics and/or practising law are unimportant.  On the contrary, they are of great importance and the call is to put Jesus first in those vocations (as with all vocations) and that would be quite a challenge in politics and law - to my imagination, if the series is any approximation to the truth.  Prayer for those in politics and/or practising law.

I do think that the plots and scripts on these two series are excellent as are the actors - although a matter of taste and even perspective.  A bonus indeed is the that violence and sex is absolutely minimal and since it is on FoxtelGo, I can fast forward where it does (briefly) occur.  Not only that it is easy for me to abandon both series and pick up again at a later time. I have never had a taste for either sex or violence as a form of entertainment, nor have I ever had a taste for violence at any time at all.

Both series are a form of escapism - and to my mind reality can be harsh at times; hence, I am not afraid of some escapism now and then.  Balance is an important factor and gift of The Holy Spirit to spirituality.  Not only that, but it has been my experience that The Holy Spirit is no snob and sometimes can communicate what He chooses to communicate in the most unlikely of ways even through escapism as genre.  That reminded me of today's Gospel and the man cured of blindness.  Lord that I might see and keep my eyes, heart and mind open to Your Presence and Your Inspirations everywhere  - in any place at all and at any time through any person, place or thing.  Amen.

vincent quote

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Humility, Simplicity, Divinity

Vatican City, Mar 9, 2015 / 08:11 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- If there’s one thing that marks the presence of God, it’s humility rather than making a scene, Pope Francis said Monday.

“This is how the Lord acts: He does things simply. He speaks silently to you, to the heart,” Francis told attendees of his March 9 daily Mass, held in the chapel of the Vatican’s Saint Martha guesthouse. When it comes to God and his action in the world, it is “the simple things” that mark his presence, the Pope said, adding that the humility of God “is the divine style, never the spectacle.”

He pointed to Biblical history as evidence of God’s simple style. Even as far back as creation, God chose to form man out of mud rather than use a “magic wand” to create him.  From Moses to David to the baby Jesus in the manger, the Bible teaches us that God’s divine way is one of humility, Pope Francis explained. When God freed his people from slavery, he did it “through the faith and confidence of a man, Moses. When He desired to cause the fall of the powerful city of Jericho, He did so through a prostitute. And for the conversion of the Samaritans, He required the work of another sinner,” he said. ............Catholic News Agency MORE

4 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

CHAT & DEO GRATIUS

On and off I have been watching two mini-series on FoxtelGo: "Scandal" (politics) and "The Good Wife" (the law and those who practise law).  I have never regretted being (to the secular mind very often) 'on the bottom', but these two series, if they in any way approximate the truth, have turned me to continual rejoicing and thankfulness to indeed be consigned far from the corridors of power and just about as far as one can get almost.

The above does not mean that I think that those in politics and/or practising law are unimportant.  On the contrary, they are of great importance and the call is to put Jesus first in those vocations (as with all vocations) and that would be quite a challenge in politics and law - to my imagination, if the series is any approximation to the truth.  Prayer for those in politics and/or practising law.

Just occurred to me as I pondered my thanksgiving to be on the 'bottom of the pile' far from any sort of corridor of power, that with the vocations to the legal and political (and every vocation) comes those Graces necessary to follow Jesus and His Gospel and to fulfil one's vocational role and call to holiness.:oops:

Again, prayer for those in the legal and political vocations.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Daily Reflection - St Vincent de Paul Society

Mar 26, 2017

“Our Lord’s sufferings made his words fruitful,

and your crosses will do the same to the holy seed that you sow in hearts.”
– St. Louise de Marillac

Did not want to post the following into the Vocations Forum.   See thread HERE in VF.

A few questions I asked myself:

Do I always take myself and my spirituality too seriously and am overly sensitive? 

Is my spirituality rich in light with Joy and humour - or is it dark, heavy and oppressive?

Has political correctness gone too far?

The Lord Jesus brings healing and restoration

to those who trust in him

Jesus' miraculous healings show his generous kindness and extravagant love - a love that bends down in response to our misery and wretched condition. Is there any area in your life where you need healing, pardon, change, and restoration? If you seek the Lord with trust and expectant faith, he will not disappoint you. He will meet you more than half way and give you what you need. The Lord Jesus never refused anyone who put their trust in him. Surrender your doubts and fears, your pride and guilt at his feet, and trust in his saving word and healing love.

"Lord Jesus, your love never fails and your mercy is unceasing. Give me the courage to surrender my stubborn pride, fear and doubts to your surpassing love, wisdom and knowledge. Make be strong in faith, persevering in hope, and constant in love." http://dailyscripture.servantsoftheword.org/readings/2017/mar27.htm

BEING LEAVEN

Christians must be concerned with being leaven in society more than with being a majority.

(Pope Francis, Milan Archdiocese's Pastoral Workers)

Vincent's Quote of the Day - St Vincent de Paul Society

Mar 27, 2017

We must continue to do good, even though people of the world may criticize us (VII:105).

It is often almost the mark of discipleship to be negatively criticised, which is a (hopefully mild) form of persecution when it is unjustified.  "They have persecuted Me and they will persecute you"

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Debra Little

I am so happy for u!. God has been working things out in your favor and giving u His blessing.  Praised be Abba!

Will keep u in my heart and in my prayers. 

In The News

Pope Francis: Baptism

March 27, 2017

Reflecting on the day’s Gospel reading at Mass (Jn. 9:1-41), Pope Francis said during his March 26 Angelus address that the healing of the man born blind “causes us to reflect on our faith in Christ, the Son of God, and at the same time, also refers to Baptism.”“We too have been ‘enlightened’ by Christ in Baptism, and then we are called to behave as children of light,” the Pope said to those gathered in St. Peter’s Square. “This requires a radical change in thinking, an ability to judge men and things according to a new scale of values, which comes from God.”The Pope added:

The Sacrament of Baptism, in fact, demands a choice, firm and decided, to live as children of light, and to walk in the light. What does it mean to walk in the light? It means first of all abandon the false ‘lights’: the cold and foolish light of prejudice against others … Another false ‘light,’ so seductive and unclear, is self-interest.

MORE

Don't take yourself too seriously -

Humour a function of Wisdom

and Gift of The Holy Spirit at Confirmation

"The Wit and Humour of The Saints" (Fr. Aloysius Roche) " Wisdom is from above, and it is the gift of the Holy Spirit; and hu­mor is part and parcel of wisdom. Humor is the salt of life, and to some extent it is the salt of the religious life, preserving it from de­cay. G. K. Chesterton says of St. Francis ofAssisi, “The sense of hu­mor salts all his escapades.” ................ “Laugh and grow strong,” St. Ignatius said; and to one of his novices, “I see you are always laughing, and I am glad of it.”..........." When she (St Teresa of Avila) was asked to give her opinion on a memorandum written by Senor Salcedo, this was her comment: “Senor Salcedo never stops repeating through the whole of his pa­per, ‘as St. Paul says,’ ‘as the Holy Spirit says’; and then he ends by regretting that he has written nothing but nonsense. I am going to denounce him to the Inquisition.”............

................"She (St Teresa of Avila) invented nicknames, and very clever ones, for those with whom she had dealings. The Nuncio was “Mathusalem,” the Calced Carmelites were “The Cats” and “The Owls”; and, of course, the Discalced were “The Eagles” and “The Butterflies.” She herself was sometimes “Poor Angela” and some­times “Laurentia.” She has explained the motive of it all: “What would become of our little house if each one of you hid the little wit you possess?” And in another letter she writes, “We are having great joy here, but we do not get tipsy.”.............

............."And this wit and humor of the saints is very instructive. It re­minds us of what we are apt to forget, of what we sometimes do not even suspect: that there is more real joy in a saint’s life than there is in all the intoxication of worldliness. All that comes from God is joyous, and holiness comes straight from Him and is, in fact, the only attribute of His that man can imitate. Piety in the saints is blended with all that is lighthearted and exhilarating. Fulbert of Chartres described the monastic spirit as a blend of “natural simplicity and angelic hilarity”; that is to say, the saints have some of the liveliness of the angels..............Read more HERE 

CHAT

More on Humour and Spirituality

There are some things in life that are serious and to be taken with due seriousness and with understanding, empathy and rich compassion.  Balance is a Gift of The Holy Spirit.  He forms one's attitudes and perspectives to give all things, oneself and one's spirituality included, right attitude and perspective, balance, and this includes at times humour as well.  All that is good comes from God (see James Ch1) and healthy laughter is a good.

My spirituality should have a lightness and dancing quality weaved through my whole personality at all times and everywhere -  fashioning a spirit that brings compassionate understanding as well as Joy to others.  Laughter is a function of Joy which is a fruit of The Holy Spirit and evidence of His Presence and Action.  It is that self-same compassionate, understanding and merciful Grace that will alert to the sufferings of others.  It is too that self-same Grace that alerts to Joy and laughter in life where the serious matters of spirituality and my own salvation is balanced out with lightness and humour.  This is not only for my own benefit but surely for the benefit of others as well.

We are bearers ideally of Good News of Great Joy!  Hence the dour faced, stern and deadpan saints probably won't make the grade.

Come Holy Spirit, Creator come and inflame our hearts with Your Love, Your Joy and Your Laughter.

Gifts of The Holy Spirit at Confirmation: Wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety, and fear of the Lord (wonder).

Fruits of The Holy Spirit and evidence of His Presence and Action:  Love, joy, peace, forbearance/fortitude (patience and strength of soul), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."

Laudate Dominum

Edited by BarbaraTherese