An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

Daily Reflection - St Vincent de Paul Society

Jun 16, 2017

“The sufferings of Our Lord gave fecundity to His words, and your crosses will also give it to the holy seed you plant in hearts.”
– St. Vincent de Paul.

Just lately, the reflections have been focusing on life in religious life and the priesthood rather than laity; hence, I have not been posting as much as I would like from the Society.

Image result for we are only clay

Pope's Morning Homily 16th June 2017

"Don't Disguise, Admit You are God's Clay"

HERE

Excerpt Only

..................."Accept, Embrace Being His Clay

But St. Paul says, Francis reminded, it is God’s power that saves us in our vulnerability.

“Hence, we are troubled but not crushed; we are shaken but not desperate; we are persecuted but not abandoned; struck down but not killed. There is always this relationship between clay and power, clay and treasure.”

“But the temptation,” the Pope said, “is always the same: to cover, conceal and not believing we are made of clay.”

This, Francis stressed, is hypocrisy towards ourselves.".......................

Jun 17, 2017

“To correspond to the grace of the moment means a wonderful union between you and God all day.”

– St. Elizabeth Ann Seton

Image result for our hearts are restless

Our Hearts are Restless

If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing. If that is so, I must take care, on the one hand, never to despise, or to be unthankful for, these earthly blessings, and on the other, never to mistake them for the something else of which they are only a kind of copy, or echo, or mirage. I must keep alive in myself the desire for my true country, which I shall not find till after death; I must never let it get snowed under or turned aside; I must make it the main object of life to press on to that country and to help others to do the same.
― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
(Shalom Place - A Daily Spiritual Seed - Dominican Sisters of Peace)

“The beginning is faith, the end is love. . . and all else follows on these, ending in perfect goodness. No one who professes faith lives in sin, nor if he possesses love, does she live in hatred. The tree is manifest by its fruit. In like manner they who profess to be Christ’s, shall be apparent by their deeds. For at this time the Work is no mere matter of profession, but is seen only when one is found living in the power of faith unto the end.”
- Ignatius of Antioch (2nd C., A.D.), Epistle to the Ephesians

A Daily Spiritual Seed - Shalom Place - Dominican Sisters of Peace

Struggling each day just now........in a way.

–A priest was driving and gets stopped for speeding.

The state trooper smells alcohol on the priest’s breath and then sees an empty wine bottle on the floor of the car.

He says, “Father, have you been drinking?”

“Just water,” says the priest, fingers crossed.

The trooper says, “Then why do I smell wine?” The priest looks at the bottle and says, “Praise be to God! He’s done it again!”

Today's Saint Quote

Saint Irenaeus

(c. 130 – c. 202)

Saint Irenaeus’ Story

The Church is fortunate that Irenaeus was involved in many of its controversies in the second century. He was a student, well trained no doubt, with great patience in investigating, tremendously protective of apostolic teaching, but prompted more by a desire to win over his opponents than to prove them in error.

As bishop of Lyons he was especially concerned with the Gnostics, who took their name from the Greek word for “knowledge.” Claiming access to secret knowledge imparted by Jesus to only a few disciples, their teaching was attracting and confusing many Christians. After thoroughly investigating the various Gnostic sects and their “secret,” Irenaeus showed to what logical conclusions their tenets led. These he contrasted with the teaching of the apostles and the text of Holy Scripture, giving us, in five books, a system of theology of great importance to subsequent times. Moreover, his work, widely used and translated into Latin and Armenian, gradually ended the influence of the Gnostics.

The circumstances and details about his death, like those of his birth and early life in Asia Minor, are not at all clear.

Reflection

A deep and genuine concern for other people will remind us that the discovery of truth is not to be a victory for some and a defeat for others. Unless all can claim a share in that victory, truth itself will continue to be rejected by the losers, because it will be regarded as inseparable from the yoke of defeat. And so, confrontation, controversy and the like might yield to a genuine united search for God’s truth and how it can best be served.

Image result for bipolar

BIPOLAR DISORDER

Having bipolar can present daily challenges and especially if one is under some sort of stress.  Although I have not had a serious psychotic episode necessitating hospitalization in over, I dunno, probably 12 years now, I still suffer the illness.  While there might be nothing overt and observable, on the inside I can be going through 'bipolar stuff'.

For example, my brand of bipolar reacts to sunlight.  If there is sunlight, I am ok and energetic.  When the sun goes away and the day is grey and overcast, on the interior I can go through quite rapid mood swings and a trial or suffering one undergoes.  Such trials or sufferings are not a trial I cannot suppress where others are concerned and in their interests.  All of that is really accentuated and heightened during the change of seasons lasting days to weeks and certainly also if under stress.

While I say "in their interests", it is also in one's own interest.  People who claim to observe "strange behaviours" in bipolar sufferers may be simply observing the problems of suffering the illness right up to and including nothing to do at all with the illness.  One of the things I feel that contributed to my own journey out of psychotic episodes was that I observed the behaviour of 'normal' people in order to learn what was acceptable and what was not.  To be accepted out in the general community one really does need to be more or less the same as others.  That is a norm of our current society still, while the reality still is that we are all absolutely unique and different - each person is a one-of only, never to be repeated; however, general society feels distinctly uneasy (or even rejecting wholesale) about differences.  I read in Time Magazine years ago that sanity or "normal' is an ever shifting imaginary line set by society.  Take as an example only where homosexuality is concerned.  It was not only rejected outright by general society, it was treated as a crime, a criminal offence in law.  Look where that line has shifted to nowadays - homosexuality is very much accepted in society and certainly no longer criminal behaviour.

Probably most all bipolar sufferers know that change of expression if one states that one suffers the illness.  One may find too that those they had been friendly with are no longer so friendly.  This does not always happen of course, but it is not at all unusual.  One of the most difficult journeys with mental illness sufferers is stigma, identifying it for what it is and learning how to cope with it.

Those who do suffer bipolar will be certainly doing themselves a big favour by learning about their own particular unique brand of bipolar and how it affects them; to learn their triggers for their illness and how to cope with them.  Keeping in mind always, it is going to be a journey, not an overnight event.  The thing about these many journeys we go through in life ill or not ill, these journeys we wished could be indeed overnight events, is that it is an up and down struggle.  Sometimes we loose, sometimes we win.  The important fact is determination to succeed and acceptance of whatever unfolds in the journey.  I was really determined to never give up even if it was a struggle to my dying day.  Another important factor, and a very important one, is to have some sort of support system that will accept wherever you might be - be it up or down.

One of my very important support systems (and at times it has been the only one) is Phatmass and the Phatmass Phamily. :love:  Thanks heaps, @dUSt (founder and administrator of Phatmass).

Also listen to your therapist or psychiatrist and take prescribed medication as prescribed.  Most of all pray and be thankful and grateful to God reflecting on the blessings that are certainly and without doubt present in your life and journey.  Even one's illness is to be thankful and grateful about - it isthe case of the emperor wearing the weirdest of clothing.  No greater honour I don't think than to share somehow in the Sufferings of Jesus.  Not only that as wonderful and blest as it is, but I have learnt so much and grown in a way only dealing with an illness like mental illness could provide, I think...........short of some miracle that is. 

God is eminently humble and a lover of the very ordinary and humble.  Look at the exterior and quite ordinary type of life of the mother and foster father of Jesus in their times on earth, Jesus who is The Second Person of The Blessed Trinity.  Look too at the life of St Therese of Lisieux, an agreeably humble and quite ordinary Carmelite nun to her sisters in religion.  She was to become the greatest saint of the 20th century and a Doctor of The Church.  All achieved in a sort of backwater Carmelite monastery in France.

The thing about taking The Gospel seriously and striving to walk in the footsteps of Jesus is that you are going to be swimming against the tide of society -  sort of pushing a barrel uphill.  Jesus has told us "They have persecuted Me and they WILL persecute you"  Persecution of some kind somewhere, somehow, sometimes could be termed a badge of discipleship.

It is only by putting ALL into the context of Faith, of Jesus and His Gospel, His Church, that things really do start to make sense, have real meaning and be worth it all, in fact anything at all - indeed "the pearl of great price".

Gold is indeed wherever you might find it - remembering there are no such things as accidents, no such thing as coincidences with The Holy Spirit.  None whatsoever.  All is God's Providence, even to the "the hairs on our head"..............pure Gold.

Deo Gratius and Laudate Dominum.

--------------------------------

Here is what (in part)  Cardinal Lozano Barragán had to say (President Pontifical Council of Carers) in his Address at World Day of the Sick - February 18, 2006 in ADELAIDE, Australia https://zenit.org/articles/the-mentally-ill-patient-a-faithful-image-of-god-2/

Excerpt only: "Therefore, once the mental illness has caused such a disorder as to take away from the mentally ill patient any responsibility for his actions — qualifying them as separation from the divine will, as a sin — the mental patient cannot separate from God.

In other words, the image of God in him cannot be distorted. In this case his knowledge or his volitive option is no longer sufficient to motivate any human action that separates him from God. His bodily and psychic conditions do not allow him to commit a grave sin, given that in his state of disequilibrium he does not have that full knowledge and ability of assent required to sin.

If we approach the argument from this point of view, whereby the mentally ill patient does not have the knowledge or the faculty of full consent required to commit a mortal sin, his is not a deformed image of God, since that image can only be deformed by sin. Certainly, it is the suffering image of God, but not a deformed image. He is a reflection of the mystery of the victorious Cross of the Lord. Inspired by the image of the Suffering Servant of Yahweh (Isaiah 53:1-7) we are drawn to a conscious act of faith in the suffering Christ."

What an honour!!!

I just want to add this because it is very important.  Therapists and doctors are fellow human beings and can make mistakes.  Any mistakes they make are nothing to be overwhelmed by to the extent that they are totally devastating without recourse.  Since we all regardless live in God's Divine Providence always and forever, in the face of the mistakes and missteps of others which affect oneself, it is simply a matter of prayerfully deciding what to do and then following through.  It might mean one only decision, it might mean a series of decisions over time always with prayer and trust.

The Lord is forever providing at all times in all things.  With all things considered, the most terrible and devastating action on earth with no equal at all is mortal sin, which alone completely separates us from God and His Church.  Consider what Jesus has gifted to us in the Confessional, not once, not twice but for our whole journey with all its mistakes and missteps.

Me now methinks I really should abandon this jolly pulpit!!!

Image result for get off the stage

......until next time that is..........

Today's Saint Quote

MYSTERY

Jun 26, 2017

“Our happiness lies in the cross; even Our Lord did not will to enter his glory except through suffering.”
– St. Vincent de Paul

– Lord, I’ll never fully understand the mystery of suffering. All I ask is that you keep giving me the grace to use it well as a means of growth in your spirit.

FORGOT TO MENTION RE BIPOLAR

If I am experiencing depression, probably the worst thing I could do is isolate myself and indulge in depressive thoughts.  This is where Phatmass has been of great assistance to me - I have found that reading and posting into Phatmass will get my thoughts off myself in a depressive type of mode.  As well as that I read or watch TV if unable to find a real and supportive, accepting, person with whom to have a chat and cuppa.  And that is where I really miss my previous suburb and parish.  Be that as it may, I just might have found another helpful type of means that works for me........not yet tested.  I try to get creative about bipolar especially and find things that will help me through a nasty sort of patch.

It can be very difficult to near on impossible to concentrate in a depressed state - but I do try nonetheless.

Where a manic type of high is concerned.  The worst thing for me is mental stimulation and so I deliberately avoid going out.  I stay home and endeavour to use the energy of the high to go about things here in Bethany, including housework, garden and creative things.  Phatmass is again helpful to me at these times in that I strive to be quite detached - not investing in my own emotional level, detaching from it as much as I can for the purpose of posting.   I know that at these times of a manic type of high there can be underlying negativity that leads to anger that is irrational and overboard in relation to a situation.  Hence I do not contact people in any way if I know I am angry and manic or even a bit manic and high - and all at the same time.  Judgement and common sense has largely gone out the window.........right out.

I know in the above times that my thoughts are 'out of whack' and so avoid totally making decisions other than quite practical and ordinary everyday type of decisions. 

Most of all, I pray.  Not formally, rather spontaneously and the latter is where I am most at home.  That is what works best for me at the above times - and if it works for me and is not sinful, then I go with the flow.  I can find most often in more or less recent times that formal prayer (Hours of the Office) a real grind and try to keep it going as it is to pray with the whole Universal Church.  A fact of life even though I cannot feel it.

I do maintain with mental illness especially that we need to work out what is going to work for oneself and providing no sin is involved, to go with that.

There are those sufferers and where I have been myself, where all the above is impossible, totally impossible, in fact rational thought itself is impossible not because it is refused but because it does not exist for the sufferer - I keep my fellow mental illness sufferers in prayer.  Indeed, more things are worked in this world through prayer than this world could ever dream of (Fulton Sheen, I think).

Sometimes too, one can be a bit of this and a bit of that and really just all over the place - a burden of those suffering mental illness and at times as much confusing to the sufferer as to any 'normal' person.  

Image result for chiara corbella

BORN TO NEVER DIE

Chiara Corbella

Enrico Petrillo: “More than feeling that the world was against us, we knew that we were with the Lord."

The cause of canonization for the Italian laywoman Chiara Corbella opened June 13, the fifth anniversary of her death.

Here is a recent interview with her husband.."........   HERE

We exist in The Now, The Eternal Now. We are born never to die ("For 'In him we live and move and have our being" - Acts Chapter 17)

Image result for Blessed Catherine Jarrige

Blessed Catherine Jarrige

An unusual sort of saint who never entered religious life - rather a member of the celibate laity in a third order.

Pretended drunkenness was one of Blessed Catherine Jarrige's favorite ruses.

"How does a high-spirited, mischievous, prank-pulling little girl become a saint? By growing into a high-spirited, mischievous, prank-pulling adult—particularly if the pranks are pulled on the persecutors of the Church.................

.............her. All she wanted was to serve the Lord and his people, and she did just that. On July 4, the feast of Blessed Catherine Jarrige, let’s ask her intercession for strong and spirited women, that they would follow the Lord just as they are, rejoicing in who God made them to be and not attempting to fit into some other mold. Blessed Catherine Jarrige, pray for us!"